My First (budget) DVD Recorded - what to buy

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mattrixdesign, Jul 30, 2004.

1. mattrixdesign

mattrixdesign

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think its time to get a DVD recorder as prices now seem reasonble (cheaper than my last Sony VHS!). I have some specific requirements:

Capture/Record/Backup DV footage from my Sony DV cam
    Record TV from an NTL Set Top Box in RGB if possible
    Copy some DVDs that I play through from Toshiba DVD player into Recorder (obvioulsy not copy protected DVDs)
    Occasionally copy old VHS tapes to DVD

Good quality recording is required, but playback quality is not an issue, I will use my stand alone player for that.

I dont wants to spend £££s as I am sure prices will fall quicker and quality will increase over time.

I have seen these ones for sale:
    Philips DVDR70 = £149 (getting a bit old now?)
    Yamada DVR8000 = £119 .95 (RGB/but does it have DVin?)
    Dabs DVD+R/RW Recorder = £147.99 (DVin! I guess its some rebadged product, does any body know? It also has a TV tuner built in, is this an advantage)

Finally, are there any DVD Recorders/Free View Recievers with PVR functions due this year?

Any advice welcome...

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    And none of these have Time Base Correctors so are fairly useless for recording from old VHS tapes. And only the Philips/Yamada has RGB input (they ALL have TV tuners) but the neither has iLink.

If you want to make recordings that play on other machines (like your Toshiba), have iLink and RGB input and are good at copying from VHS the you should look at the Pioneer 320 or Toshiba DR2.

Might see the first few at the tail end of this year but all the decent models will start to appear from next year.

3. steve321

steve321

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    philips dvdr70 has now finished

best to save and go for the pana dmre65