My Fair Lady 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

rulocal

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the review.

It is so good to see the classics not only hitting the format but withsuch stunning results.

MFL is a wonderful film and hopefully this release will help bring it to a new audience.

FevreDream

One of the biggest bonuses for me from 4K UHD is giving old classics a new lease of life. Often looking better than they’ve ever looked.

GrazzaB

Thanks for a great review - sounds stunning! I always find it bizarre when people say ‘old films’ wouldn’t benefit from 4K, it’s nonsense. Modern films are finished at 2k more often than not so benefit less than the well-preserved older ones!

encaser

Bit of a classic film for all genders: either wanting to be with her or, be her.

Dorian

Don't think this will be one for my collection, but a great review, and it does look absolutely gorgeous in the trailer. As said above, seeing older films with stunning 4k transfers is something else. Looking into the past in UHD can be disorienting at times (in a good way!), it's the closest thing to time travel.

Evinger

Distinguished Member
Thank you Cas. Will be lovely to this this Movie in 4K glory!

FevreDream

Bit of a 4K Blu Ray review frenzy on here this week. This one, Super 8, Zack Snyder’s Justice League, The Sting. It’s all good though. :)

domtheone

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the review.

It is so good to see the classics not only hitting the format but withsuch stunning results.

MFL is a wonderful film and hopefully this release will help bring it to a new audience.

I'm one of the newbies. Don't really like musicals so i'm only really getting it for Audrey.:love::blush: If there was a 4K release of her reading the phone book i'd probably order it. :rotfl:

More importantly, we need to buy it to increase sales numbers, so the studios will release more classics in 4K.

Dorian

If there was a 4K release of her reading the phone book i'd probably order it. :rotfl:
Yes, Breakfast at Tiffany's 4k UHD is what we need! It got a 4k restore in 2017 so presume it would be much quicker to take it from that than a full restore from scratch. The regular BluRay looks good from looking at a few grabs.

Jmouse007

Standard Member
After years of hoping that My Fair Lady would be released in 4K I finally got to view my copy. What a glorious revelation! The COLORS, the DETAIL, this release is a "must own" for anyone who loves this beloved classic, and for everyone who appreciates the Cinema and film making at its finest.

The restored 4K UHD Blu-ray release of My Fair Lady is nothing short of a masterpiece. It ranks with the restored 4K UHD release of 2001, Vertigo, The Ten Commandments, any of the finest restored classic 4K disks that have been released since the inception of the 4K format. The video print is immaculate and the video and audio scores are well deserved.

Mr. Robert Harris and the entire restoration team deserve high praise for their pain staking labor of love in rescuing this film treasure from extinction. My Fair Lady has never looked or sounded better.

Whether you are a fan of musicals or not, if you care about exceptional video and restored audio this film is a worthy addition to everyone's 4K UHD film library. I cant recommend it highly enough.

hi robb

I have a confession.

I’ve paid for a hit man to take out @Casimir Harlow

Well it’s going to be cheaper than the money I’m spending on films after reading his excellent reviews…

Evinger

Distinguished Member
I have a confession.

I’ve paid for a hit man to take out @Casimir Harlow

Well it’s going to be cheaper than the money I’m spending on films after reading his excellent reviews…
Bad @hi robb ! Very, Very Bad @hi robb ! :nono: :mad:

But... if you must, just send in Ruby Rose - Cas would probably top himself right there rather than listen to her explain why she was hired to do it.
Heck, so would I!

hi robb

But... if you must, just send in Ruby Rose - Cas would probably top himself right there rather than listen to her explain why she was hired to do it.
Heck, so would I!

it’s worse than that!

I’ve hired Justin Bieber to go stand outside Cas’s house and sing 😱

Evinger

Distinguished Member

Garrett

Dont worry Cas has given me a contract for the hitman hit, and anyone sing outside his house and a certain someone if he has an fatal accident before the years out:devil:;)

moraghan

Audrey Hepburn is a screen legend .... however this movie is awful. I honestly would rather watch .. and fall asleep ... to a 'new' Bruce Willis movie.

How many 10/10 movies have you guys given over the last few years? A lot ... and too many ...I reckon.

Obviously its all about personal opinions but I just don't get how anybody could give this movie a 10/10 rating.

Evinger

Distinguished Member
Obviously its all about personal opinions
You hit the Nail on the head right there.
My Wife enjoys Aubrey Hepburn Movies but not Musicals. I am middling with A.H. but enjoy musicals & love this one.
SWMBO loves Willow, me not.
Sunshine me, her no.
Etc. Etc.
10/10 just means that the Reviewers enjoy a wide gamut of Movies, therefore more high scores, especially when we are talking about few new Movies & many classic 4K re-releases recently.

moraghan

You hit the Nail on the head right there.
My Wife enjoys Aubrey Hepburn Movies but not Musicals. I am middling with A.H. but enjoy musicals & love this one.
SWMBO loves Willow, me not.
Sunshine me, her no.
Etc. Etc.
10/10 just means that the Reviewers enjoy a wide gamut of Movies, therefore more high scores, especially when we are talking about few new Movies & many classic 4K re-releases recently.

Cas is really saying the movie is a 9/10 .... which is fair enough .... the sound and picture quality basically make it a 10.

I would personally struggle to name more than 5 10/10 movies.

I am a miserable git though.....it's been said many times.

zantarous

Distinguished Member
Thanks for a great review - sounds stunning! I always find it bizarre when people say ‘old films’ wouldn’t benefit from 4K, it’s nonsense. Modern films are finished at 2k more often than not so benefit less than the well-preserved older ones!
I have learned mostly just to not respond to silly thing on the internet anymore but this one actually does rile me up a little. I have seen this said about old films so many times I feel like if your going to hang out on a AV forum how can you get something so wrong. And it is not something you even see at the beginning of the 4K format I am sure I see once a week someone post "4K is wasted on old films" oh god think I need to introduce my head to a brickwall!

My Fair Lady, Laurence of Arabia and the Ten Commandments are among some of the best look discs in my collection.

Donnacha

Distinguished Member
First off thanks for the review as it made me put this on my rental list. I watched it over the weekend and really enjoyed it.....I hadn't seen it in years, and never really paid much attention to it. The 4K disc is stunning, the PQ was fantastic and the sound also very good. As a film its very enjoyable especially to the 2 leads. Rex Harrison looked like he was having a ball and his musical numbers blended effortlessly into the film, especially with his songs being more "speech singing" than actual singing.

Evinger

Distinguished Member
Rex Harrison looked like he was having a ball and his musical numbers blended effortlessly into the film, especially with his songs being more "speech singing" than actual singing.
I remember that as well in Doctor Dolittle. Fitted perfectly.

The latest video from AVForums

LG C1 OLED TV Best Picture Settings for SDR, HDR and Dolby Vision
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sky drops Sky One brand and introduces Showcase and Max
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cleer Audio announces Roam NC, affordable TWS earbuds
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Toshiba smart TVs add Amazon Music and Twitch apps
  • By Andy Bassett