My fake "wallpaper" OLED install

Mr X

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok here goes a new build...

Having moved into the current house 7 years ago and building the current cinema room 6 years ago (where did the years go!) there has been one room in the whole house that we've ever touched since moving in a has been in desperate need for some TLC and that's our lounge.

REMIT - not our main viewing room but wanted a decent TV and half decent sound although due to beams and layout these were always going to be compromised.

Style of the house (apart from this room) is now contemporary so it needs a good update.

KIT

There is only one position for the TV and to date its taken up a lot of floor space and the challenge of wall mounting was always going to be viewing angle and convincing the Mrs that we should keep a 65 even though in it's current set up, it dominates the room (although I tell her it doesn't... but it really does)

So out with my beloved Sony 65ZD9:(
dSaHx+tXRQa8FUDMTlKjlQ.jpg
P34Q%ZiuRo2jRKtXLZeIbQ.jpg

But in with a very nice (slimmer, lighter) Sony 65AG9:)

iLCDo4z1QGyRJdMI5j7xMQ.jpg

Simply buying a pull out TV mount would mean people just leaving it floating there and never pushing it back so I knew I wanted motorised and I luckily stumbled across this clever thing...

Not only that but managed to pick it up at a fraction of the price because it was box damaged so 50% off brand new in a tatty box. I also really kick Vogel mounts.

fullsizeoutput_1d.jpeg

The Objective

Having seen how thin the bezel is on the AG9 the original plan of simply building a fake wall to house a new "box" for the TV quickly turned into an obsession to build and mimic something like the LG wallpaper TV BUT with the ability to come out the wall, whilst still maintaining the beam surrounds of that wall ie not eating into them.

And that's where the mission begins...

The holes and damage to the the wall were kindly left by the previous owners when they yanked out their TV and have been there ever since.

First the new AG9 on the Spectral stand
fullsizeoutput_456b.jpeg

The other challenge will be where to hide the Sky Q and Apple TV as I don't want any AV stand or cabinet at the bottom and do I stick with Sonos?
pM97iU9eTIGXlKST0OMcLQ.jpg

Stand and ZD9 successfully sold on the classifieds and here's the first fix of the AG9 on the wall.
It's not central yet or the right height but had to go there for now into the the current joists.
Sa5MlBCXRziDF1oPs%higQ.jpg

So now the fun begins...

KuPS%wniT8GCQCAGtD8zBQ.jpg
Rw1BIgIjTcaxMgWHHevO3w.jpg

With the box built and positioned correctly, my OCD is at ease now that the TV is finally nice and central :)

w3CZblcQR7aWQ4xFDYtMnw.jpg
vKTFPAeCQeeZYHSDD01yWg.jpg

And this is what the bracket looks like....
cm%unEGzSrCnwpEuVwYMHQ.jpg

One major concern was making sure that building a fake wall wasn't going to eat into the appearance of the beam at the top, hence wanting to sink the TV.

The video gives an idea of room layout but at the end you'll see that impact to the beam was minimal and ultimately from sitting anywhere in the room it still looks like a beam consistent with the one running across the fireplace.

Cracking work so far not a fan of the TV in the corner though but overall good job sometimes you've just gotta have a change about haha

Cracking work so far not a fan of the TV in the corner though but overall good job sometimes you've just gotta have a change about haha

Yeah really not a fan of the corner placement either but it really is the only place due to massive fireplace on one wall, 3 windows with lovely views on the others and 2 vertical beams slap bang in the room preventing seating options. All looks very nice but logistically for TV viewing it's always going to be a nightmare and a compromise.

That the main reason I went for the mount. I should be able to get some pics of it out and at the right viewing angle as although it can be watched flat in the wall, we'll never actually use it in that manner. Thanks :thumbsup:

Next was where to put all the equipment and wiring.

Originally thought of making some space inside the fake wall with some sort of serviceable hatch but didn't really want all that faffing around if I need to access things.

Then realised that if I emptied out some files that I could relocate elsewhere, directly behind the TV wall is my home office which I could house all the bits and pieces and run the wiring directly to.

Here's the cupboard pn. the right hand side of the drawer and the printer if pretty much where the TV sits on the other side of the wall.

kEvsIlz7RhihAHEgkShsGQ.jpg

The other good news is that I tested the range of the Sky Q and Apple TV remote and they both worked from the furthest seating position in the lounge, so all good to go and make some more holes!

Oh and also tested the Sky Q in the cupboard over night and no connection issues to 4 minis so good to go.

Subscribed! Looking good so far.

I was planning to do the same thing with my OLED (fake wallpaper TV, not the motorised mount). In the end I didn't bother, as I found a very slim wall-mount. However I'm moving house next week, so might give the fake wallpaper thing a try there.

