1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My 'Dign'gerous day

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by buns, Nov 10, 2002.

1. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Having discovered early on that the forum wasnt happening today.......i decided to rebuild my pc in preparation for the well traveled power supply i hope to get on monday.

So, i undo the screws on my pretty dign case, start to pull it off only for blood to start trickling down the case as i nearly lose my right index finger. After much swearing and bandaging....i get back to the taks and all seems well. So out comes the radeon, then the lead for the lcd.......but oh ****, bot only has the case nearly cut the cable in two, but ive now got blood leaking from the second right hand finger! Now things went well for a while.....as i put it together, i stetch to the back to push the cover on more tightly.....but would you believe it, i now gash both wrists in the process! Altogether apainfull day for me and a profitable one for elastoplast! :D

so a warning if you dont already know it, Dign cases are bl***y dangerous!

oh.....and im sure you wonder what i was trying to do with all of this........ the noise has been a bit much recently, so i decided i needed some sort of sound proofing. So now i have the whole inside of the case lined with rubber carpet underlay..... it looks really cool in fact.....all the little holes are covered and i hope and expect the noise to be dramatically cut down. I'll tel you if that is the case on monday if i get the psu.......i'll also post the pics when the film is developed.

ad

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So you've got one of them 4 mega pixel digital cameras aswell then :D

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    well there was a plan........ but no one bought the stuff which i needed to sell!

Having thought over night about my mod to the case..... the heat may well be a problem...... ovbiously there will be little or no conduction throught the body of the case. I'm only using a 1.2 celeron and not overcolcking or anything......is it going to be cool enough to run with a cpu fan only? or will i need to get a case fan as well to keep the temp down?

ad

4. Thrash

Thrash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Buns, I'm running a P4 2Ghz in my DIGN case with a QuietPC PSU and Zalman flower cooler on the processor at its slowest setting. I'm very impressed by this cooler, was worried when I first got it as it is huge but fits in the DIGN case without a problem.

I disconnected the supplied rear fan as it was too noisy and the system runs fine and is very stable. I did check the processor temperature in the bios when I first built it to check that it was ok with the cooling I had and it appeared to be running pretty cool, i.e. idling not much over 30 degrees.

Hope the fingers are healing :)

5. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You can always try it without.... My experience of case fans is - get a cheapy Evercool and run it at 5V instead of 12V - maybe even a couple - one in, one out. At 5V they're silent - obviously the airflow isn't as great, but I'd think they'd be adequate. I rigged a switch so they run at either 12 or 5 at a flick, so if it's all getting a bit hot, I can up the cooling.

##EDIT## This was posted in parallel to Thrash. Looks like you'll be OK without, but as you have covered a lot of the small holes, you may need a bit. The PSU might extract some hot air though. I'd try without and run a fan speed monitoring util for a bit to see what happens.

6. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Basically, the only ventillation i currently have will be through the small fan on the back of the case, everything else will be covered up. I was always running pretty cool before i did this, i have a (noisy hence the mod.) thermaltake cooler. Hopefully I'll report back with a silent pc without the need for silent components! :D

thanks

ad

7. Thrash

Thrash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Buns, I bought Akasa Pax Mate acoustic absorbant material for my main PC, which has a variable speed Enermax PSU and variable speed Thermaltake chip fan. Even on the slowest settings and with the Pax Mate installed it is still by no means silent.

The HTPC despite not having any sound deadening material is virtually silent. If you want it to run silent I would recomend ditching the sound proofing and get a QuietPC PSU and Zalman cooler. Your airflow would be unrestricted, the system will run cool and best of all run quiet.

The cost of the PSU and chip cooler was about 90 quid, which is not cheap but it does work and work well.

8. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have just purchased an antec true power 550 from another member, it is supposed to be quiet, we will soon see! I tend to think the cpu fan may need replacing.......i thought i had read about some sort of 'heat pipe' cooler somewhere which sounded good.

Are there any applications which would let me monitor the cpu temp whilst windows is running?

ad

9. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Try speedfan - it is also supposed to be able to control fan spped on some motherboards, but I've not bothered with that, just use it to monitor fan speed and temperatures. I'm sure there are others - your motherboard may have come with a util to do it - my old Abit one did.
    I have an Antec 300W PSU, and while it's not silent, it's pretty quiet. The heatpipe jobbies are made by Coolermaster, although I have a feeling that Zalman may have introduced one too. I'm reasonably happy with my Zalman Flower, and had wondered about the Coolermaster heatpipe, but as the Zalman was about the same ££, went for that.

10. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Buns, I can sympathise...I've also got some scars to prove I've recently built a DIGN case! :D

I've put a 60mm Papst fan on intake, & another on exhaust. Intake one required a bit of creative mounting, so to speak, but works ok. Also using Zalman Cu flower cooler and an Antec TruPower330w. Temp of my Athlon 1ghz under load was around 49 degress, which was higher than I expected. Installed CPUIdle last night & temp is now down around 41 degrees under load. CPUIdle appears to have no effect on playback, so I'm well chuffed.

11. iwilson

iwilson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Buns I´m using the same processor as you. I think I posted on the DIGN thread what I did.

But again. You can remove the CPU fan entirely. Buy or build a speed controller with a thermistor for the two fans on the case. Turn the one closest to the CPU around so it´s blowing in. Built a little duct from the fan to the top of the CPU. Adjust the speed controller till the CPU is running at whatever temp you feel comfortable with. Mine runs at 40C - could let it run a lot hotter but at 40C the fans are turning slowly enough to be inaudible. There is no reason to waste money on Zalman´s or anything else. You will get change out of a tenner and have less noise to boot.

Picture of finished product.

[​IMG]

Ian