1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My experience at Episode II

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Stuart Wright, May 18, 2002.

1. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,530
    I booked tickets for myself and my girlfriend for 2pm Friday 17th and the same time the following Thursday.
    We took the afternoon off and sat with about 40 people in the huge (600ish seater) THX screen 7 at UGC Rubery.
    First the Sound.
    The soundtrack itself was spectacular but was disappointing only because of the poor quality of the print. The Dolby Digital track on a standard print is between the sprocket holes and easily gets dirty and damaged. When the DD signal is lost, the audio drops out to the Dolby surround analogue track with a blip which is audible during quiet moments of, for example, music. It was dropping out every few seconds and very noticable in parts. Since the print is supposed to be 1 day old, I was very disappointed and the soundtrack from a DVD would wipe the floor with it.
    The picture had a number of issues. The lack of specs, scratches and such was noticable. Of course since it was filmed digitally there should be zero dirt on the picture before transfer to celluloid and the print did appear pretty clean. Which was at odds with what sounded like a dirty soundtrack.
    What I did notice at many points throughout the movie is that the people/objects being the focal point were in extreme focus. You would normally expect, for example, of 2 people in conversation on the far left and right of the picture, 1 might appear a little soft. Maybe down to focussing issues. But I noticed that people were in crisp focus - perhaps in contrast to near objects - and it felt a tad unnatural. The most annoying aspect of the picture came from being projected. There was a slight vertical jitter and variances in brightness which annoyed me. Again, I believe that a DVD would wipe the floor with this in all aspects other than size, of course.
    The movie itself was spectacular and I left the cinema very, very satisfied. It was brilliant. I remember being elated at the end of the original Star Wars in 1977. If we'd seen Clones back then, I'm sure children would have been collapsing in fits of sensory delight.
    Not eye candy but eye 'all you can eat in a sweet factory'.
    George is redeemed.
    And I'm really looking forward to our next viewing on Thursday.

**** SPOILER FOLLOWS *****

The only dissapointment with regard to plot was that Yoda didn't kill Dukoo. During that amazing light sabre fight, I was in pleasure overload while Yoda was bouncing about and if he'd lopped Dukoo's head off, I'd have cheered like an American.

2. stalefish

stalefish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went to the Premiere at the Odeon Leicester Sq in the week...
    My advice would be to travel to one of the few DLP projection theatres in the country...This was the first time the film had been shown in DLP form (even to Mr Lucas himself) and I have to say, it blew me away, knocking anything else into a cocked hat...
    Including a first-use print of Spiderman I saw recently.
    Digital Projection is the way forward for me.
    Sitting in the royal circle 3 rows behind Mr Lucas made the film all the more enjoyable too!
    And I agree 100% with Spectre about the Yoda Fight scene..everybody in the was cheering the little green guy on!!

3. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,530
    I have seen a demo of DLP - the trailer from Dinosaur - and it is very, very good. Almost too sharp. Recommended.

4. Seany boy!!!

Seany boy!!!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spectre,
    Now thats the way to post a **Spoiler** notice ;)

5. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    i saw Episode II in DLP last week at Star City Birmingham and it is awesome. Spectre, drive a little further Rubery is old now and not very good. DLP is worth the mileage.

Garyd