1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MY DVD is scratched unable to backup possible to repair DVD Decrypter - read errors ?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by jamieuk23, Jul 2, 2005.

1. jamieuk23

jamieuk23
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi I bought a DVD/Ps2 game from ebay (singstar karaoke game). from playing the game last night it would some times just freeze up when loading to the main game play.

I have tried to make a backup of the disk using DVD decrypter but I keep on gettign read errors at 26%.

looking at the disk I have noticed it has a few scratches on it so I am guessing this is the mian cause of the problem.

I have cleaned the DVD with specail DVD/CD cleaner spray + tried backing it up using another DVD writer I ahve on my PC and I still get the errors at 26%.

It does give me the option in DVD decrypter to ignore read errors, but I woudl only end up with the same bad data the same as the orginal but on a diffrent DVD-r disk.

do you no off any way I can fix these reading errors using certian software ?? + what are my options here ??

thanks for your help guys !!

jamie

2. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,374
    Best thing to do would be to take it to a rental shop that does a disc repair service or to buy one of those disc repair kits.

3. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,509

I think Special Reserve sell these kits. I couldnt find it on their site but I have seen them in their magzine. Give them a ring. :D

http://specialreserve.co.uk/

:thumbsup:

4. DVD-RAM

DVD-RAM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have heard that plastic polish works, not tried it though.

5. jamieuk23

jamieuk23
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    any 1 no of any software that can allow me to rip the game to my hard drive and fix the errors at the same time. ???

6. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,

I'm not sure about PS/2 games - I'm talking about movies on DVD now - but this might work for a PS2 disk also. A friend of mine had a badly scratched disk that wouldn't work, so he used T-Cut on it. He reckons that all scratches were removed and the disk now reads fine.

From what I understand, you can afford to loose some of the protetive layer from the top surface of the disk - you just need to remove enought so that the scratches are not so deep.

NOTE - I HAVEN'T TRIED THIS MYSELF YET, SO IF YOU TRY THIS THEN IT IS ENTIRELY AT YOUR OWN RISK !!

7. Mr_Wistles

Mr_Wistles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,955
    I have used brasso on my discs before and it works very well.

8. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,435
    I use t-cut to repair my discs :rolleyes: it sort of takes off a couple of layers to get scratches out etc.... I only do it if it really needs it though

tris

9. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    all these make shift things, although some work, are risky, i scratched halo2 on the day of release and was brickin it. I tried toothpaste, no go, and didnt want to risk anything like t cut as id tried on a test disc and it didnt look good.

so i bought this:
    http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=...products&searchstring=wipe+out+cd&page=search
    and it actually works really well, it scratches tiny scractches all around major scratches, and the lasar can see through these "microscopic" scratches. theres enough for tens of generous applications as well. Its fixed all my old scratched discs, the only time it hasnt worked is when the foil layer itself has been damaged. Give it a go, for £6.49 you cant go wrong!