My DPP39 video nasties quest/reviews

Hugh

Distinguished Member
I recently decided to buy and view all (that are available) 39 of the DPP39 video nasties in alphabetic order. These are the films that were successfully prosecuted under the obscene publications act in the early '80s and considered to be "The Video Nasties List".

I've also reformatted the original video covers to fit a DVD case, so I can replace the newer DVD covers with the more recognisable covers, so that I can display all 39 on a wall display (Being built and put up in the next day or so)

So, I'll give a small review of each film and disc, with minimal, or no spoilers. Maybe someone might find a use for this. Otherwise, it'll just be something to amuse myself as I go along. Due to other commitments, I may only be able to view one a week. And with some of these titles, that's probably all I can manage. Don't think there's enough beer in the world to view several at once. :rotfl:

Last edited:

Hugh

Distinguished Member
01. Absurd

Titled "Horrible" on the US MYA label : Region free.

Rated NR : uncut 94 minutes NTSC.

Not a bad "psycho on the loose" thriller with a few nice gruesome death scenes. Move starts with a man being chased by a priest and dragged onto a spiked gate, spilling his guts all over. Off to hospital for emergency operation. This sets up the story that this being is a super healing human who doesn't seem to have all his marbles. Cue the bloody escape from hospital and siege upon a babysitter, babysittee and bed ridden sister.
A/V Non-Anamorphic widescreen 1.66:1

It's pointed out at the beginning of the disc that due to the fact that original film elements have been lost, there are a few scenes that have been spliced into the film from a VHS master, and it shows. The difference in quality jumps by quite a margin a few times, but thankfully, these scenes are not vital to the story and don't really cause any major distraction. Kudos to the producers for going to the trouble to make a "complete" version, when most would just throw together what they could get hold of and be done with it. Audio is as expected, mono, but I found that the music added greatly to the overall tension of the film.

Overall 6.5/10. Enjoyable way to pass 90 minutes.

Attachments

• Absurd.jpg
    Absurd.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 156
  • Absurd_new.jpg
    Absurd_new.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:

Hugh

Distinguished Member
02. Anthropophagus the Beast

Titled "Anthropophagus : The Grim Reaper" on the US Shriek Show label : Region 1.

Rated NR : uncut 91 minutes NTSC.

Holiday yacht sets sail for a small Greek island, but once there the inhabitants appear to have disappeared. It soon becomes apparent that there is a killer on the island, and the new arrivals are next. Notorious for the foetus eating scene, which isn't as shocking as you'd imagined. Not a great film by any stretch of the imagination.

A/V Anamorphic widescreen 1.66:1
Passable widescreen image quality, and slightly muddy stereo audio. Found myself on more than one occasion, skipping back to try to catch what was said.

Overall 5.5/10. Only really for the curious.

Attachments

• Anthropophagus the Beast.jpg
    Anthropophagus the Beast.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 199
  • Anthropophagus the Beast_new.jpg
    Anthropophagus the Beast_new.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:

Hugh

Distinguished Member
03. Axe

Titled "Axe" on the UK ILC Prime Label

Rated 18 : uncut 68 minutes PAL.

A trio of gangsters on the run hole up at a place in the middle of nowhere. Owned by young woman Lisa and her paralysed father, the criminals are not invited or wanted in the house. When the inevitable rape of Lisa happens, the revenge is harsh.
Only the actress playing Lisa seems to have been to acting school (and then maybe part time). The killings are gruesome enough, but the scenes between are slow. Even at a paltry 68 minutes long (The last 7 of which are a couple of pages of credits stretched out to a ridiculous length), I found myself wishing for the end.

A/V Full screen 1.33:1
Fairly washed out colours, possibly due to a poor NTSC to PAL transfer, with almost "Dawn of the Dead" style of overbright red blood/paint/tomato soup. As for audio, well there is some. That's about as much as can be said for that.

Overall 5/10. Meh. That's all I could think of here.

Attachments

• Axe.jpg
    Axe.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 137
  • Axe_new.jpg
    Axe_new.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

Hugh

Distinguished Member
04. The Beast in Heat

Titled "SS Hell Camp" on the US Shriek Show label : Region 1.

Rated NR : uncut 86 minutes NTSC

Crazed female Nazi scientist wants to populate the world with her genetically manipulated sex beasts. Rapes, murders, torture and genital chomping, it's all here. Including guinea pigs dressed (poorly) as rats. Local villagers intent on removing the Nazis, result in a final battle that has to be seen to be believed. I was crying with laughter by the end. Poor fight scenes intercut with very old, poor quality stock footage makes for an unintentionally funny ending. I must say I was very drunk when I watched this, and to be fair I think I needed to be.

A/V Anamorphic widescreen 1.85:1
Apart from the shockingly bad stock footage inserts, the picture on this isn't too bad. Nice clear stereo sound too.

Overall 4/10 and I'm being generous. Only if you're a sadist or must watch all 39DPP titles.

Attachments

• Beast in Heat, The.jpg
    Beast in Heat, The.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 157
  • Beast in Heat, The_new.jpg
    Beast in Heat, The_new.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:

Hugh

Distinguished Member
Just finished the wall display.

Takes up most of the wall but seems to be sturdy enough.

Looks great.

Be nice to fill in all those gaps.

Attachments

• wall01.jpg
    wall01.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 204
  • wall02.jpg
    wall02.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 205
  • wall03.jpg
    wall03.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 215
  • wall04.jpg
    wall04.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 215
  • wall05.jpg
    wall05.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 214
  • wall06.jpg
    wall06.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 224
  • wall07.jpg
    wall07.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 239
  • wall08.jpg
    wall08.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 384
  • wall09.jpg
    wall09.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 650
Last edited:

IAN P

Novice Member
It's different, I'll give you that.:smashin::D

Should look pretty cool when complete. Your guests might give you odd looks though.

DICKIEDUVET

Distinguished Member
Should look like my local Video Shop circa 1983 when finished, God I miss those days :(

aceytrixx

Novice Member
Just finished the wall display.

Takes up most of the wall but seems to be sturdy enough.

Looks great.

Be nice to fill in all those gaps.

Totally off topic but where can you buy those? Also would there be blu ray sizes available? Thinking for my games room upstairs it would look pretty nice to have my PS3/Xbox titles like that

Hugh

Distinguished Member
Totally off topic but where can you buy those? Also would there be blu ray sizes available? Thinking for my games room upstairs it would look pretty nice to have my PS3/Xbox titles like that

They're called "DVD/Game Frame Wall Tiles", and as far as I can see they only seem to be available in DVD/Game or CD sizes. Haven't seen any blu-ray sized ones. There are rubber tabs at the top and bottom edges to hold the case, so won't grip a blu-ray case.

They're online for between £12 and £20 for a box of six. I got mine off ebay, and from the seller ID, I'd say it was the manufacturer selling them. Not sure if I should link to ebay, but you should be able to find them if you search for the quoted text, or google should find a supplier, if you're not happy to use ebay.

Last edited:

aceytrixx

Novice Member
Cheers found some on ebay now so reckon I will go down that road in the new year and just hope some blu ray size ones appear in the future

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
Judging by your reviews so far....why would you want all these? You dont seem to like them! :D

Are any of them bad in a good way like Samurai Cop for instance? I could understand then ;)

Hugh

Distinguished Member
Judging by your reviews so far....why would you want all these? You dont seem to like them! :D

Are any of them bad in a good way like Samurai Cop for instance? I could understand then ;)

Can't say for sure yet, but there will probably be a few. Not seen Samurai Cop, but that sounds like a film I could watch and take away some experience. ;)

I'm four in so far and I enjoyed Absurd, although I had seen it back in the VHS days, and The Beast in Heat was certainly an experience :rotfl:. It's not all bad. Each film, good or bad, is an eye opener. Although the reviews might seem negative so far, I'm being honest and if you've seen them, you might see something in what I've said. Wouldn't want anyone to think that these were great movies :laugh:.

I'm almost certain I'll find a few gems along the way, and if not, then I'll definitely see some rather bizarre films, the likes of which I've not seen before.

quarry2006

Was Nightmares In A Damaged Brain in that list of 39?

quarry2006

That's the only "nasty" I've ever been interested in seeing, to be honest. It's still banned isn't it?

DICKIEDUVET

Distinguished Member
It's been re-released with cuts in the UK but there is a nice uncut special edition DVD from Code Red in the US that's a full 2 discer from a HD Master with some nice extras too.

quarry2006

Sounds a good 'un. I'll root that one out. Cheers, fella.

Hugh

Distinguished Member
05. Blood Bath

Titled "Bay of Blood" on the UK Arrow label. Region free.

Rated 18 : uncut 84 minutes 1080p .

A very nice movie. Killer on the loose around the bay. Starts with a randy foursome stopping off for a swim and a party in some local shacks. Unfortunately they get tangled up in a battle over the sale of the bay. Murders aplenty and things that will later be seen in "Friday the 13th". Nicely shot and acted, apart from the "Tarrot Cards" woman, who really hams it up. :rotfl:
The ending is right up there with "City of the Living Dead" in terms of wierdness.

A/V 1.78:1
Very nice widescreen print used for the HD release, but the sound! It may be mono, but the levels were all over the place. Have the volume where you can hear the mumblings, and you'll be deafened when anyone raises their voice or any music or action happens. I ended up putting the English subtitles on and having the volume for the most part a bit quiet, so that if something happened, I didn't have to dive for the remote.

Overall 7/10. Nice bit of early slasher action.

Attachments

• Blood Bath.jpg
    Blood Bath.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 149
  • Blood Bath_new.jpg
    Blood Bath_new.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:

grant666uk

Loving this thread. Keep up the good work.

Hugh

Distinguished Member
06. Blood Feast

Titled "Blood Feast" on the US Something Weird label. Region free.

Rated NR - Uncut 67 minutes NTSC.

Bonkers caterer agrees to put on a special authentic Egyptian feast for a young woman's birthday. Unfortunately this feast involves the harvesting of various other womens body parts. Lots of gory deaths follow. Interesting for the age ofthe film. Some really very gory scenes for the '60's. Must have been a real eye opener watching this way back then.

A/V 1.33:1
Nice tidy picture quality and crisp clear mono soundtrack.

Overall 6.5/10

Attachments

• Blood Feast.jpg
    Blood Feast.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 142
  • Blood Feast_new.jpg
    Blood Feast_new.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Samsung teases 76-inch MicroLED TV plus flagship Q950A soundbar
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Amazon Music fully available on Android TV and Google TV platforms
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony announces A90J UK/EU price and March availability
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 27th February 2021