1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My fan is busted!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by thelaw, Jul 31, 2003.

1. thelaw

thelaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello there,

I currently own an ASK/Proxima C1 compact, built in '99. Its not a particularly high-spec projector, but I really didnt buy it for much! Composite on this machine really is not very nice..you can pick many faults in its video input processing, but for VGA it still packs a very nice picture... I'm running 1024x768 to it from a FreeBSD machine running Xine as a DVD player, the result is beautiful. I purchased it as broken (it had problems syncing the picture) after replacing the VGA socket with a rework station all is fine!

Well, all except for the fan! I had started to notice quite excessive heat and also a clicking noise. For the noise, I originally assumed it was the ballast, but as this does not have a magnetic ballast (i've witnessed the humming that they make with metal halides!) I ruled that out.

I think the bearings may have gone as it really does not spin well and feels quite stiff, I have taken the back covers off and to my delight its an ordinary 60mm PC-type fan with a connection that could easily be attached to any other fan. I have attached a picture of the fan config. It is a papst, and I do actually recall having the same problem with a larger 80mm papst as a case fan one time.

Well, I do have a cooler master from an old duron machine sitting around, but I am very worried about damaging the projectors power supply by drawing too much from it. I would be very appreciative of any information you could give me to aid me in this replacement. Below is what the sticker on the broken papst fan reads:

Papst Typ 612F
    12v DV 95mA
    1.1W

and the cooler master:

DC Brushless Fan Motor
    Model BS601512H
    DC 12V 0.18A

Many thanks,
    Jon

Attached Files:

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. thelaw

thelaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    aha! thanks for the link my friend, I looked their earlier but could only find the 612FL which had a diff rating.

seems quite an excessive price just for a fan! :)

Many thanks,
    Jon

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Papst fans ain't cheap but they're the best....the best I tell ya :)

5. thelaw

thelaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well its ordered now, £20 inc shipping from Germany so not too bad, but it better not destroy itself again! This projector only has 700 chassis hours, the fan is rated good for 50,000!

Rgds,
    Jon

6. av_enthusiast

av_enthusiast

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you clean your projector every 3 months?. I find its worthwhile taking the odd hour out when your bored every 3-4 months and to give the projector a nice clean!

:clap: