My first blu-ray rip - mixed results!

Dave964

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I attempted my first blu-ray rip this week, so I could stream blu-ray to my PS3 from my NAS. It seems to have worked - but not quite as I expected.

It was a fairly painful process since my desktop PC is pretty old. It took about 22 hours to rip the disc to a hard drive, and ripbot took about 36 hours to make a MKV file! However, it at least proved the concept - I might upgrade the PC, or I might live with it since it's something I don't need to do often anyway - only got about 5 blu-ray discs so far.

I do have one problem though. After all that work - I clearly don't have a high-def file. The source (.mlps) file I converted was about 25GB. The resulting .264 file was about 15GB (with an audio file that was roughly 500MB). But the MKV file that Ripbot produced (and I then converted to VOB) is a mere 4.5GB, which is the same kind of size as when I rip an SD disc with DVD Shrink.

So somehow, I seem to have converted my HD film to SD, which is not really what I wanted to do. I am pretty sure my .h264 file was HD so I think it's RipBot which is causing the problem. Am I using the wrong tool, or have I done something wrong with the settings?

(and I then converted to VOB) is a mere 4.5GB, which is the same kind of size as when I rip an SD disc with DVD Shrink.

So somehow, I seem to have converted my HD film to SD

No when you rip a DVD with DVDShrink you aren't changing codecs or compressing; when you rip to an MKV you are introducing compression with a different codec hence the smaller file size

Also depends what settings you put into ripbot264. I.e. DVD-5 size ouput or DVD-9.

Hiya,
Sorry to jump on your post but you reminded me of an old issue I got..
I somehow ripped a blueray and ended up having a mkv file, when i put it on my nas drive, it wouldn’t play on the ps3... couldn’t get it to work so I gave up.... this was 6 months ago..

Seeing your post i thought i'd find out "how's and why's" to why mine isn’t working and what can I do to this mkv file so that it will work?

Thanks.
S

i am looking at ripping blu rays so i can store them on my ps3 harddrive and play using my ps3

Can anyone tell me what video formats the ps3 will play ?

.m2ts is probably the easiest and the most "default" ripping option. You'll have to remux the audio though if it's DTS, or at least discard all but the AC3 sound.

You could rip to mkv then pass it to mkv2vob to patch the DTS sound so it does the old "trick the PS3" thing, up to you really, depends if size is an issue and you'll be trying to keep the files or not...

i am looking at putting my blu rays on to hard disk and convert them in to hd format that ps3 will reconise

I am currently using any hddvd to copy the blu rays on to my hard drive but the trial ends in 17 days and it costs over £50 a year a for a license which is a joke in my opinon

I am looking for software that does the same job as any hddvd and software that will convert the blu rays in to a hd format that the ps3 will play

anyone ???

Last edited:
i am looking at putting my blu rays on to hard disk and convert them in to hd format that ps3 will reconise

I am currently using any hddvd to copy the blu rays on to my hard drive but the trial ends in 17 days and it costs over £50 a year a for a license which is a joke in my opinon

I am looking for software that does the same job as any hddvd and software that will convert the blu rays in to a hd format that the ps3 will play

anyone ???

I thought the AnyDVDHD payment was a one off. I only paid for AnyDVD once.

I thought the AnyDVDHD payment was a one off. I only paid for AnyDVD once.

cost of anyhd dvd in euros

63 1 year
79 2 years
93 3 years
103 4 years
109 lifetime

if it was about £50 - £60 for a lifetime license i would buy it straight away :thumbsup:

They do a 20% off deal from time to time. Paid about £80 for mine

The way I rip for PS3:

1. Rip main movie as MKV and audio (to 640kb/s) with HDBR Stream Extractor (EAC3 GUI add on I think)

2. Convert video to desired size with Xvid4PSP

3. Use TS Muxer to mux video & audio to .TS and chop into 4GB slices

Takes about 50 minutes to rip video & audio, about 6-7hrs to convert video and 4 minutes for TS Muxer. Not sure step 3 is necesary either.

Last edited:
:thumbsup: some good guides listed will try them out over the weekend, im currently using avchd format to retain hd audio but quite time consuming.:thumbsup:

No when you rip a DVD with DVDShrink you aren't changing codecs or compressing; when you rip to an MKV you are introducing compression with a different codec hence the smaller file size

Sorry this isn't true, MKV is just a codec, it has nothing to do with compression. The issue is the OP used incorrect settings in ripbot :)

Sorry this isn't true, MKV is just a codec, it has nothing to do with compression. The issue is the OP used incorrect settings in ripbot :)

Incorrect

MKV isn't a Codec at all. MKV is a container. It can contain Video, audio and subtitle streams of a variety of formats and codecs.

the video codec used when ripping (mpeg2/H264/Divx) dictates the level of compression used not the container type (Vob/MKV/AVI)

Incorrect

MKV isn't a Codec at all. MKV is a container. It can contain Video, audio and subtitle streams of a variety of formats and codecs.

the video codec used when ripping (mpeg2/H264/Divx) dictates the level of compression used not the container type (Vob/MKV/AVI)

Absolutely right, I meant to say container :facepalm: But my comment was correct that MKV doesn't have anything to do with compression, which is what you said in your first post :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom