my DLP shopping experience

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by nevtra, Mar 13, 2006.

1. nevtra

nevtra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I thought that I would share my experiences of purchasing a DLP set from a large chain store with everyone, this is meant as food for thought when selecting a retailer.

In December last year I bought a Sagem HD45S, took it home and was absolutely chuffed, i thought it was fantastic. As a precaution i took out Currys "Whatever Happens" policy @ £6 per month, sat back and enjoyed my new TV.

February came around and hey presto, the set had a complete breakdown, her in doors was agasp, "oh dear" she said, "thats a thousand hard earneds down the drain". "Hey", "relax sweatheart" was my reply, "for once i've done something right love, i bought a policy just for this sort of situation". I then made the call and explained that the set needed repairing and could they arrange collection, they informed me that an engineer needed to call first to try and repair it. So, two days later a guy arrived, looked at the set and said, "It's completely gone, no power at all, i'll arrange collection this thursday". Fine i thought, then i rang them and asked if they could provide a loan set as we had already been without a tv for a week, "certainly sir" was the reply, and i thought "cool, thats service, glad i bought the policy".

Well, Thursday camee but the van didn't, i rang them and was told that the collection was cancelled as i had requested a loan set, they were all on loan so i had to wait until one was available, this wasn't explained to me at the time as i would never had agreed to that, anyway i asked the lady to rearrange collection and on the following Thursday they picked it up. I waited until monday then rang to enquire as to when the set would be repaired. The lady explained that it hadn't been to an engineer yet so she couldn't say, "ring back on Wednesday" she said.
    I rang again on wednesday and was told that they had ordered parts and that when they arrived they would be fixing it, and letting me know when i could have it back.

Now this didn't worry me as the policy has a clause about how long the process takes, if you wait longer than 21 days then they replace, so i wasn't too concerned.
    the following week i recieved a letter saying that they had been unable to repair and the local Currys were expecting me to arrange a replacement via voucers. Again i wasn't obverse to this as i thought "hey a new one rather than a repair, cool".
    When i got to the store it turns out that they didn't have the sagem anymore, this was a bit worrying as i'd looked into DLP's and the sagem is the best pic per pound, an opinion i shared after two months use, anyway i didn't want to get into a refund argument so i selected the Samsung SPL46l6, (after reading loads of threads here).

This is when my patience ran thin.
    The assistant told me when chosing, that the set wasn't in stock, so i asked when it would be available, he said "you can pick it up Monday(today) Sir"

Guess what
    It wasn't there, I then asked when it would be available and the manager said, "don't know Sir".

This is when i asked for a refund. Now i don't know the origin of the word refund, but there's one thing i can tell you with absolute authority. CURRYS DONT KNOW THE MEANING OF THE WORD REFUND. Rather than employ a no quibble policy it seems they have a policy of "quibble no matter what". the conversation got quite heated as i ran through the details of my case, where as far as i'm concerned, i'd been very accomodating. The guy just did the robot "head office" bit, but still no refund. One thing i must warn you of though is the policy, according to this store robot, the policy small print says "in store voucer" where repair isn't an option, thus rendering any consumer legistlation void, as i'd agreed to a replacement and created a new contract.

Does anyone know if this is true?.

Sorry for going on but i'm mighty pi**ed about this, so if theres a lawyer out there reading this please help.
    Thanks for listening

2. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    The Sale of Goods Act is on your side here. Where a fault develops in the first six months of ownership, it can be assumed that the fault was there at the time of delivery. It is up to the retailer to prove the fault wasn't there. Your statutory rights allow you to reject goods on this basis, and you do not have to accept vouchers in lieu of a cash/credit card refund.

Go back to the store in question, with a friend (as witness) and firmly, but politely request a refund. Be careful not to lose your temper, just state the facts.

Don't be surprised, even if you quote Sale of Goods act or Trading Standards, they still may refuse. You might need to write instead.

These robots are so heavily programmed, that they'd most likely still refuse even if you were holding a gun to their head!

Good Luck.

3. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +396
    Do Currys not have the Sagem 45 G4 model?

4. nevtra

nevtra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No i'm affraid not, they no longer supply Sagem sets.

5. willwood

willwood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its very simple, write to head office and tell them that if they don't give you your money back you will issue a summons in the small claims court. Its dead easy to do, go to moneyclaim.gov.uk. The law is on your side and believe me, they will back down.

It really annoys me that large retailers have this attitude, and they wonder why they are losing business.

6. Jordans Norks

Jordans Norks
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Currys only have to give a refund in the first 28 days under the sales of Goods act, they can legally repair, replace after this time:lesson:

7. gkinghrn

gkinghrn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Yeah and their so called Price Promise is so crap.... I wanted them to beat a deal on offer at a store 25 miles away..their 'promise' is only good for 10 miles radius... Ipointed out there was a Curry's a mile from the store in question so all they were making me do was drive there...they said yes but they'll honour it....

Now how EDIT daft is that...it would cost me petrol money to go to the store and buy it...then it was so big it would have had to be delivered..yet I wasn't allowed to even phone the Curry's store next to the other shop ( a small retailer) to place the order ..So I called the little retailer and they took my order and delivered next day....

So be aware what that price promise means..I think they were anal in the way they handled this and all that happened was they lost mout on a £2k sale...stupid beggars..:lesson:

8. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Precisely, although strictly speaking 28 days as a period is never mentioned in any legislation, it is supposed to be "reasonable time" after purchase. After this period the seller, after a fault is shown, is only legally resonsible for repairing or providing a suitable replacement. The replacement doesn't have to be identical but merely like for like, the OP could argue that anything other than the Sagem wouldn't be of the same quality and thus maybe persuade Currys to refund. If the retailer does decide to refund then they can't do so by just offering in-store vouchers, they have to offer a full cash refund.

9. Gary_W

Gary_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    And the problem here is that they are unable to repair the goods and they are unable to replace the goods with the same model. That's there fault, not the customers.

It's a bit like the old parrot shop sketch where the shop owner says 'you can have a slug...'

'Does it talk?'

'No'

'Well it's hardly a replacement then, is it'.

Sorry to be terribly out of fashion and quote Python, but it was obvious back then as well :D

10. Jordans Norks

Jordans Norks
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Bang on mate - however 28 days is generally accepted as reasonable...I don't think many companies would risk refusing a refund before this time and probably explains why some companies are more accomodating.

With my experience with Currys they adhere to the 28 days as glue - they gave me a refund when my Denon went off for repair (broke after 28 days) and got lost...after another 28 days (reasonable repair time) had past they gave me my money back.

It felt like a battle though when it shouldn't be...after all I know things go wrong...it's how it's dealt with that determines whether my custom comes back or not!

11. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    If you read my thread again you'll see that the replacement doesn't have to be the exact same model or even manufacturer, it merely needs to be like for like. However I did say it would be reasonable for the OP to argue that any other model, given the limited numbers of different DLP models, wouldn't necessarily be a suitable like for like replacement.

12. mojoicus

mojoicus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You have me really worried now i took out the same set and the cover and from currys
    If i get a fault say in about a year are they gonna fix/replace/refund me cause if not i may as well cancel the cover
    And on another note if the set is screwed wont sagam replace it for you?

13. 182

Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I used to work for pc world. The amount of people wanting refunds on pc's was astonishing, but never did i see the manager give one. Only one time when a deaf guy wanted a refund did he do it. He just wanted to get this deaf guy out of the shop as quickly as possible. If people really knew what the dixons group really think of their customers, they would go out of business very quickly.
    The cover plan is the biggest con ever, just get good house insurance instead.

14. Gary_W

Gary_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I'm actually agreeing with you, believe it or not.

There was another chap on here a couple of weeks ago whose Sagem 45 inch died and Currys offered him a choice of 3 other sets. None was a 45 inch and none were to his liking. Bit like having a BMW pack in and being offered a Ford Mondeo to replace it.

If they cannot offer you something that is 45" exactly, French and well reviewed then how can it be like for like? Therefore you and I agree that he can argue that they are breaking the spirit of the law.

15. nevtra

nevtra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to everyone for the comments

IMO the guy who mentioned the parrot sketch hit the nail on the head, the manager got back to me and said that the sammy 46 was out of stock and the best he could do was the display model, of coarse i said no. I then said have you any stock of the lg 44", again no. I said i now wanted a refund and he checked stock again and found a sammy at ST Helens store, i drove 50miles round trip and picked it up hopeing that this was the end to things. When we put the set on there was a big black mark inside the screen(i'm cursed).
    Anyway rang the guy today and said, i want a refund, he said that only head office could authorise that, then he rang back and said that an engineer would call and if he agrees that its faulty then i can keeep the marked samsung and he'll exchange it when the new sagem is in stock in three weeks.

I'm ok with this as i see it as the best option, oh, and i take back my earlier comments to some extent as the guy has really tried and i reckon he's "under orders" so to speak.

Now here's something interesting regarding rights, when i found the replacement sammy was faulty i rang consumer direct, went through the story and they said that they thought that i had covered all the legislative bases so to speak in that i let them try and repair, was willing to accept an alternative, which they couldnt supply(interestingly they said that if the same model wasn't available i was entitled to a refund, pro rata that is, at that point anyway, even after 3 months).

If your having any trouble i would really recommend consumer direct.

To get back to the sets, the main reason i was agreeable to the managers suggestion was that after having the samsung sp46l6h i can tell u that the sagem is DEFINATELY superior in all respects, the sammy is good but the sagem was awesome.

Once again many thanks for the comments.

16. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +396
    Did oyu try to get the Samsung SP50L7?