1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My experience with the DHT-550SD

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by matthts, Jan 22, 2005.

1. matthts

matthts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To finish the article I posted regarding the Denon DHT-500SD, I wanted to share my experience so far with the DHT-550SD.
    :thumbsup:

This set does not have a fan in the receiver. The set consists of a separate DVD-player and AV-receiver and active subwoofer. It is clearly a more 'professional' audio system.

First thing I noticed was the sound quality. It sounds even better that the 500SD. Especially the tuner (although I primarily bought it for DVD).
    The low frequencies 'feel' better than with the 500SD. It has more sound-possibilities and combinations, virtual surround, etc. Also the number of in- and outputs are enormous.

Most important for me is that I can look and listen to DVD with silent passages without whistling fan noise. But I must say that the € 150,-- difference is totally worth it. I can only recommend anyone who thinks about bying it (or the 500SD) to check it out and go listen at a reseller if you are not yet convinced.

2. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Out of interest what are the frequency ranges of the speakers on the 550? I thought they were the same frequency spectrum as the 500, actually I believe the speakers (apart from the active sub) are same as the 500 just with a slightly more robust connection on the back (please correct me if I'm in-correct).*

Also what are the extra sound possibilities and are these designed more with 6.1 and 7.1 in mind (rather like the 500 has the settings such as Concert, Hall etc. but they are only relevant if you have the additional speakers.

I know what you mean regarding the fan, it irritated me in the first instance but tweaking the menu settings soon sorted that out and now not an issue.

Just to re-dress the balance, after listening to the two I would say that if you're planning to go 6.1 or 7.1 then the 550 is the route to go, if 5.1 is your objective then the 500 is still tops. Whilst the 550 is the first step toward separates it still isn't really a "proper" separates set up (controversial?). I also tend to think that give it another few years and technology will have moved on to such an extent that we'll all be ditching our present kit to get the current one.

It's always good to get subjective opinions but in any case, both systems are great and wether you've got the 500 or 550 you're going to be pleased as both really are the business.

Discuss....

* 500 speakers Frequencies:
    - Satellites (incl. Centre) 120Hz - 90 kHz (100 Watts Peak)
    - Sub Woofer: 29Hz - 240 Hz (100 Watts Peak)

3. banjo21

banjo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Can the 550 switch svideo input and component input all out to the single component out?
    i.e could I have DVD of 550 as one component ip, Xbox as the 2nd component ip and Sky+ as a Svid input and have the 550 do auto sound and video switching of all three out onto single component out to screen?

4. butcher

butcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you get an answer to this? I am looking to do exactly the same thing.

5. Pugs1

Pugs1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    butcher, i'm after doing this too, any ideas?

6. Links

Links

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If I understand your question correctly - no, it won't output s-video signals via the component output. The Sky would have to be output seperately.

EDIT: I should add that I own the 550 and your idea was what I was originally going to do.

EDIT: And just to confirm - page 8 of the AVR-550SD manual says:

"The signals input to the colour difference (component) video jacks are not output from the VIDEO output jack (yellow) or the S-Video output jack. In addition, the video signals input to the VIDEO input (yellow) and S-Video input jacks are not output to the color difference (component) video jacks."

7. butcher

butcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I contacted Denon Tech Support (who responded the same day) who informed me that the 500 will NOT switch composite inputs to the Component output, which really puts a kaibosh on how I wanted to set things up! I now need to run a scart lead (through a wall) to another input on the Plasma and have this second input for SKy+ I am not sure about the X box ..... I currently use a VCR as my tuner and the Xbox can plug in to the line in on that but the quality is pretty poor. I wish I had done more research beforehand!! My set up is in the bedroom and my wife does not want a multitude of boxes so the 500 seemed ideal but not for me now.