Wiring

+6+ES2epRv+N18kANzoS1A.jpg

Knowing the position of the cupboard now, purchased some standard drainpipe to use as a service conduit making it super easy to pull through new cables as and when needed really easily. This will house all hdmi's and power cables from an extension socket placed in the cupboard.

The other hole is the twin Sky feed which luckily I had them leave loads of length 7 years ago when I had Sky installed.

jm+igBjbS8aiWpnJ9cdzIA.jpg

Some extra joists for the soundbar and to add some extra strength for the frame.

fAbWort2SK+I7m5ZOxvTCw.jpg

Add some plasterboard and a little hole for cables to the soundbar...

fullsizeoutput_442a.jpeg
22zV1sbPTICbHeHnOuXAMg.jpg

Granted it looks a little weird right now because of the positioning but once that mount pops out it will be fine!

Also really pleased with not eating into the top oak beam too much as would have really destroyed the character of the room. From normal positioning the beam still looks like it runs equally right across the room and fireplace.

Subscribed! Looking good so far.

I was planning to do the same thing with my OLED (fake wallpaper TV, not the motorised mount). In the end I didn't bother, as I found a very slim wall-mount. However I'm moving house next week, so might give the fake wallpaper thing a try there.

I really like how it's turned out and you won't have long to wait to see the end result as it's almost finished. I'm actually just catching up on documenting it on here when I have time but the TV is up and finished decorating the room.

Good luck with the move. Have to admit I've now got a bit addicted to trying to get screens flat into the wall. So much so that during this build, as all the tools were out and I had a friend to help, we decided to do this... (posted this in another thread).....

So we have electric gates and the handset mic packed and we had no intercom. Got a totally ridiculous quote £££ from a local company that would replace it and add a small colour screen and I would then have to decorate from all the wiring mess. So sitting there last Sunday I had a brainwave and... Hey Presto or should that be Hey Google!

Anyway, I had already added a Nest Hello (which we love) some time ago and about 4 google hubs around the house which not only work with a whole load of smart things around the house (Nest, Hue, Music, Vids etc..) but do a hell of a lot more than just the video only screen they were going install.

Needless to say I am very pleased with myself, even the Mrs loves the solution. Total cost £80 when Argos had a deal on.

(the fuse box and old phone line was never in use and just took up wall space just don't know why I didn't think of it before!)

NlwBFrneQwatyLeYaACa4Q.jpg

qwb%EB2XTnS6pBvJvCe6Hg.jpg

A1gT6oLxThCo0%TJwJ0uyg.jpg
WYbyav2JT2uIe1ctqdEH2A.jpg
kGqW6j%3RQ2BnOJyf1QUMA.jpg

Anyway back to the lounge install, wires all nicely through to the cupboard next door and although it needs a good tidy up, plenty of room for Sky Q, Apple TV and an 8 port ethernet switch on the top shelf, leaving the bottom shelf completely free at the mo.

3srxnGzrQfuDP2%PebbPSA.jpg

Also purchased a UPS that is now installed under the main desk in they office, mainly to keep my Mac, VOIP, Internet and Wifi going during a power cut. This was useful last Friday!

As a bonus the extension socket used for the all the installed AV equipment is also covered, though I would probably power these down in a power cut.

8mhKdxPbQK+RWxDMm20jtA.jpg

Last edited:
Good luck with the move. Have to admit I've now got a bit addicted to trying to get screens flat into the wall. So much so that during this build, as all the tools were out and I had a friend to help, we decided to do this...

Thanks - I'm quite looking forward to having a new project...

That looks excellent. I'll have to look into Google Home Hubs. Having seen how good it looks, there's a 99% chance of me getting one!

Thanks - I'm quite looking forward to having a new project...

That looks excellent. I'll have to look into Google Home Hubs. Having seen how good it looks, there's a 99% chance of me getting one!

Look out for deals and they have renamed them to Nest Hubs with a new 10inch version launching in September, so I might need a bigger hole soon!

OK time for the first fix to check that the spirit level didn't let me down and the boards are nice and flat against the TV.

More importantly need to check that the measuring tape didn't let me down and that the back box of the TV fits in the boxed enclosure otherwise we have huge issues!

So instead of seeing a huge 65 inch TV blocking the corner and that end window, this is now the view you see as you walk in and look right...no more TV :clap:

UPHAaKnvR4iBOwzpqCMgeA.jpg

And although this won't be the viewing position, here's a first look at the "wallpaper" effect...

tEfOezFuRFi3Dq7MNik66g.jpg

When you're in the room and the TV is off, it actually looks like I've created huge serving hatch as it really fools the eyes and makes it look like a huge black box in the wall especially with all the white reflection of the walls at the mo :facepalm:

rEJzQkziRQCNcRUlrh5y1Q.jpg

Side view. Pretty flat and although it's no LG Wallpaper, Im pretty happy with how everything fits nice and snug.
Agty6RK1QQ+n+jjJurI+TQ.jpg

Top View. Very Happy and relieved! Pretty damn flat all round.
3QCQ08eTR2WuOCrrp0gEYA.jpg

Overall I'm really happy. I had toyed with the idea of creating a box shelf for the Sonos too so that it would also be flat in the wall but decided against it. Mainly because the sound is compromised as it is with the room layout and I'm not trying to disguise the fact that there is a TV there!

Also although I'm a big fan of Sonos all over the house, I did check out the new B&W Formation Bar as I thought it's design would look amazing under the TV. But design isn't everything so I went for a demo at my local store of the B&W Formation & Sub the check at the all important sound. After 30 minutes of the store not being able to get a reliable wireless connection, I decided to stay with Sonos!

Also thought that the Sonos also has its room correction EQ that is pretty impressive, so decided not to bury it and hamper it any further.

Great work so far! TV looks excellent in it's recessed position. Looking forward to seeing final results.

Can I ask on the google (nest) hub in the hall- do you just leave it on the camera the whole time? And does it control the open/ close on your gates as well?

Great work so far! TV looks excellent in it's recessed position. Looking forward to seeing final results.

Can I ask on the google (nest) hub in the hall- do you just leave it on the camera the whole time? And does it control the open/ close on your gates as well?

You can leave it on a specific camera or the doorbell if you want and it doesn't time out. We tend to leave it running on family photo's slideshow as people are always walking past it and it's a nice way of seeing pics we never look at. The one in the kitchen we leave on clock and playing radio most of the time.

We have a total of 7 Nest Cams including the Nest Hello doorbell. Sometimes if I'm away the Mrs will leave it on a camera that covers the whole driveway or the doorbell but because it instantly goes to the doorbell camera when someone presses the Nest hello, you don't really need to. The volume goes pretty loud too (I think the box cut out has helped the bass too!) so there are no problems with hearing the announcements around the house (even though they come through as notifications on our iphones too, I'm lucky that we have great wifi with no interference)

The Nest integration was the main reason I swapped from Alexa to Google as I love it's integration with Nest. I've got 4 of the hubs around the house. Will probably sell one and purchase the 10inch model for the kitchen.

As for the gates no it doesn't control opening/closing of those, we use the old handset button in the pic for that. I do believe you can buy a module to make it compatible but it's not something I've looked into.

TV looks great. I'm guessing that there would be an issue with overheating if you watched TV with it in that position all the time...

John

TV looks great. I'm guessing that there would be an issue with overheating if you watched TV with it in that position all the time...

John

Yes it leaves no room for ventilation which is another reason I bought this mount.

It uses one adapter to power the mount and the TV. So as soon as you fire up Sky it switches on the TV and moves the mount to the last viewed position. When you switch the TV off, it all goes nicely back to the wall and powers down.

The mount can also be adjusted manually but also comes with a smart phone app allowing you to adjust whilst your viewing or store loads of positions you may want. It will always switch on to the last used angle and always return to the wall. Although you can override these settings if you want.

Here's the app on my iPhone...
Oh and I should get some pics and a video of the mount in action up very soon

fullsizeoutput_458a.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_4589.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_458b.jpeg

The room's getting decorated (ignore the old carpet, sofas and lack of curtains they are getting changed) but this should give an idea of room layout and explain why there is no other space the TV anywhere else.

vA+8O3lQQkWuYG9WYQW1PQ.jpg
rrjnCkeRTjOIfFv7vkm+Yg.jpg
Nwdn5f%jQ0+ZoA4IXEuB8w.jpg
QRgqSEgTQIm1lrgZ8SHnfg.jpg
zFDyT7p%R4CJRA+C93VP6w.jpg
vTknDxAuRuWPh1wizAXt4g.jpg
Rvu1HfrhSxCjHyV4ZBYqwA.jpg

Quality that fancy coming round to mine installing some stuff in a chimney breast? Lol

I’m better at plasterboard and woodwork than brick! Plus I have got the help of a very handy friend.

CABLE MANAGEMENT
Purchased this for about £3 on Amazon and its worked a treat and has quite a large brush vent for more wires if needed and sits flush.

kYL%BPErS12iD1f0+nZvNw.jpg
nk4qh4WIT3un8hEyWyXokg.jpg
LIkzm8SvQFGYlnNNYA5zOw.jpg
TLsq0oV7R8iFDMPZCjCQ9Q.jpg
rw9pubWGTMOwKdF00wqEAQ.jpg

Here's the final fix (apart from that horrid carpet!) and what it looks like in place.

tFcVOkYwT4a+a2IolWnRUg.jpg

Tomorrow I'll take some video's of the mount in action when you turn the TV on/off

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom