My Experience with Sony KDFE50A12

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by God's Hamster, Mar 21, 2006.

1. God's Hamster

God's Hamster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hiya everybody! :hiya:

I just thought I'd share my experience with you chappies about my Sony 50 incher.
    1st of all thanks to logiclee and Dog for there inputs about this beast! You tempted me to get this and i'm very happy!

I've had it for around a month now with no issues at all! I mainly bought it for the xbox 360. COR BLIMEY! This TV and the 360 were made for each other, driving a Merc SLR with 15 coppers chasing you on a 50inch screen and surround sound is an unbelievable experience, even playing DVD's in the 360 is amazing! Gotta love Star Wars Episode 3!

Some owners mention the fan is noisy? Well, it's no louder than you average PC to be honest, and you would only hear it with the sound very low, but let face it people, with surround sound you are never gonna here that fan!

Other owner mention black levels are not very good?!? What are you smoking??? They are completely fine. Much, much better than my old 28" CRT. I really fail to see why you guys find the black levels so poor? I've watched Batman Begins, Matrix (all 3 of them) Alien versus Preditor and the black levels are utterly fine.

I've also read some owners turn the TV speakers off to connect external audio equipment? I've got a Sherwood Amp connected to Eltax floor speakers and the TV speakers are also on....?

One or two other people have mentioned there is a frosting on the screen? Sorry can't see it!

Right I have found a problem though.......watching sky. picture quality watching sky is not amazing, you do kinda see how poor sky outputs really are. Its certainly watchable, but after watching 12 hours of DVDs one day and playing Hidef 360 games the next day, its kinda disappointing. Don't get me wrong, Sky is perfectly watchable, i just can't wait until Sky HD is available, THEN this TV will shine.

Seriously, after checking out how good the Xbox360 performs in hidef on this beast, I am utterly happy with this purchase, and I saved for 2 years to get this kind of cash together for a Hidef TV and I am very glad I bought this. This size screen for just over 1000 notes? Complete bargain!

Thankyou for taking time to read this. I made a different thread as going though 70 odd pages just to find owners comments was taking a long time. (got dial up!:rolleyes: )

2. gkinghrn

gkinghrn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Are you sure you aren't in my house? This sounds EXACTLY like my view/experience too.....:lesson:

3. Mark.balcombe

Mark.balcombe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Couldn't agree more. Your experiences completely echo mine.

Mark

4. whymca

whymca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Hamster, perhaps you can help me.

I'm looking at this TV for my new place when I move in a few weeks (it's great to hear you're loving it so much). It's between this and possibly the Samsung HD 40" LCD or HD 42" Plasma. The wife is favouring the smaller flatscreens because it's going to go into a small bay in front of the window and she wants it as low as possible to avoid blocking out the light (the bay is about 1500mm wide so shouldn't have any problems there).

Having looked at the dimensions though, about 350mm minimum for a stand and then 700 - 750mm for the screen height on the flatscreens I've looked at means about 1000mm + in height.

The quoted height for the Sony 3LCD is about 850mm but I can't find anywhere that actually specifies that this includes the stand. If this was the case it would help me convince my good lady that the Sony is the best option.

Would you be able to let me know if this is roughly the correct height INCLUDING the stand?

(If you could also confirm that it's only 1180mm (ish) wide that would be great too!)

Thanks in advance.

Mark.

5. God's Hamster

God's Hamster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello

I'll measure the TV and Stand tonight when I get back from work and post it here tomorrow morning if thats ok?

My PC at home is on the blink y'see.

6. whymca

whymca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    That's very good of you mate, appreciate it! :thumbsup:

Hopefully you'll be helping to strike a blow for a man's right to have the biggest screen he can afford! :D

7. ian_c_uk

ian_c_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    A "thanks in advance" here also, we rearranged the front room due to my old Tosh RPTV creating an eclipse across the front room, and I'm considering this Sony next.

Would be nice to know if it will go in front of the window without losing daylight :D

Ian

8. gkinghrn

gkinghrn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    No FKN chance mate :D it'll be like a full solar eclipse... All depends on what you put it on - here's mine on a lower stand than the Sony one and you can see the height by the doorway next to it..it's a normal 6.5" doorway (or whatever noraml doorway are) http://www.avforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26813&d=1142258219

9. God's Hamster

God's Hamster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Wow! nice piccie!

Yes it is rather high to be honest (slight understatement!) I'm 6 foot 2 and it almost comes up to my shoulder!!! Big for a TV and a stand! :eek:

I'll post the exact dimensions tomorrow..........

10. gkinghrn

gkinghrn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    The TOP of the TV there is probably the Unit..the top of the TV is about 4 inches below that...

11. sitalchauhan

sitalchauhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    just did a quick search and found these dimensions:

SURG11M Stand Dimensions:
    Width: 109cm
    Height: 51cm
    Depth: 49cm

Sony KDFE50A12U TV Dimensions:
    Width : 118.4 cm
    Height : 82.7cm
    Depth : 40.8cm

Hope this helps

12. whymca

whymca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    sitalchauhan - Hi mate, thanks for the figures. :smashin:

Looks like the stand's going to be too tall but I might get away with the TV on some other kind of stand or unit!

If a plasma's around 70cm then 82.7cm could be workable! The wife'll never notice the difference, she's no good with measurements (lucky for me!! :D )

Right, now all I have to do is find some kind of unit that's only 20cm tall that will carry the TV and hold my Sky+ box, my xbox and my DVD player! :eek:

Cheers again for the info mate. :thumbsup:

13. coline

coline
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you think this tv is the one if watching mainly sky tv movies sport BBC / ITV etc - I watch dvd's occasionally and do not have xbox. It seems such a bargain for the size of screen. Will get sky Hd box at some point in future

Other option is Hitachi 7200 plasma but approx £300 more expensive + stand!!