1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My experience with the DHT-500SD

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by matthts, Jan 22, 2005.

1. matthts

matthts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just wanted to share my experience with the DHT-500SD. Mainly because I found confirmations about the fan noise on this forum.

So to go right into the issue I had; the fan noise. Indeed, I noticed the noise very well during the more silent passages of DVD-movies.
    What is the issue?

The DHT-500SD FAN is turned on when it plays DVD and volume is set at 45. it is not triggered by heat development (at least I have not found this). It is hardcoded in the firmware. It is not truned on when not playing DVD so you will not be able to hear it above 45 playing CD for example.

Many movies have silent moments for example conversations. And I guess people will set the volume at least at 45 to have the broad sound spectrum even in more silent passages. But at 45 the fan is being turned on. And in my case the fan was really whistling. It was not like wind you can hear at the back of your PC FAN. It was simply noise.

Luckily I was confirmed that it made noise by people who visited and noticed the noise at silent moments. And even the retailers confirmed it was noisy.

To end this story, I returned the set and tried a new one as the Denon distributor said it must be a unique issue. But with the new set the noise was even worse.

I lost my confidence in this set and returned it completely for a refund. But I new about the new DHT-550SD and went to the Denon distributor to investigate.

2. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
  3. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Have you tried going into the setup and setting the speaker volume levels to +10.
    This way the volume is higher with out the fan coming on.