My Final Setup - Your thoughts?

C

clubber

OK guys after looking at these forums none stop for the last 2 months I've decided on my final setup for my Xbox 360 and Sky +

TV : Samsng LE32R41BDX

CD/DVD Player : Technics SCDV290 DVD Mini System

Console : Xbox 360

Stand : Black Glass Stand

Sky+ box

So what do you guys think?

Anyone spot any problems with this setup? I'm planning on getting it all for xmas so any advice would be appreciated.

One more thing... How will i set it all up so the sound from the 360 comes through the hifi speakers, and the DVD is shown on the LCD TV and so on...

Thanks alot.

P.S I also want to play my PC games on my LCD, how is this done? :thumbsup:

The TV has had a few issues highlighted on this forum - mainly the tearing issue which has been rectified by a firmware update. It has had generally good reviews (considering its price).

I am getting one mostly for the xbox 360.

If you are buying the xbox 360 premium package (£279.99) it is supplied with an HD component cable with seperate audio jacks which you can plug into your stereo amp. If you have a surround sound system then you will have to buy a separate opitcal cable. See link:

http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=384469

What is a stereo amp? Does one come with the hifi i showed?

Hi clubber,

I would imagine on the back of the technics cd/dvd player there would be an 'auxillary' input. Basically a red and white audio jack input which you can connect the xbox 360 to. This will only give stereo sound.

It might well have an digital input as well in which case you could connect the 360 via an optical cable - which would give you surround sound.

Is there a particular reason you are going for the technics. I don't know anything about it but it would concern me that it is a jack of all trades and a master of none. What will you be using it for mostly?

Have you considered this:

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo-2.cfm/Product_ID/2293

It has had very good reviews.

Gumbe, thanks for the help.

The reason i'm going for the technics isent for surround sound, although it does come with it. I'm just looking for a good HiFi and this one just happens to come with DVD aswell.

Do you know of any others cuz £499 is quite alot, was hoping to only have to spend around 300 really.

Also, if i want to play High Def DVDs do i need a HD DVD player (if theres such a thing) or do i just need a normaly dvd player with a HD TV?

clubber said:
Gumbe, thanks for the help.

The reason i'm going for the technics isent for surround sound, although it does come with it. I'm just looking for a good HiFi and this one just happens to come with DVD aswell.

Do you know of any others cuz £499 is quite alot, was hoping to only have to spend around 300 really.

Also, if i want to play High Def DVDs do i need a HD DVD player (if theres such a thing) or do i just need a normaly dvd player with a HD TV?

HD DVD's are not commercially available yet - there are two competing standards: Blu-Ray and HD-DVD - both will require a new DVD player and will not be compatible with a "normal" DVD player. High definition dvd players are expected late next year, the PS3 will be a Blu-Ray player by all accounts.

As for your technicas deck, it seems a bit limited, I would personally only by a DVD/CD player and surround sound combo if it had a spare digital input - that way you will be able to connect the Xbox360 and get true surround sound. If you simply plug your Xbox360 into the Technics using a stereo/phone lead you will NOT get true surround sound. I would look elsewhere as part of the attraction of the Xbox360 will be the immersive nature of the sound... you will be missing out.

About the HD DVD players, how come i see a lot of people talking about, hey sky HD aint out yet but i've watched alot of DVDs and it looks amazng!

And the Technics, if its too limeted i will leave it but can u suggest a decent player?
CD and DVD

clubber said:
About the HD DVD players, how come i see a lot of people talking about, hey sky HD aint out yet but i've watched alot of DVDs and it looks amazng!

And the Technics, if its too limeted i will leave it but can u suggest a decent player?
CD and DVD

They will probably be watching HD video via a PC, not from a DVD player. Basically if you connect up your PC to the screen and play a HD movie clip (assuming you have a video card capable of outputting via DVI, and system capable of giving a correctly scaled output) you can watch things in high definition. - also some Xbox games can be run on modified Xbox's to give a HD image.
As for the technics replacement, not sure... I have a seperate amp/receiver and DVD player so not to au-fait with "home cinema in a box" solutions... someone else should be able to point you in the direction of a bit of kit that does this... remember that you will need the all important additional didgital input in the system to ensure you get true surround...

I've found a nice surround sound kit from argos, 80 quid.

I'm just looking for a nice hifi to go with it now. Not too fussed about a DVD player cuz i can play DVDs on my 360. The main things i want with my HIFI are CD/CDR/CDRW/MP3 and some nice big speakers to go either side of my TV :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom