My final word on the LCD vs Plasma issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to agree, I have an older sammy le40r87 and Dynamic mode is awfull. Sorry!

Perhaps it is on that set. Looks fine to me on the A656. Why do you imagine that your experiences contradict mine?

Cheers,

jah

Perhaps it is on that set. Looks fine to me on the A656. Why do you imagine that your experiences contradict mine?

Cheers,

jah

Jah please think, think some more then post, rather than post post post post post.

Dynamic mode is awful, no opinion, it is fact. And going on about director intended picture, If I watch richard and judy then I would rather watch them talking looking like humans than bright red and orange aliens with clothes looking like they had come from the dynamic rave culture from the 90s :rotfl:

What flickering? You think that because you've spent a lot of time and effort "calibrating" your set you're Martin Scorcese or something? Gimme a break.

Cheers,

jah

What you talking about man, my tv is on auto, no calibration. when i set it to rubish dynamic and say it goes from a bright to dark scene repeatly then you get the back lights flicking going dark then ligh. If you like that ma, good for your. People who aren't blind like a tv which is more life like, and does not flicker. You remind me of a salesman at currys, no sense at all. And all they do is set it to dynamic contrast, make everyone think wow its so bright compared to the plasma. then you get it home and you're shocked how rubbish it looks, and how there is uneven backlights, light bleed and clouding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jah please think, think some more then post, rather than post post post post post.

Dynamic mode is awful, no opinion, it is fact. And going on about director intended picture, If I watch richard and judy then I would rather watch them talking looking like humans than bright red and orange aliens with clothes looking like they had come from the dynamic rave culture from the 90s :rotfl:

There you go again. Pontificating on something you know nothing about, on a set you've never seen. You're the one who needs to begin to try to think but if you could I imagine we'd never have started this in the first place.

If I'm happy with what I see no one, but no one, is going to tell that it's crap and I'd recommend anyone else to ignore the psuedo-technical experts who can do nothing but regurgitate what they've read on a bulletin board despite the proof of their own eyes. Particularly someone who hasn't even seen what I have and who's prepared to pay thousands of pounds for an interim TV set when this is around the corner: http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/06/25/matsushita_makes_oled_play/

Cheers,

jah

What you talking about man, my tv is on auto, no calibration. when i set it to rubish dynamic and say it goes from a bright to dark scene repeatly then you get the back lights flicking going dark then ligh. If you like that ma, good for your. People who aren't blind like a tv which is more life like, and does not flicker. You remind me of a salesman at currys, no sense at all. And all they do is set it to dynamic contrast, make everyone think wow its so bright compared to the plasma. then you get it home and you're shocked how rubbish it looks, and how there is uneven backlights, light bleed and clouding.

Ah, I've just deciphered your signature. What kind of TV is that? A Panasonic LCD? Then you can hardly compare it to mine, can you? I don't get any flickering on my A656, just a nice CRT-like picture. In fact, black looks blacker than my old CRT to be quite frank. Perhaps it's you who needs to get the eye test?

Cheers,

jah

Il try and say it again, slower for you.

Dynamic mode looks awful on all LCD and Plasma tvs, and does nothing apart from produce a stupidly bright, over saturated picture which looks horrific...... Il say again, this happens on EVERY FLAT PANEL...... EVERY ONE.

What makes you think that your wonderful samsung is suddenly different when it really isn't. It seems that you consider yourself to think that it looks amazing when there are plenty of other people who agree with me that it is a horrific setting that stores like currys leave it on.

I think I will just leave you to rabbit on about how your tv is like a CRT, you sure that your tv isn't actually a CRT as what you seem to be describing about your set seems to point to that. Check behind it, and if it more than about 30cm deep then it will be a CRT :thumbsup:

Il try and say it again, slower for you.

Dynamic mode looks awful on all LCD and Plasma tvs, and does nothing apart from produce a stupidly bright, over saturated picture which looks horrific...... Il say again, this happens on EVERY FLAT PANEL...... EVERY ONE.

What makes you think that your wonderful samsung is suddenly different when it really isn't. It seems that you consider yourself to think that it looks amazing when there are plenty of other people who agree with me that it is a horrific setting that stores like currys leave it on.

I think I will just leave you to rabbit on about how your tv is like a CRT, you sure that your tv isn't actually a CRT as what you seem to be describing about your set seems to point to that. Check behind it, and if it more than about 30cm deep then it will be a CRT :thumbsup:

You are truly unbelievable. The master of sweeping generalisations and you still insist you're worth listening to? I'll leave it to the rest of the board to make up their own minds.

Cheers,

jah

You are truly unbelievable. The master of sweeping generalisations and you still insist you're worth listening to? I'll leave it to the rest of the board to make up their own minds.

Cheers,

jah

I'm sure the board can make up their own minds, and they seem to have done in the settings thread for your tv. I am not normally harsh but just go and take a look with people posting that dynamic looks horrible and their settings on movie or standard. One guy posted about dynamic, but he seemd a bit like an excited kiddy.

But at the end of the day, if you don't want help with setting up your tv too look more like D65 settings, then fair enough, you are missing out.

:)

Ah, I've just deciphered your signature. What kind of TV is that? A Panasonic LCD? Then you can hardly compare it to mine, can you? I don't get any flickering on my A656, just a nice CRT-like picture. In fact, black looks blacker than my old CRT to be quite frank. Perhaps it's you who needs to get the eye test?

Cheers,

jah

so explain to me what dynamic contrast is? how does it work? its the same for all tvs mate. it lowers the back lights, dependinf on how dark/bright the video is. Therefore if the brightness of the scene is changing from full bright to pitch black then what will happen? The back lights will have to go on and then go down to their lowest brightness at a low frequency causing flicker, unless you got some kinda magic tv, then i think you are either blind or mad. take your pick.

Oh and well done you can read now, considering you just "deciphered" my signature!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure the board can make up their own minds, and they seem to have done in the settings thread for your tv. I am not normally harsh but just go and take a look with people posting that dynamic looks horrible and their settings on movie or standard. One guy posted about dynamic, but he seemd a bit like an excited kiddy.

I suppose they are people trying to set up their TVs to watch movies which is fair enough. I don't think the settings for movies are necessarily what you want for watching bog standard SD TV though. I think they're wrong to dismiss dynamic mode for that and the main reason for it is that there are too many self-appointed experts on here who rave on about things they barely understand. Fair enough if people want to listen to them but I prefer to make up my own mind rather than have it made up for me.

But at the end of the day, if you don't want help with setting up your tv too look more like D65 settings, then fair enough, you are missing out.

:)

I don't need to set my TV up for D65 as I have a projector that is pretty much there on the out-of-the-box settings as I've endeavoured to explain to you but you don't appear to have listened.

Enjoy your little plasma mate. I'm very happy with my carefully made choices which is all that matters in the end.

Cheers,

J

so explain to me what dynamic contrast is? how does it work? its the same for all tvs mate. it lowers the back lights, dependinf on how dark/bright the video is. Therefore if the brightness of the scene is changing from full bright to pitch black then what will happen? The back lights will have to go on and then go down to their lowest brightness at a low frequency causing flicker, unless you got some kinda magic tv, then i think you are either blind or mad. take your pick.

For the last time the dynamic mode on the A656 does not cause "flicker". You can't have seen it in action if you think this therefore your opinion is worthless.

Oh and well done you can read now, considering you just "deciphered" my signature!

I did have a quick scan of it looking for a TV manufacturers name, you know, like Pioneer, Loewe, B&O something high end like that but didn't spot one. I then recognised the model number of a cheap ass 32" Panasonic LCD which shocked me as I had assumed I was debating with an afficienado of high end AV equipment. My bad for sure.

Cheers,

jah

I don't need to set my TV up for D65 as I have a projector that is pretty much there on the out-of-the-box settings as I've endeavoured to explain to you but you don't appear to have listened.

Enjoy your little plasma mate. I'm very happy with my carefully made choices which is all that matters in the end.

Cheers,

J

Maybe have a chat with an ISF calibrator, they might be able to help you out.

50 Inches isn't little, 36/32 is.

jah you're not doing arguement any good, if you like the vivid picture of dynamic mode (75 sharpness, 100 contrast, DNI-E, dynamic contrast on, black adjust on) then that's ok but don't tell people it results in great picture quality, it doesn't and this is from a ex Samsung LCD owner.

For the last time the dynamic mode on the A656 does not cause "flicker". You can't have seen it in action if you think this therefore your opinion is worthless.

I did have a quick scan of it looking for a TV manufacturers name, you know, like Pioneer, Loewe, B&O something high end like that but didn't spot one. I then recognised the model number of a cheap ass 32" Panasonic LCD which shocked me as I had assumed I was debating with an afficienado of high end AV equipment. My bad for sure.

Cheers,

jah

haha cheap ass, you crack me up man. This tv was the best 32" last year, I'm rich enough to buy a new every day when a new model comes out. Panasonic is a much better company than you cheap as shiny frame tv samsung, compae a th42pz80b, the panny will kick your cheap as samsung.

Oh and dynamic contrast will cause flicker no matter what you say. Hope you enjoy your dynamic contrast tv. With the orange and red skins tones.

jah you're not doing arguement any good, if you like the vivid picture of dynamic mode (75 sharpness, 100 contrast, DNI-E, dynamic contrast on, black adjust on) then that's ok but don't tell people it results in great picture quality, it doesn't and this is from a ex Samsung LCD owner.

Those aren't my settings. Have a play with it, open your eyes and your mind and you might be pleasantly surprised. Don't let other people tell you what you like.

Cheers,

jah

haha cheap ass, you crack me up man. This tv was the best 32" last year, I'm rich enough to buy a new every day when a new model comes out. Panasonic is a much better company than you cheap as shiny frame tv samsung, compae a th42pz80b, the panny will kick your cheap as samsung.

Oh and dynamic contrast will cause flicker no matter what you say. Hope you enjoy your dynamic contrast tv. With the orange and red skins tones.

He, he, I knew what your reply would be before you posted it.

Cheers,

jah

----------------------
Panasonic PT-AE2000, Samsung LE40-A656, PS3, XBOX 360 with HD DVD, Linn Kairn, Linn Ikemi, Linn Kremlin, Linn Keilidh, Linn Klout, Dual Dell 27" LCD monitors, Dell T7400 workstation with dual Intel Xeon X5482 quad cores, 3x300GB 15K RPM SAS drives, Dell XPS M1330 with 4GB RAM and 64GB SSD, ok, I'm bored now but I've still got a lot more stuff ...

Those aren't my settings. Have a play with it, open your eyes and your mind and you might be pleasantly surprised. Don't let other people tell you what you like.

Cheers,

jah

Any dynamic contrast setting makes everyones faces look like they have a direct light source shining onto it. Looked better with everything off. Dynamic contrast on low seems to reduce black crush, but then the brightest areas are just over lit

Any dynamic contrast setting makes everyones faces look like they have a direct light source shining onto it. Looked better with everything off. Dynamic contrast on low seems to reduce black crush, but then the brightest areas are just over lit

Looks fine on mine I have to say.

Cheers,

jah

----------------------
Panasonic PT-AE2000, Samsung LE40-A656, PS3, XBOX 360 with HD DVD, Linn Kairn, Linn Ikemi, Linn Kremlin, Linn Keilidh, Linn Klout, Dual Dell 27" LCD monitors, Dell T7400 workstation with dual Intel Xeon X5482 quad cores, 3x300GB 15K RPM SAS drives, Dell XPS M1330 with 4GB RAM and 64GB SSD, ok, I'm bored now but I've still got a lot more stuff ... Russel and Hobbs matching kettle and toaster

Last edited:

Don't have either on my LCD.

Cheers,

jah

----------------------
Panasonic PT-AE2000, Samsung LE40-A656, PS3, XBOX 360 with HD DVD, Linn Kairn, Linn Ikemi, Linn Kremlin, Linn Keilidh, Linn Klout, Dual Dell 27" LCD monitors, Dell T7400 workstation with dual Intel Xeon X5482 quad cores, 3x300GB 15K RPM SAS drives, Dell XPS M1330 with 4GB RAM and 64GB SSD, ok, I'm bored now but I've still got a lot more stuff ... Braun Oral B Triumph with SmartGuide

Last edited:
No, but you do get purple snakes, dirty screen effect, buzzing, and a great fat electricity bill !!!.

Plasma's are far from perfect dude.

I can't be doing with the fuzzy picture/dirty screen effect. I want a clean, sharp image and that's what you get with LCD.

Cheers,

jah

Don't have either on my LCD.

Cheers,

jah

----------------------
Panasonic PT-AE2000, Samsung LE40-A656, PS3, XBOX 360 with HD DVD, Linn Kairn, Linn Ikemi, Linn Kremlin, Linn Keilidh, Linn Klout, Dual Dell 27" LCD monitors, Dell T7400 workstation with dual Intel Xeon X5482 quad cores, 3x300GB 15K RPM SAS drives, Dell XPS M1330 with 4GB RAM and 64GB SSD, ok, I'm bored now but I've still got a lot more stuff ... Braun Oral B Triumph with SmartGuide

Well you will, even if it doesn't show up now. It will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom