My experience of the Humax Aura.

Looking at this thread just to see how the aura performs as I have the hdr foxt2 which although running fine should be on its last legs with the psu given how old it is

From what I can tell, most of the niggles with the Aura have been resolved, apart from the lack of Netflix and NowTV apps. Might worth looking at the MyHummy website for the latest news.

Looking at this thread just to see how the aura performs as I have the hdr foxt2 which although running fine should be on its last legs with the psu given how old it is

Though it shouldn't really come as any surprise, given how old the Fox is now, the Aura experience is completely different, and miles ahead of the 'old veteran', which I found frustrating when I owned one.

Just a pity that Humax released the Aura too early, soiling it's rep somewhat.

Though it shouldn't really come as any surprise, given how old the Fox is now, the Aura experience is completely different, and miles ahead of the 'old veteran', which I found frustrating when I owned one.

Just a pity that Humax released the Aura too early, soiling it's rep somewhat.
I have had one for years and put the custom firmware on at the start and only problem so far was a few years back I had to put another drive in, but as you say a bit long in the tooth but happy for the moment

Nothing wrong with using older kit if it still works and can be serviced! My 9+ y our old Panasonic PVR is still trundling along at present. It will be a pain when its HDD dies, because Panasonic don't make it easy to swap drives. Grrr.

Nothing wrong with using older kit if it still works and can be serviced! My 9+ y our old Panasonic PVR is still trundling along at present. It will be a pain when its HDD dies, because Panasonic don't make it easy to swap drives. Grrr.
I’m happy to plod along with my machine till the psu goes and that will be it then, I back up recordings to my server just in case

Yes, things like HDDs are easy to swap, but when the electronics die, game over.

I think it all comes down to expectations. I have always baulked at subscribing to Sky, but it has to be said that the user experience is one of, if not the best. When I purchased the Fox, I found it too clunky and 'obtrusive' in it's use, compared to the original Sky Digital boxes, however, it did get the job done. My old man had up until very recently used his Fox as his main platform (with custom firmware}, until he too purchased an Aura. His remote was failing (for a 2nd time), otherwise, I'm sure he would have kept on using it.

For my missus & myself, having had Sky Q since release & Sky Digital for many years prior, was looking for a viable alternative, & the Aura finally stands more chance of fulfilling that brief, even if the Fox & Aura ultimately do a 'similar" job.

I know for a few, this will be slightly contentious , but I have just taken delivery of a Humax Aura, and I'm more than taken back by how good it is!

A little bit of background.

I had a Humax Fox Hd years ago, when it first came out. I hated it - slow, frustrating and just generally extremely poor. Moving on a few years, I took a punt on a HDr-1010S, and again, found it an intensely frustrating experience! On both counts, our relationship didn't last long. I'm looking to ditch Sky, and as much as I enjoy the Q offering, in these times, it is proving to be too expensive. I'm done trying to haggle a better deal, hence looking at alternatives.

Que the Humax Aura.

My experience of Android Tv, has thus far, come from two sources - our 5 year old Sony 75" & via an NVidia Shield. I've read quite a few reviews on the Aura (too many!) to the point it has done 'my head in', and mainly because very few were glowing. It staggered me that in this age of multi room viewing, that a competant standalone PVR, was simply just not available. I had seriously considered the Manhatten T3 R, as it looks a decent bit of kit, but the limited multiple recording on offer, would come as quite a compromise. My missus time shifts stuff, like no other.

Now it also has to be said that our viewing habits tend to revolve around the main stream terrestial channels, with the odd Prime/Netflix movie. So with a Sky Signature & movies package with fibre internet, coming in at £108 per month, and in these trying times, it was now a case of let's tighten that belt!

It's unboxed ......

Having initially plugging the Aura into my AVM60, things did not start at all well. As a legacy of Sky Q 10bit, the main HDMI link from the amp to the TV, was set to receive HDR 10 bit enabled at the TV end. A digital haze ensued! After much head scratching, and thinking "here we go!", I resorted to resetting the HDMI config on the Tv, from enhanced HDMI, to standard, and hey presto, we're in business!

So, now having gone through the inital intuitive & painless box update & setup, what do I think?

There is no getting away from the fact, that argubly, Sky Q is the very best current offering, bar none. But as I alluded, and as everyone is no doubt aware, it does cost quite a chunk, depending on your package. The question is, for the saving that I am going to make, by going down the Freeview route, can I live with the Aura ....?

Absolutely YES!

It may not be perfect, and it's reliabilty is obviously unproven, but any imperfections, for me are very low key. It appears to be behaving itself - yes, I have a good antenna and I know that, because I put it up there! But having read the reviews, I was preparing to box it up, and send it back to Amazon, before I'd even taken it out of it's box - that's how little faith I had in it. I am not disputing that many have had a great deal of anguish with the Aura, and I have been there, with Humax's previous attempts at a PVR. But I can sincerely at this moment in time say, that I am more than a little impressed with what arrived today. Maybe my ambitions for it were, lets say, a little on the less expectant side. But today, for me my concerns have proved to be unfounded. Todays man in a white van bearing gifts offering, also brougnt an Amazon firestick 4K Max to the party. This is currently still sat in it's packaging, as the Humax has had all the attention. If all goes well with that (mainly for Netflix), then the world is a better entertainment place. That does bring up the one failing of the Aura for me, namely no Netflix. Is that a deal breaker? Absolutely not!

My contract with Sky comes to an end in early December. My plan is to see how it all pans out with this 'new' way of viewing TV, and whether any 'worts' show their ugly side. I have 30 days to make my mind up with the Aura - early indications are atleast positve.

Goodbye Sky (for now). It was nice while it lasted.
Can you play your recordings via your home Wifi network to a Tablet or iPad ?

Can you play your recordings via your home Wifi network to a Tablet or iPad ?
You can download recordings from the Aura onto your device via the Aura app, for viewing on said device.

You can download recordings from the Aura onto your device via the Aura app, for viewing on said device.
Thank you for your reply, so via the App you can download any of the recordings ( irrespective of channel?) to your Tablet or Phone but you cannot stream to Tablet or Phone like Sky Go ?

Not sure regarding whether you can stream recordings via the Aura, but I checked the app, and there is definately a 'Download' facility to transfer offline content (recordings).

Not sure regarding whether you can stream recordings via the Aura, but I checked the app, and there is definately a 'Download' facility to transfer offline content (recordings).
Thanks I thought you were using the unit. But thank you for your efforts in helping me.

Thanks I thought you were using the unit. But thank you for your efforts in helping me.

I had been using the Humax, but have just moved house & it is currently out of action as there's only an old aerial on the chimney that renders the Aura useless. I need to get up there & replace it (The previous owner of the property had Virgin cable installed.).

I have never really had need to use the download feature, but can confirm it is there.

I had been using the Humax, but have just moved house & it is currently out of action as there's only an old aerial on the chimney that renders the Aura useless. I need to get up there & replace it (The previous owner of the property had Virgin cable installed.).

I have never really had need to use the download feature, but can confirm it is there.
Thanks good luck with your settling in.

I know for a few, this will be slightly contentious , but I have just taken delivery of a Humax Aura, and I'm more than taken back by how good it is!

A little bit of background.

I had a Humax Fox Hd years ago, when it first came out. I hated it - slow, frustrating and just generally extremely poor. Moving on a few years, I took a punt on a HDr-1010S, and again, found it an intensely frustrating experience! On both counts, our relationship didn't last long. I'm looking to ditch Sky, and as much as I enjoy the Q offering, in these times, it is proving to be too expensive. I'm done trying to haggle a better deal, hence looking at alternatives.

Que the Humax Aura.

My experience of Android Tv, has thus far, come from two sources - our 5 year old Sony 75" & via an NVidia Shield. I've read quite a few reviews on the Aura (too many!) to the point it has done 'my head in', and mainly because very few were glowing. It staggered me that in this age of multi room viewing, that a competant standalone PVR, was simply just not available. I had seriously considered the Manhatten T3 R, as it looks a decent bit of kit, but the limited multiple recording on offer, would come as quite a compromise. My missus time shifts stuff, like no other.

Now it also has to be said that our viewing habits tend to revolve around the main stream terrestial channels, with the odd Prime/Netflix movie. So with a Sky Signature & movies package with fibre internet, coming in at £108 per month, and in these trying times, it was now a case of let's tighten that belt!

It's unboxed ......

Having initially plugging the Aura into my AVM60, things did not start at all well. As a legacy of Sky Q 10bit, the main HDMI link from the amp to the TV, was set to receive HDR 10 bit enabled at the TV end. A digital haze ensued! After much head scratching, and thinking "here we go!", I resorted to resetting the HDMI config on the Tv, from enhanced HDMI, to standard, and hey presto, we're in business!

So, now having gone through the inital intuitive & painless box update & setup, what do I think?

There is no getting away from the fact, that argubly, Sky Q is the very best current offering, bar none. But as I alluded, and as everyone is no doubt aware, it does cost quite a chunk, depending on your package. The question is, for the saving that I am going to make, by going down the Freeview route, can I live with the Aura ....?

Absolutely YES!

It may not be perfect, and it's reliabilty is obviously unproven, but any imperfections, for me are very low key. It appears to be behaving itself - yes, I have a good antenna and I know that, because I put it up there! But having read the reviews, I was preparing to box it up, and send it back to Amazon, before I'd even taken it out of it's box - that's how little faith I had in it. I am not disputing that many have had a great deal of anguish with the Aura, and I have been there, with Humax's previous attempts at a PVR. But I can sincerely at this moment in time say, that I am more than a little impressed with what arrived today. Maybe my ambitions for it were, lets say, a little on the less expectant side. But today, for me my concerns have proved to be unfounded. Todays man in a white van bearing gifts offering, also brougnt an Amazon firestick 4K Max to the party. This is currently still sat in it's packaging, as the Humax has had all the attention. If all goes well with that (mainly for Netflix), then the world is a better entertainment place. That does bring up the one failing of the Aura for me, namely no Netflix. Is that a deal breaker? Absolutely not!

My contract with Sky comes to an end in early December. My plan is to see how it all pans out with this 'new' way of viewing TV, and whether any 'worts' show their ugly side. I have 30 days to make my mind up with the Aura - early indications are atleast positve.

Goodbye Sky (for now). It was nice while it lasted.
Hi great to hear you are happy with the Aura as a Sky Q replacement but can you please help me as the one thing nobody seems to mention is does the Aura have the ability to stream your recording to a Tablet with the Aura app like the Sky Go app? Or do you have to download them to the tablet to watch them.
Hope you can help

Hi great to hear you are happy with the Aura as a Sky Q replacement but can you please help me as the one thing nobody seems to mention is does the Aura have the ability to stream your recording to a Tablet with the Aura app like the Sky Go app? Or do you have to download them to the tablet to watch them.
Hope you can help

I've not really used the app, but as far as I understand it, you download the recorded program material from the Aura to a tablet, & watch it from there.

HTH's

The latest video from AVForums

LG G4 OLED Best Picture Settings Out Of The Box - Filmmaker Mode!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom