My Denon is Dead!!

P

Porrm

My wife powered up our Denon 1601 this morning to watch Gangs of New York and at the point where the speakers usually switch on it made a loud popping noise and switched itself off.

She waited a while and switched it back on again but it gets as far as the same point and then powers down again with the standby light flashing!

This amp is now about four years old so it's well out of warrenty. We rang Denon and they said that if we pay to ship it off to them they will have a look at it but they did not say how much this will cost!

I don't fancy paying some dodgy repair shop to have a look at it only for it to pack in again!

Has anyone had similar problems?

Should I just buy a new AVR 1803?

What's the difference between that and the AVR 1603?

Questions Questions Questions! Help:rolleyes:

If you really want your unit to be fixed asking Denon for a fixed price, return postage etc is a MUST! Otherwise they'll charge whatever they like.

I would first go to a local repair shop.

If it's beyond repair or unworthwhile (fixed charge for labour and repairing price is almost the cost of a new amp) I would just buy a new one.. you'll get newer sound formats to boot.

I had a similar prob with my 1800, it was caused by stray speaker wires shorting the denon out and sending it into stand by mode.

The Denon had just been moved, during cleaning and teh wires stretched, I am sure you can imagine the situation.

I would undoing all the speaker connections and putting them all back into place again, very carefully.

My Denon never gets cleaned now!!

Thanks for that!

I've just rang my wife and she's checked all of the speaker and other connection and they are all in place!

Shame though that would have been a nice easy solution!

Does anyone know any good cheapish high street retailers in the Durham, Sunderland or Newcastle areas?

If you had the choice would you go for the Denon 1803 or the 1603?

Cheers.

sorry just to save confusion, it was strands from a cable not a complete cable, that were shorting.

And of course when you take it out to look they move and don't "short", push it back into place and low and behold they touched again....

I took it to the shop and they guessed immediately what the problem was.

I unconnected, cut new ends onto the cables, twisted them nice and tight, snipped any strays and re-inserted, no probs since then.

Gave her a ring back and got her to disconnect the wires altogether but it still shuts down!

Nevr mind it was worth a try!:confused:

le concepts in the metrocentre ,are the cheapest
and will beat online prices

I can recommend the Denon AVR1803 as a descent performing (and so far - 6 months of HARD usage), reliable receiver.

Main advantage over the 1603 is the superior build quality, 6.1 capability and meatier power amp channels. Sonics of the two are pretty similar but when you consider that http://www.hifibitz.co.uk are advertising the AVR1803 for as little as (i think) £230 it renders the 1603 rather futile.

Originally posted by Dimmy
http://www.hifibitz.co.uk are advertising the AVR1803 for as little as (i think) £230 it renders the 1603 rather futile.

I think this is an ex dem price.

A friend got one of these last week from AVLAND for £220.
Delivered next day, pretty good service ;-)

Fantastic sound for the price.

My Denon 1602 died earlier in the year - similar symptoms as yours except it didn't even get as far as making the speakers pop (no blue display, nothing).

My local Denon repair shop charged about 30 quid for an inspection and diagnosed it as a blown main transformer, cost £180. I've now got a Denon 3803 which I'm really happy with and should prove to be a bit more party-proof than the 1602!

I'd go for a new one if I was you.

I'm going to ask my local repair shop how much they charge to look at it and if it's too much I may well buy a new 1803 from discount electrical they have them for £218 delivered!!

I got my AE100 from them and I was impressed by the service so they may as well have my custom again!!

Cheers for all the replies!

It's sods law that this thing blew up on the same day that all of my new DVD's arrived!!! Grrrrrrr:suicide:

Tried in vain to remember to take my Denon to the local dealer but then tonight my finger accidently slipped and bought a new 1803 from discount electrical!!

Wooohoo I hope it comes for the weekend!

We could be back in business by Saturday night:clap:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom