• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

my dfi t3eh6 x58, ram issue

azlink

with windows 7 64 installed on my pc, the system properties show that only 4gb out of the 6gb installed is usable ? however cpuz shows 6 gb, and also memcheck has pulled up no problems with the ram?
is it the operating system or is it my motherboard? if anybody could shed a light upon this it would be great. the ram works fine in my dads p6t x58 board?
the ram also worked as it should for about 5 or 6 months its corsair xms3 3 x 2 gb pc3 12800 - 1600mhz

Clav

Edit - I totally misread your post and assumed you had Windows 32-bit installed.

What graphics card do you have? If it is some sort of onboard or lower-spec card it will steal system memory to use as graphics memory.

azlink

Edit - I totally misread your post and assumed you had Windows 32-bit installed.

What graphics card do you have? If it is some sort of onboard or lower-spec card it will steal system memory to use as graphics memory.

I am using a nvidia gtx 480, it has 1536 mb of ram so shouldn't need to be using elsewhaere
cpu'z shows up the full 6gb i have installed but it's the windows system properties that shows 6gb (4gb usable)
i will take a screenshot of it to show you

azlink

here is a screenshot of the system properties

Attachments

• system properties.PNG
    system properties.PNG
    69.1 KB · Views: 41

Clav

Couple of things to try, goto start and type msconfig and go to boot tab and then the advanced button. Make sure the Maximum memory box is unticked.

Also go into your bios and try and find an option to enable PAE or Physical Address Extension. Also anything that refers to Memory mapping.

azlink

i tried those things, but had no joy, the only way i can get the whole 6gb to read/work is to drop the voltage and take them from 1600mhz down to 1170mhz - strange ? the ram is supposed to work @ 1600mhz standard xms3 drr3 pc3-12800 . every time i up the voltage or the speed past 1.56v or past 1170mhz the bios and the os only reads 4gb as usable?
I got a feeling that something is faulty here?

azlink

i tried those things, but had no joy, the only way i can get the whole 6gb to read/work is to drop the voltage and take them from 1600mhz down to 1170mhz - strange ? the ram is supposed to work @ 1600mhz standard xms3 drr3 pc3-12800 . every time i up the voltage or the speed past 1.56v or past 1170mhz the bios and the os only reads 4gb as usable?
I got a feeling that something is faulty here?
maybe voltage regulators or something similar?

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom