1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My first 24" widescreen TV - advise reqired

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Rediffusion, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Rediffusion

Rediffusion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am about to buy my first widescreen TV (CRT). I've only got around £350 to spend so I realise that I am probably going to have to get a 24" rather than a 28". Most mags only review 28" and above, so I've had trouble finding out about the best 24" buy. The Philips 24PW6006 is rated quite highly but also has some negative points (dark RGB shadows apparently). Which other brands / models should I be considering? I am not an expert on buying TV's so would greatly appreciate any advise that any of you can offer.

Also, where is a good place to buy TV's? I am a big fan of Richer Sounds but they don't seem to sell CRT TV's. I've got some John Lewis gift vouchers, but their range is limited. Any comments?

thanks in advance,
    Rich ;)

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  3. Rediffusion

Rediffusion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately times are tight and 'her indoors' isn't to keen on me blowing too much cash :(

I'm not too keen on these type of shops, but just for reference, does anybody have any coment on these Comet widescreen TVs

Rich ;)

4. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
  5. one_jedi

one_jedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would not go for the Philips 24PW6006, I have one and have had nothing but problems. Loads of people have had problems with this set(not just the 24" but all sizes) and, althougth, some are problem free around when they first came out there were long posts about problems with them. See my thread here http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=91573 about all the problems i have had and how there person who replies got rid of his after 6 months. You can risk it and if you get one without any problems then you have a very good set as picture quality is very good etc. However from what I have read more poeple have had problems thne people who have got problem free sets.

My advice would be to see what sets are about and then see if you can find reviews of them or there larger 28" + counterparts as often they are all very similar and then if you think you have decided on 1 or 2 come onto a message board and do a search or ask questions to see if anyone knows of any problems.

If you do decided to go and gamble for the philips 24pw6006 then be prepared to check it and if your not happy with it take it back as soon as possible and replace it.

Aslo remember brand names don't always mean quality, I know people who have bought budget sets from supermarkert or budget sets from comet/currys with no problems like I have had with mine. They maybe made from cheaper componets and not be as polished but I have generally been impressed how problem free they are and how good the geometry is on some of them.

Happy hunting.

6. Major Dutch

Major Dutch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    There are loads of 28" widescreen TV's about for less than £350, just depends if your a badge snob or not?

Have a look around Comet, Currys, even Tesco's and ASDA, since most TV's use the same tubes and electronics anyway the brand shouldn't make much difference....

7. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    Lets be honest here. If you look at the threads in this forum, every single model of TV has bugs of some sort no matter who makes it. Would a lot of people notice the bugs if they had not been told what to look for? Just be prepared, as mentioned above, to complain if all is not well.