My Fair Lady Blu-ray Review

Tech News

News Supplying Robot
Reviewed by Alan Paterson, 5th December 2011.
‘My Fair Lady’ comes to American Region free Blu-ray with a good but flawed 1080p AVC/MPEG-4 transfer, framed in the widescreen 2.39:1 aspect ratio. A fog effect around the edge of frame, most noticeable on darker shots, spoils an otherwise decent transfer. Good colour and contrast as well as a thin veil of film grain coming from a restored print can’t make up for the London fog problem.

Thankfully, the DTS-HD MA 7.1 surround track shines in many places as the musical numbers come to life and dialogue is clear throughout. Surround is particularly impressive on the Ascot race sequence with horses running round the listening area.

A whole wheelbarrow of featurettes, galleries and an interesting commentary make up the extras.

As a film, the classic ‘Pygmalion’ story has some magic – brought to life as 'My Fair Lady' by Cecil Beaton’s costume and set designs as well as by Rex Harrison and Audrey Hepburn in the lead roles. CBS should have gone the extra mile to make this a Blu-ray release to be proud of – but sadly, they didn’t.

Read the full review...

INXS

pleasing that more movies (seemingly) have a 7.1 sound mix.

Makes the extra investment start to seem worthwhile!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom