1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My disk is degrading

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by keylion, Aug 30, 2004.

1. keylion

keylion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I was watching Pulp Fiction on Friday when about 1/3rd of the way through the film the picture froze and my DVD drive kept repeatedly searching the disk as though it was struggling to read it. I thought there was probably a fingerprint on the disk so it took it out to clean it and found that the top of the disk has lifted away from the plastic.

Is it worth trying to send the disk back (i've had it around a year) or should I just throw it away and buy another one?

KL

Attached Files:

2. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    wow never seen that. In theory a DVD should be able to play forever, but thats rarely ever true. It would be easyer and cheaper probably to buy a new version/disk (or wait for HD-DVD/Blu Ray rerelease) than to try and get it repaired or exchanged from the makers.

Its the same story as the lightbulb.
    They have the technology to make everlasting bulbs, but if they did, they wouldnt be able to sell anymore!

3. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Looks like the layers of plastic that are bonded together have become breached. This happens occassionally, often if the adhesive wasn't air tight.

Send it back to the manufacturers. This is a straight forward production fault.

4. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    Apparantly lightblulbs would last much longer if you we didn't keep turning them on and off. It's the constant expansion and contraction that eventually fractures the filiment. That's why they almost always go when you switch on a light rather than when they're just on. I remember there was a bulb that had lasted over 100 years, apparantly as it had never been switched off. It was at the back of the room so if you turned it off you couldn't see your way out. Therefore got left on permemantly. Bit of trivia for you there. :rolleyes: :)

5. William123

William123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I agree with X.O.D. send it back and ask for a replacement, from time to time poor quality control runs have known this to happen, and that one certainly looks bad.

Rob, you don't by any chance work for the council, that's the same comment they fob me off with on numerous occasions I've complained, our streetlighting has burned 24/7 for three years now? :D

6. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Shoes would last forever, if you don't wear them out!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

7. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Laser rot type of thing?