My experience (Linksys, 3x VOIP providers) + questions

L

Laskina

I took the pludge and bought a Linksys PAP2 Vonage unit from broadbandbuyer.co.uk and here is my experience ...

1. broadbandbuyer.co.uk - good price (£25.80 incl VAT & delivery) and service (ordered late Friday arrived Wednesday)

2. Linksys PAP2 Vonage - very small :) Unlocked it after a couple of hours of googling (sorry but please dont ask me to tell you how - google has all the answers)

3. sipgate.co.uk - Registered with these guys first for a local number but couldnt connect to their service

4. sipdiscount.com - Registered here next and paid my £10. Connected to the service fine and got a number from them (0115 xxx xxxx). THEN connected the Linksys to my Panasonic Dect phones and it worked a treat :) Made a load of UK landline calls and my call list on their website confirmed they were all free (did spend £0.08 on a mobile call but still have £9.92 left!). BTW the quality of call is the same as BT (sometimes you get some very slight echoing and call break up - but nothing you dont sometimes get on a mobile)

5. voipcheap.co.uk - Then I found these guys with free calls to the UK about 10 other countries (including my wifes home country - woohoo!). But this service is designed for use only with their PC software ... or is it :) So I joined (another £10!) and then I started to play. sipdiscount.com and voipcheap.co.uk are owned by the same company so I wondered if the use they same SIP server ... and indeed they do :devil: So now connected to the voipcheap.co.uk service (will all those free national and international calls) using the Linksys and Dect phone :) Also got a new number (another 0115 xxx xxxx).

So its only been a day but so far calling out is fine and those international calls are really free (agained checked my call list on their website - still £9.92 in credit!)

The problem I have is the 0115 xxx xxxx number and calling it (btw its not a UK ringing tone) ... most times it either rings out or a get a "there is a fault" message. Can anyone help?

The other question I have is with the the Linksys and a standard Dect phone how can I switch between one service and another (other than physically switching between the two line outs on the Linksys)? Either for using BT to receive calls and voipcheap.co.uk to make calls or sipgate.co.uk to receive calls and voipcheap.co.uk to make calls - all using the same phone? Again, any help would be great thanks :)

Nick

I got them from Comet about 6 months ago. Very pleased with call quality!
Recently Amazon was doing 19.99/each but now they increased the price.

Besides voipcheap and sipdiscount, there are others also from the same Swiss Company, such as internetcalls, voipstunt, voipbuster.

Please note that your credits, from sipdiscount, voipcheap and others from the Swiss Company, remain only for 120 days.

About forwarding from 1 line to the other, there are few people who were successful on Sipura 2000 (which has the same hardware as PAP2). However, it still depends very much on providers you are using. I attached the instructions for you to try.

Cheers!
SV

Attachments

• How_to_forward_all_inbound_calls_to_the_OTHER_line.doc
    22.5 KB · Views: 160
svkhtn said:
Please note that your credits, from sipdiscount, voipcheap and others from the Swiss Company, remain only for 120 days.
SV

Is that right, sounds like a bit of a con to me!?:thumbsdow

kraiklyn said:
Is that right, sounds like a bit of a con to me!?:thumbsdow

No, not a con I think, simple means if you dont use their service for 120 days you lose your money.

But I dont care, I made over 3 hours of calls international calls today ... on BT it would have cost me over £20 ... on viopcheap.co.uk it cost me nothing :)

I'm new to this, and a sipdiscount user. I have 10 euros in my account and only call UK landlines for free.

If my credit is untouched in 120 days time and still at 10 euros (as I have been using only the free services), will it disappear even if i have used the service daily? Or does this only happen if I havent used my account for calls for 120 days?

Thanks all!

From the reports of voipcheap users, whether you are using or not, it still disappears after 120days.
I think sipdiscount and other sister companies from the Swiss one will have the same policies.

Anyway, make the most of it while you can !!!

PS. I used them a lot for the past 6months. Well worth every penny!!!

Yes, it does expire after 120 days since you last used the service. This is the same across all their companies such as VoipStunt,VoipCheap and VoipBuster. The following text is taken from the VoipCheap website:

"This credit deposit will stay untouched as long as you are calling the free destinations and remains valid for 120 days after your last purchase."

Can someone tell me how the PAP2 recognises the service provider, or point me to some setup info beyond what Linksys seem to offer?

If as in the first post in this thread, you are using sipdiscxxx and then want to use sipgatexxx, does it recognise these services are both on the line?

There doesn't seem to be any config in a genuine "unlocked" device user guide.

Thanks

All you do is point the particular line on your PAP2 to the service providers servers.

Each line (1 & 2) has a config page on the web management console of the PAP2 where these items can be configured.

Attached is what the console looks like for Line 1 - very simple - just a few parameters.

In terms of switching providers, I think you can do this "on the fly" with some VOIP boxes, but with the PAP2 its two lines and therefore two providers. And if you want to switch then its a manual changing of cables from one line to the other.

I have settled on keeping my BT line for all incoming calls and then using the PAP2 for all outgoing. It means having two phones but I dont mind that when you consider the money you are saving.

Attachments

• PAP2_Console.gif
    PAP2_Console.gif
    48.5 KB · Views: 86
Thank you,
I had just got to that screen, but had been wary of clicking on the "Admin login". Product instructions don't tell you to login here and I thought I'd seen forum discussion about problems with passwords.

Anyway, set it up and immediate connection. Brilliant voice quality compared with Xlite softphone through the pc!

Had to set "use outbound proxy" to "yes" to hear incoming voice. Default was set to "no". No router port forwarding necessary.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom