My first 5.1 system...

Gregy982

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello!

First off, let me start by saying thank you to everyone contributing on this forum. I’ve been lurking around the forum for the past few months, trying to get as much info as possible before setting up my first home entertainment system and all the info I got from you guys has been amazing.

I was already decided on a 600€ all in one 5.1 system (it seemed like the simplest solution for a newb like myself), when I stumbled on avforums.com. After reading a bunch of threads on this forum, I quickly realized simple is bad
eek.gif
. So I’ve decided to build my own system. I’ll start by getting a receiver, 2 front speakers and a center, latter on I’ll add a subwoofer and 2 surround speakers for a full 5.1 system.

I’ve narrowed my decision down to:

Option 1:
AVR:
Denon AVR x1000

Speakers:
Front L/R: FOCAL Chorus 705V
Center: FOCAL Chorus 700CC
Price: 1100€

Option 2:
AVR:
Denon AVR x1100

Speakers:
Front L/R: Wharfdale Diamond 10.2
Center: Wharfdale Diamond 10 CS center
Price: 1000€

I’m leaning more to option 2, for the 2 extra channels I could use out on the terrace (not a must but would be nice) and the other thing I really like is the the Wi-Fi. And it would save me an extra 100€ to spend later on a subwoofer.

Before I buy the system I would like to get your input on the choices I’ve made. Keep in mind that this will be my first system, mostly used for Blue-Ray movies and gaming (PS4). Room size is 4.8 x 3.3 meters, with a fairly low ceiling (2.3m) I would like to demo different setups before I purchase it, but in my country (Slovenia-Europe), every store I went to, tried to sell me all in one setups and when I asked questions about building my own setup they looked at me funny like I was crazy. So my only option is to buy them online, hence I can't demo any :<

Keep in mind that this will be my first setup so I’m not really sure on what kind of sound I would find better as anything will be a vast improvement over the TV sound that I get now. If there are any speakers you feel would be a better choice, feel free to add them, as I haven’t really looked into other brands. As far as my budget goes, well I already went from 600€ for a full setup, to around 1100€ and that's not including a sub and surrounds, meaning the end total will be 1500+ (when I get the sub and surrounds). If I go any higher I'll will also need a good divorce lawyer
biggrin.gif
. The ones available to me are Jamo, B&W, Klipsch, Kef and Q Acoustics.

Thank you!

PS.: on another note, I know the thickness of the cabels is important when choosing them and I was wondering if it can be too thick? I'm asking cuz at the moment I've got bunch of 2.5mm2 speakers wires and was wondering if I can use it for surrounds, as ppl usually recommend less than that.

The 2.5mm cable will be fine for rear speakers and you only tend to be recommended smaller cables for rears due to ease of hiding smaller cable and also lower cost for the longer runs. Thicker cable will only ever be of benefit and will not adversely affect the sound.
I would lean towards option 1 since I am a big fan of focal speakers and they should be a good paring with a Denon receiver. Wharfedale speakers are often recommended for brighter sounding amps so may not be the best pairing with the Denon. Also I feel the Focals are a better speaker than the Wharfedale so overall this will give a better overall sound.
If the 1100 has zone 2 then bear in mind this will most likely work only with analogue inputs into the amp. Hence anything connected via optical, coaxial or HDMI will most likely not be able to played through zone 2.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom