My Findings on my Viera....!

S

Steffche

Hi guys,

Just thought I'd share with you what I discovered last night....which I must say would not have been possible if not for all the gurus n this forum sharing their wisdom amongst us ......

I got into service mode on my 42" Viera in an attempt to adjust overscan which was set pretty bad from factory IMO. Using DVE and the overscan test pattern, I found that vertically picture was being cut off at the 10% marker, and just over 5% horizontally. So into service mode I got, and found the settings for Horz Size position and vertical etc. I adjusted to DVE's 2.5% safe marker and WOW!!! Amazing how much the picture improved. It was being stretched so much before I changed it.

I did however notice a whole other bunch of settings which I did not alter...but rather browsed. But now I'm curious as to what other settings I could play with.... :D I know....unless you know what you're doing...and you have the proper test equipment etc you shouldn't touch. I'm probably more interested in what these other settings do....eg, R and G gain, cut, drive etc...

Does anyone have service menu information...on all the parameters??

Also, I noticed that by putting bass to max and treble to min, pressing down volume on the front of the display while pressing index on the remote got me into service menu 1......how do I get to service menu 2...and what would I find in there???

Any extra info regarding Service menu would be sooooo greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

steffche

I have to say I'm amazed at how the hard line 'Viera boys' don't notice everything on these PlasmaTV's is a slightly odd shape and cameramen (or women) seem to cut off a lot of 'edge detail' :)

Be careful when messing about in service modes - you can disable things like remote control and front panel control; makes for interesting adjustments unless you have RS232.

Best regards

Joe

I've finally got my viera on order :clap: and I'm waiting for delivery, I'd be interested in getting a copy of something like DVE to aid in the setup.

- Is DVE the best thing to use?

- Where's the best (i.e. cheapest) place to get it?

- Any tips?

Thanks

Perry

Steffche said:
Also, I noticed that by putting bass to max and treble to min, pressing down volume on the front of the display while pressing index on the remote got me into service menu 1!

hmmm, isnt the sort of think one would stumble upon!!! :thumbsup:

cwoj said:
hmmm, isnt the sort of think one would stumble upon!!! :thumbsup:

I agree. :D
The service menu info can be found on these forums. I think I even started a thread about the poor overscan on the Viera but I have now managed to sort it :thumbsup:

Dont touch any off the r drive or g drive settings unless you are 100% sure about what you are doing.
If you want to get the absolute best out of the Viera then get in profesionaly calibrated by one of the forum sponsers. I intend to do this after christmas.

It's where a TV zooms in on the image and crops off the sides and top/bottom. Certain amount of overscan is necessary on some channels due to broadcasting errors but with DVD you can usually gt away with virtually none.

By overscanning the Image you are losing resolution.

If you do a search for a recent post by me aout ISF and Pioneer plasma's you should see two pictures. One is before calibration and one after. You should notice overscan removed in the after shot. There is more detail in sides etc.

Gordon

Gordon

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom