My design, Anyone else want one???

Discussion in 'AV Stands, Cabinets, Seating & Furniture' started by jimbowley, Oct 25, 2004.

1. jimbowley

jimbowley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having just designed my rack and mount for my soon to arrive plasma I couldn't help wondering if I could maybe make them and sell them. The prototype isn't started yet, but here's the idea:

The equipment rack is an enclosed design from MDF. Fully customisable height and width and shelf depth. There is a 'false back' to the shelves, the wires push through self sealing apertures (eg brushes) and are looped and hung on hooks in the space behind the false back. Power distibution sockets can be mounted here as well. All cabling etc is thus hidden from side view. Finish would probably be unpainted. Everything could be pre-drilled to your spec (number and height of shelves) or left for customer to decide shelf positions later.

OK, not too exciting so far. Now comes the optional 'Plasma pole' (tm) This is a 100mm diameter tube which slots into the rack. Your plasma is mounted from the tube at a height above the top surface of the rack. The tube allows swivel, and the bracketry allows some tilt adjust. Wires run down the tube, so from the front the tube is the only thing you see between stand and Plasma.

What do you reckon, could I sell them? How much would you pay? Obviously this will make more sense when I post a picture, but you never know - I might get a pre-order!

Main drawback I can see is the lack of style that painted MDF has, but I'm sure I could make it from other materials as well > Distressed pine anyone?

Jim

I'm thinking £120 odd for the rack, and £180 odd for the Plasma tube (depending on tube costs!). Does that sound a lot? If people are willing to pay £120 for two bits of pressed steel it looks like a bargain to me!

2. Vinesh

Vinesh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    any pics or sketches?

3. jimbowley

jimbowley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This was one of many ideas that I have had. But it has been canned > the tube was expensive and anyway I'm now on a totally different room layout.

4. Mat-Moo

Mat-Moo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    What tube where you looking at? I would of thought some plastic tubing (thich under ground stuff) would be good enough. TBH 50mm with 3mm wall should hold it.