My first AV receiver - Help!

bernik12

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am currently in the process of upgrading a basic enough JVC DVD surround system and adding a Blue Ray player. I am set on opting for a PS3 initially as it has the added attraction of gaming. I also have Sky HD which is occupying the only HDMI in on my 37" LG tv.

So I have made the decision to invest in a receiver along with the PS3 but need some advise regarding the receiver itself. I have narrowed it down to a Sony STR-DG820, Sony STR-DA2400 or the Yamaha DSP-AX763. I appreciate that there is a price difference between the 3 but this is where your advice comes in.

As a beginner do I opt for the DG820 as it has received great reviews and is very well priced for a first receiver. Should I be too concerned about the lack of Upscaling and Multichannel in?

The Yamaha is priced in the middle and just below my ideal budget of £400 but the only downside I see is the lack of upscaling and more importantly only 2 HMDI ins? ( I may look to add a stand alone blue ray in the future)

Or finally do I push my spend a little bit further and opt
for the DA2400 as it seems to tick all the boxes for the added expense.

I am looking for something that is going to a great piece of kit which will support all my current (beginner) needs but yet have the potential to handle my requirements in the coming years. I would rather spend an extra £70-80 today instead of another €450 in 12 months. I will be keeping my JVC speakers which I have at present but they may be replaced depending on the performance.

Finally, I live in the Republic of Ireland so if anyone can recommend a number of excellent stockists here or in the north I would appreciate it. Due to the Euro exchange rate at present I am willing to buy in NI or online as I still want the best deal/price possible.

Kind Regards
Karl

Befre you go any further, I should point out that both the STRDG820 and the AX763 are now discontinued and you may have great difficulty finding a retailer with either one of them in stock???

There is a replacement for the STRDG820 due next month. The STRDH800 is currently on offer for £280 pre order via play.com.

The direct replacement for the AX763 would be the Yamaha RX-V765 with an expected srp of nearly £600! This too should be in the UK next month.

Upscaling is only of interest if you actually need it?

I'm guessing your budget is somewhere in the region of £450 due to the interest you've shown in the STRRDA2400ES? Here's what is currently on offer for around about that amount:

Denon AVR 2309 £450
Sony STRDA2400ES £430
Pioneer VSX1018 £420
Yamaha RXV565 £415
Yamaha DSP-AX861SE £300
Onkyo TX-SR606 £350

I don't know if any of these tickle you fancy? All are available via the net so don't know if that helps in relation to your location?

I add to Dante01's list the Marantz 4003 at £340. Only 2 HDMI in and 1 out though. If the 4002 (might be available in ROI and cheap?) is anything to go by it gives impressive performance - especially with music.

Thanks for feedback both.

I have spoken to my local Sevenoaks dealer in Dublin and he can offer me the Yamaha 763 or a Denon 1909 for €440 and they're both in stock. I've arranged to call into him on the weekend and i'm leaning toward the Denon purely because on paper it has the upscaling and an extra hdmi in over the Yamaha. I will also price the Denon 2309 out of curiosity but i suspect it will be outside my budget if bought in ROI.

Again, i'm completely new to this and although i'll give both pieces of kit a test i'm still interested in all opinions.

If you were buying would it be the Yamaha or the Denon(1909)?
Thanks in advance.
Karl

Thanks for feedback both.

I have spoken to my local Sevenoaks dealer in Dublin and he can offer me the Yamaha 763 or a Denon 1909 for €440 and they're both in stock. I've arranged to call into him on the weekend and i'm leaning toward the Denon purely because on paper it has the upscaling and an extra hdmi in over the Yamaha. I will also price the Denon 2309 out of curiosity but i suspect it will be outside my budget if bought in ROI.

Again, i'm completely new to this and although i'll give both pieces of kit a test i'm still interested in all opinions.

If you were buying would it be the Yamaha or the Denon(1909)?
Thanks in advance.
Karl

Both are good, but I'm with you and think the Denon the better option. I reckon the Denon was the best in its class and there still isn't anything as yet released to match it. Things may change next month though when the new kids finally start arriving?

AFAIK the Denon 2309 doesn't differ that much from the 1909. A few extra watts and some pre-out connections for external amplification seem to be the major differences. If you don't need that, the 1909 will more than suffice.

Hi all again,

After a lot of research and sound advice from you guys and my local sevenoaks dealer i decided to buy the denon 1909 yesterday.

Unfortunately, my better half has arranged a weekend away so i haven't had a chance to set it up yet but i'm looking forward to getting stuck in tomorrow.

Thanks to all who gave feedback and i'm sure i'll be racking your brains soon with more newbie questions.

Just need to pick up a worthy blue ray tomorrow so that i show off the kit and justify the spend to the boss!

Thanks.
Karl:thumbsup:

Help, help, help.

Just setting up my new denon and i can't connect my subwoofer. The sub must be specific to my old jvc surround/dvd system and doesn't have the right connection for the amp.

Apart from the speaker connections on the sub the only other is a something that looks like an S Video out but with 8 pinholes.

Do i need a new sub? Is there a cable i can buy to hook my sub to the amp? Can i finish the set up without a sub and if so will it sound bad with just the 5 speakers.

All help is appreciated?

Karl

Help, help, help.

Just setting up my new denon and i can't connect my subwoofer. The sub must be specific to my old jvc surround/dvd system and doesn't have the right connection for the amp.

Apart from the speaker connections on the sub the only other is a something that looks like an S Video out but with 8 pinholes.

Do i need a new sub? Is there a cable i can buy to hook my sub to the amp? Can i finish the set up without a sub and if so will it sound bad with just the 5 speakers.

All help is appreciated?

Karl

It would appear as though the sub is passive and not suitable. You can connect and use the other speakers, but bass will be diminished. Best solution would be to buy an Active sub.

Ok, i'll have to get my hands on a make-shift sub for a while because the speakers will probably need a change next.

If i auto configure using the denon mic tonight will i have to do it again when a i get an active sub?

If i auto configure using the denon mic tonight will i have to do it again when a i get an active sub?

Yes. You need to re-calibrate whenever you reconfigure, replace or move your speakers. The sub would need to be levelled in accordance with the other speakers.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom