1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My dilemma... Tosh 32 / Philips 32 / or Loewe 32 Spheros

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by MattDJ, Jan 4, 2005.

1. MattDJ

MattDJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Having a hard time with this guys! Has anyone seen ALL three of these screens. Saw the Philips and Toshiba today. Didnt really like the Philips (More to do with size and looks really)... Tosh wasnt bad (showing an Analogue ITV 1) in Robert Sayle (why cant they at least show a dvd!)

Cant seem to find ANY Loewe online prices...

Im pretty sure im gonna get the Panasonic S97 dvd player.
    I have a JVC D-VHS Player (1080i and 720p output).

Found the Tosh for just under £1300 online. Which is good.

Lmk... What you think of each model, especially those who have had a chance to view Hi Def images or the panasonic s97 upscaling...

Thank You in advance.

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi again Matt!

The Loewe's are very hard to find. I tracked one down to Peter Tysons in Carlisle and went down to have a look at it. It's a pretty thing OK and it works nicely, but really its picture isn't that great. The Response rate on the Loewe was noticably sluggish during high speed movement at the beginning of Spiderman and the overall image was a little lacklustre. Still a good TV though - I'm nitpicking.

The Toshiba by all accounts is a super TV for the money. If the budget was tight it gets highly recommended. However, it seems the budget is flexible, and if you are after the best available picture at the moment at a reasonable price then, predictably the ubiquitous Philips 9986 gets the nod.

I've seen what a HD picture looks like on this set and it really is astonishing. Having said that, I suspect that HiDef on any half decent LCD is going to look pretty good compared to the mediocre feed we're suffering at present.

If you do go for the Loewe, please let us know how you get on!

Jimmy

3. MattDJ

MattDJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah... im gonna try and have a look at the loewe on thursday. Not many retailers at all nearby to me (Cambridge). The Philips was very very good. Im not sure i could get used to size tho :)

4. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yeah, Matt, the Philips is a bit Arnie Schwartzenegger, but it is a handsome brute......Unlike Arnie!

Jimmy

5. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Robert something is an online Loewe distributer. But last time I looked, they were more expensive on the options.

If you get a chance to view, make sure contrast and brightness are not set high. They need to be in the 30's and 40's.

BTW. The response of the Loewe is <14ms. So its 1ms slower than the Philips (or less).

I have the Xelos, the only response issues I have had is on a worsecase test disc (DVE) or 200 mph horizontally scrolling credits at the end of Balamory. My 1 year old hasn't even noticed so its no big issue. It may have been an issue with the input selected. It takes a bit of time to get these right and most people leave them in auto mode which isn't optimal.

-Ian

6. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The response time on the Philips is <12ms but, you're right Ian, there's no way I'd notice 14ms as being much slower than the Philips.

The DVD player he was demo-ing with was a Loewe one, and he said it was outputting a progressive picture.....possibly not though. This may explain poor motion response..

Jimmy