1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My DVD buying habits have changed

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Mr Cheese, Jul 17, 2003.

1. Mr Cheese

Mr Cheese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I'm using fewer and fewer online retailers at the mo'. It strikes me that so many high street retailers have offers on at any one time that, if you shop carefully, often they can be cheaper that on line.

Of course there's less hassle too. Easy to return faulty discs, immediate viewing, etc...

Obviously there is generally less choice, but there are bargains out there. For instance in the Game 2 for £25 at the weekend I picked up 28 Days Later and Changing Lanes. I could have bought 8 Mile, Trainspotting SE, Die Another Day, Daredevil, Gangs of New York, etc all for £12.50 each. Compare this to online and I'll think you'll find prices are very similar indeed. Even my local Woolies is doing Red Dragon for £9.99!

If you don't mind used discs, I've picked up a bargain or three at my local Blockbuster, especially newer titles. However, you must be careful in your selection here. Quite often the ex-rentals are more sparse than their retail counterparts.

I do buy online still....just not that often anymore....!

2. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I rarely buy new discs unless it's a title I really want (Two Towers) or a stupidly cheap bargain (Lantana for £6). All my other purchases are made through the trading forums, either here or over at thedvdforums

3. hamtaro

hamtaro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have also slowed down on my dvd collecting habits....want to get back into laserdisc as a companion format.

4. kevb

kevb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Bully for you lot. My life will never be that same again now.:)

5. Marshan Man

Marshan Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mine have changed drastically.. i couldnt afford to continue my DVD buying addiction... have moved more into gettin stuff of kazaa... its ok as a subsitute till i can get off the dole (which starts the morrow when i start my new job :D

6. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is true that High Street retailers seem to be discounting DVDs before the online sellers these days. But when the onliners do discount, it is often a little cheaper, you just have to wait an extra week or so.

7. Andy Godfrey

Andy Godfrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you really are looking for Bargains then come to Weston Super Mare - we have (at last Count) 7 stores selling second hand DVDS and I've picked up loads of bargains and never had a problem. Latest one was "Bridge on the River Kwai" (2 discs for a fiver) I think that going second game (Game shop etc) is the best way to go!

8. Andy Godfrey

Andy Godfrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry - meant second hand not game!!

9. stretcher

stretcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I think I'm missing out here

Obviously the wrong sort of Blockbuster store or local markets.

But then it is the supposedly affluent south east - where EVERYONE is ripped off:laugh: