My Eyes Hurt

P

Pgamer

Guys,

Been spending some time on my nice new Sammy 40" LCD and I am noticing that my eyes seem really strained and ache!!! :thumbsdow

Anybody else have this with a new TV just gone from 32" CRT so this is a bigger screen than what I am used to, so just wondered if my eyes just need to get used to it?

Thanks,

P

Sporran

I found that going from me wega 32 to a bravia 32. after first night i was like umm tbh spent all that money and cant watch it.

Give it a few days, but i did tweak it too, inline with what other bravia peeps said and now its normal.

Im sure the eyes due need to adjust but at first is a shock you aint on your own, just some dont want to admit it ;)

Lin3ar

Distinguished Member
Pgamer said:
Guys,

Been spending some time on my nice new Sammy 40" LCD and I am noticing that my eyes seem really strained and ache!!! :thumbsdow

Anybody else have this with a new TV just gone from 32" CRT so this is a bigger screen than what I am used to, so just wondered if my eyes just need to get used to it?

Thanks,

P

Sitting too close to a big screen can cause eye strain.

clockworks

Novice Member
Sitting too close.

Screen too bright, or room too dim.

I watch my 40" Sammy from about 9 feet. I found the factory settings gave an awful picture - far too bright and highly coloured. A few hours tweaking fixed it.

andrewfee

Novice Member
This is a problem with most LCD televisions if you stick with out of the box settings. With the Samsung, it doesn't have a manual backlight adjustment, so you'll have to enable the "brightness sensor" and disable "dynamic contrast."

This should lower the backlight a fair bit, but still nowhere near enough for dark-room viewing. In a dark room you want around 100cd/m2, yet out of the box, the Samsung is 500! To further lower the overall brightness of the display, use the contrast control.

You're best to do this in a fully dark room with as close to a full-white screen as you can get, to set the maximum light output properly. (brightness only tells the set what is black, it does not lower the actual peak brightness of the display)

P

Pgamer

clockworks said:
Sitting too close.

Screen too bright, or room too dim.

I watch my 40" Sammy from about 9 feet. I found the factory settings gave an awful picture - far too bright and highly coloured. A few hours tweaking fixed it.
Thanks for the advice. Picture is really good so don't have a problem with it sitting about 11ft away most of the time, might have a go with the contrast as andrewfee sugested.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom