1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My dream

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Kobus, May 31, 2005.

1. Kobus

Kobus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I was a teenager my friends and I always dreamed of having a "soundroom" so that we could listen to our music as loud and clear as we want to without bothering anybody.
    Those were the days before home theatre which has obviously put my dream into a new price level, but has also made the dream more exciting.

Well the time has come for me to do it.

At the moment my "home theatre" is one of the first (over-priced) out of the box models and my hi-fi is a good old NAD 3150 + B&W dm110i etc.

The room I am converting was a single garage before my time and subsequent to that it was converted to a granny-flat (also before my time).

I am renovating my whole house and this conversion is part of the renovation.

I will post some pictures and some explanations with them.

2. netflix

netflix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One brilliant dream! Looking forward to seeing the spec's and the piccies!

3. Kobus

Kobus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The room size is 7m x 4m. It has solid brick walls (9 inch) and will have no windows.

The first picture shows the front. On the right of the picture the ex-shower of the granny-flat can be seen. On the left is the door to the main house. On the top right there is a bulkhead which forms part of the structure which I will have to use somehow in the esthetics of the room.

The second picture shows where my equipment will be placed, which is to the right of the eventual projector screen. There are 3 double plug points plus 3 x 50mm conduits going into the roof/ceiling for speaker & av leads.?? Plus another plug point for a guessed spot for the sub. At the centre bottom is a unrelated pipe of the old toilet.

The third picture shows the old plaster and ceiling removed, speaker conduits and the entrance door built up

Attached Files:

4. R2D2

R2D2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    looking good so far

5. Kobus

Kobus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Progess,

Walls are plastered, ceiling is in and the bulkheads have been made.

First picture is front wall (screen).
    Second is the rear wall. I hope that it will work regarding distance, in the rear bulkhead I left an opening for the projector. The projector will be a ae700 and the distance to screen is just over 6m. According to specs this should be fine, although I do not know if it is wise to have it so far back.
    Third is the entrance to the ht.

Attached Files:

6. psflynn

psflynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Kobus,

I find myself frequenting this site too often, and reading about too much kit, and consequently my "ideal" system now costs 10 times what I had originally thought of !!!

Hope you realise the dream.

7. Taz69

Taz69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Kobus, looking good m8, on the throw of 6m with the AE700 what picture size will you have, I have a room which is about 5.5m and I was thinking of the AE700 on the back wall, but I have a fire breast with alcoves not a flat wall at the other end and a 2m screen.

Thanks
    Taz

8. Kobus

Kobus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am aiming at a picture width of +- 2,4m.

9. BruceH

BruceH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Any reason why you are placing the equipment next to the screen.
    I was planning that originally, when someone pointed out, it would be better for me to place it at the back nearer the projector.
    Much shorter signal cable to the projector and also it leaves the front / screen end of the room looking less cluttered.

Just my 2c.

Other than that, good looking job so far.

10. Kobus

Kobus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Finally some progress. Due to the fact that the whole house is being renovated, I had to wait for progress in other areas and the dust to settle before finishing my ht.

The walls and ceiling is painted, carpet in and I am starting to do some wiring, AND my new equipment started to arrive.

The first picture is the rear wall where the projector will be mounted.

Second is the front where the screen will be mounted. The equipment that is standing there is new Pioneer Axa5i & 868 dvd + Panasonic ae700. The speakers standing there are my old hi-fi speakers. They are B&W dm110i which I will use as rears for now.

Third picture shows the door/entrance. The door is a bit of an issue as it was mainly chosen for looks, but I think soundproofing might not be that good. For now that is the problem of others.

Will show some final pics soon. I CAN NOT WAIT.

Attached Files:

11. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +939
    I bet, it looks very smart and has come on really well :thumbsup:

12. Dominic

Dominic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    kobus

a note about the screen size versus throw. I have the AE500 ( simular optics i think) it gives me a 2m picture from around 3.2m so its worth checking out projector central for the size charts and double check before its too late.