My Denon is bricked, need advice on a new receiver

Mobuchu

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hey all, would really love some help in finding a new receiver as this was unexpected.

My Denon x1300w is stuck in the dreaded "Update Retry > > >" loop. Denon support has been extremely disappointing, to the point that I don't think I will be buying from them again. And I can't find a file to put on a USB, so, it's time to start over.

I just moved into our new home after 6 months of renovations and was really looking forward to cranking this up again. I have a 5.1 system: JBL Studio 235c, pair of Studio 230's up front, and a pair of Arena 120's in back. My Sub is an SVS PB12-NSD. 65" LG OLED. I don't do any gaming, this is mainly going to be for movies, shows, and occasionally music.

I also mention the renovation above because my budget is very tight! This was not supposed to be one of my purchases, so would really like to keep it under $700, $500 would make me feel even better but I know thats pushing it. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, especially if its something other then Denon. :(

If it helps, my LR is 12ft wide by 17ft deep. Hardwoods. There is a large window on the right side, and the left side opens into the kitchen, so not ideal for acoustics, but it's what I have to work with. I'll attach my very crude drawing, lol. X is my listening position.

Attachments

• LR speaker setup.png
    LR speaker setup.png
    60.5 KB · Views: 84
I'm not familiar with your scenario, so please forgive me if I am repeating the obvious, but, wouldn't a factory reset be your best option?

If not, then although the used market is pricier than normal, you might find everything you need, and perhaps better, looking at used?

For reference: The Update Retry > > > loop is whereby the firmware update process is disrupted before completetion. This unfortunately can result in Denon or Marantz models getting stuck in a "Update Retry > > >" loop that a user cannot get out of. The only resolution to this loop would to to have a Denon or Marantxz service centre flash the units BIOS. While this should resolve the loop issue, there are cases where even this hasn;'t fixed the issue.

Sound United are not helping by no longer giving owners an option to dowload firmware updates to apply via USB sticks and now only facilitate firmware revisions via a receiver's own connection to the internet. This does unfortunately lead to more cases of the update being interrupted.

It is sometimes suggested that you can resolve the loop issue by first performing a factory reset of the AV receiver and then connecting it to your network via a wired ethernet connection as opposed to using wifi. The update will in some instances ne successfully instogated by this and manages to uopdate the unit to completion.

I guess the most obvious alternative to Denon or Marantz would be a Yamaha AVR at this price point. Yamaha also still allow their users to download firmware updates as well as facilitating them via a receiver's own internet connection.

I've owned both Denon and Yamaha models and while I've had both network issues and issues associated with firmware revisions with Denon, I've never experienced similar issues with Yamaha.

Last edited:
Yeah, like Dante said, mine won't even do a factory reset now. My unit was hardwired and this still happened. I'm a bit pissed because the AVR was working fine, and now is useless after Denon performed an update. My unit is 6 months past warranty, so I have to pay $65 for a diagnosis, and that's before whatever the service center would charge for the fix. All while they've taken away the option of updating the firmware via USB. Denon won't help me out at all after 3 phone calls. Really tough for me to give that company anymore of my money.

Any specific models of Yamaha I should be looking at for my situation?

Any specific models of Yamaha I should be looking at for my situation?
Your budget would basically restrict you to the entry level RXV models. The current models in this range are the RX-V4A and the RX-V6A. The former of those 2 is only a 5 channel model while the later is a 7.1 model with Atmos and DTS:X.

Ok, thanks Dante, appreciate the info. In normal times I'd spend a month researching this and getting the best deal, but with the reno, move, and all that comes with it this is way down my priority list!

On a side note, you can get what is basically the RX-V6 model cheaper if you are in the USA and buy a TSR-700 from Costco. You'd need to be a Costco member in order to be able to buy one from them though.

Putting my legal hat on.

If the bricking was specifically caused by a manufacturer-provided software update then you have a legal right of redress whether it is out of warranty or not.

Putting my legal hat on.

If the bricking was specifically caused by a manufacturer-provided software update then you have a legal right of redress whether it is out of warranty or not.
Oh, I went through this with them, twice, and they refused to budge! They just kept coming back to "its out of warranty, we can't do anything". What's worse is that they won't send a firmware file for a USB just to see if it will work. Unethical..

I went with a Yamaha, Denon won't get anymore of my money.

Oh, I went through this with them, twice, and they refused to budge! They just kept coming back to "its out of warranty, we can't do anything". What's worse is that they won't send a firmware file for a USB just to see if it will work. Unethical..

I went with a Yamaha, Denon won't get anymore of my money.

I suggest you put it in writing and threaten a claim in the small claims court.

If a manufacturer bricked a piece of kit I had bought from them with their own firmware update, I can assure you, they would be paying to replace it!

Hey all, would really love some help in finding a new receiver as this was unexpected.

My Denon x1300w is stuck in the dreaded "Update Retry > > >" loop. Denon support has been extremely disappointing, to the point that I don't think I will be buying from them again. And I can't find a file to put on a USB, so, it's time to start over.

I just moved into our new home after 6 months of renovations and was really looking forward to cranking this up again. I have a 5.1 system: JBL Studio 235c, pair of Studio 230's up front, and a pair of Arena 120's in back. My Sub is an SVS PB12-NSD. 65" LG OLED. I don't do any gaming, this is mainly going to be for movies, shows, and occasionally music.

I also mention the renovation above because my budget is very tight! This was not supposed to be one of my purchases, so would really like to keep it under $700, $500 would make me feel even better but I know thats pushing it. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, especially if its something other then Denon. :(

If it helps, my LR is 12ft wide by 17ft deep. Hardwoods. There is a large window on the right side, and the left side opens into the kitchen, so not ideal for acoustics, but it's what I have to work with. I'll attach my very crude drawing, lol. X is my listening position.

hey...

did u solve ur pb..?

For reference: The Update Retry > > > loop is whereby the firmware update process is disrupted before completetion. This unfortunately can result in Denon or Marantz models getting stuck in a "Update Retry > > >" loop that a user cannot get out of. The only resolution to this loop would to to have a Denon or Marantxz service centre flash the units BIOS. While this should resolve the loop issue, there are cases where even this hasn;'t fixed the issue.

Sound United are not helping by no longer giving owners an option to dowload firmware updates to apply via USB sticks and now only facilitate firmware revisions via a receiver's own connection to the internet. This does unfortunately lead to more cases of the update being interrupted.

It is sometimes suggested that you can resolve the loop issue by first performing a factory reset of the AV receiver and then connecting it to your network via a wired ethernet connection as opposed to using wifi. The update will in some instances ne successfully instogated by this and manages to uopdate the unit to completion.

I guess the most obvious alternative to Denon or Marantz would be a Yamaha AVR at this price point. Yamaha also still allow their users to download firmware updates as well as facilitating them via a receiver's own internet connection.

I've owned both Denon and Yamaha models and while I've had both network issues and issues associated with firmware revisions with Denon, I've never experienced similar issues with Yamaha.
hey..
u mean eeprom pragramming..? can we repair this without sending the local service center..? because Denon directing to me local service center...and service cost is half money of av receiver..

The BIOS is basically the core programing for the chopset held in the receiver's static memory. This can be erased and or replaced, but only if you take the receiver to a service centre for them to do it.

I seriously doubt that the service centre would charge you as much as you suggest?

The BIOS is basically the core programing for the chopset held in the receiver's static memory. This can be erased and or replaced, but only if you take the receiver to a service centre for them to do it.

I seriously doubt that the service centre would charge you as much as you suggest?
thanx alot for ur reply..
if we have the USB update firmware i think we can solve the pb..because i can jump to USBAllUpdate mode.. believe me pls they r really asking for 150 euros for reflashing it.. i can send the e-mail which comes from techinician.. :( :(

i will not never buy any denon product again.. even it is not my fault too..there r many users like me..

can we hard resetting the BIOS (or device) with jumper..? because device is not enter to hard reset mode by key combination.. do u have any knowledge about it..? like mainboard Cmos resetting by jumper..?

I suggest you put it in writing and threaten a claim in the small claims court.

If a manufacturer bricked a piece of kit I had bought from them with their own firmware update, I can assure you, they would be paying to replace it!
this is the good option.. i will try this.. it is not our mistakes..

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom