1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My dialogue/centre channel is alway's lost in the mix ??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Boozyuzi, May 31, 2004.

1. Boozyuzi

Boozyuzi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Here's what I have - Denon 2803, 5 Kef egg's and BK XLS 200 sub.

The big problem that I have is that when the front and back surround speakers spring into life then the dialogue is always lost in the mix. I have it turned up pretty loud to hear the dialogue clearly but when the surround channels start then it is way to loud and then have to turn it down. When I am watching a movie then the volume is always going up and down - very annoying.

My TV is in the corner of the room with the eggs either side of the telly. Should I be turning my centre channel up further (it is allready +2db compared with the L & R eggs). I am guessing that the centre channel is getting lost bacause the front left and right channels are only 3-4 feet apart with the centre in the middle.

I don't want to move the TV.

Anyone got any tips ??

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    For the best results you really should balance the speaker levels with an SPL meter.
    If you don't want to pay for one of these then at least you should balance the speakers by ear. Set the receiver to play the internal test tones and adjust the levels so that all the speakers sound the same to you. This should at least improve your current setup.

Mark.

3. Boozyuzi

Boozyuzi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Thanks for the reply.

As the front left and front right speakers are either side of the TV then I would imagine that the front 3 speakers should be set roughly the same.

However, I am finding that the front left and front right are overpowering the centre channel so therefore I am having to increase the volume of the centre channel. It's not ideal but it's the only thing I can think of to make the centre channel clearer.

Any ideas ??

4. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have posted a number of times about the very same problem. I used to have a 5.1 Kef Egg setup running off a Denon 2802 and was constantly wondering why the dialogue seemed lost in the rest of the soundtrack.
    I tried increasing the level of just the centre speaker, using dolby digital compression, repositioning the centre but in the end I just had to accept that the Kef Eggs make absolutley :censored: centre speakers! They are fine for everything else but just can't cut the mustard for dialogue, I ended up upgrading my front 3 Eggs for Q1's and a Q9c centre and now its a million times better, punchy, sharp dialogue.. :thumbsup:
    My recommendation would be to upgrade your centre, simple as that..

Cheers

Ryan

5. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    You may also want to try setting your Dynamic Range Control to medium (if it’s set to max at the moment). This will ensure that the sound level is more balanced for low volume listening. It lowers the high volume peaks you often get in movies for surround effects.

6. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thats what I meant "dynamic range" control, its sometimes called compression. It can help a bit but you shouldn't need to use it and certainly not when listening to movies loud..

7. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Agreed - it is a bit of a compromise - personally I have found setting the system up with a SPL meter makes a big difference, the tendency is always to run the surrounds a bit hot when you do it be ear. I set up a friends set of Kef Eggs and he is now very happy with them. SPL meter are only £20-30 quid from Maplins (if that).

8. Cameron

Cameron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i too had the kef 2005.1 eggs. I ended up changing my front 3 for Quads (12L & CenterL) and now i have great stereo sound, a center chanel I can actually hear (!!) and 4 excellant surround speakers (Kef 2005.1)

CaM

9. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think thats a bit of a running theme, people get the Egg setup because its easy on the eye and wallet, but then end up upgrading the front 3, I would have used the left over Eggs for a rear 2 (7.1) but didn't have any space. I did get £175 for my spare 3 which went towards the upgrade..

The Eggs make excellent surrounds, ok front left & right, and crap centres..

10. Boozyuzi

Boozyuzi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Ok, thanks for the replies.

I will try adjusting the "dynamic range" or compression settings (if I can find them) on my amp later today to see if it helps.

Maybe the next step will be to buy a Kef Q6c centre speaker and either selling an egg or using it as a centre rear.

11. Cameron

Cameron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there, I think replacing the front 3 (when money permits of course) will give the best results, it 'sounds' like you are just starting to out grow your speakers thats all :)

don't limit yourself to only kefs though with regards to your center/l&r. Another kef center is not really going to match your other kef2005.1's on the front any better than a different brand would imho.

My kef2005.1 make great surrounds btw :)

CaM

12. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you want to have a tonally balanced sound you will definitely want to stick with Kef especially if you only upgrade your centre, the Eggs use the UniQ tech which is also used in the better Kef range and so this will help keep the sound the same across the front.
    If you upgrade the whole front 3 then keeping to the same brand becomes less of an issue as you probably wont notice the difference in sound between the front and surrounds any where near as much..