1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Denon DVD 700 arrived

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by garrad, Aug 18, 2003.

1. garrad

garrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all,
    My Denon DVD 700 arrived and what a tiny unit it is. This is only a short look at it for now and I will post a more detailed thread in a week when I get my whole setup back up and running.

So what can I say, first of all it is a sexy unit. Looks like the rest of Denon's line so its going to fit right in place. It's a half depth unit around 20cm in depth around the same size as a sky digi box.

First thing I tried out was the multi region patch direct from Denon. My unit came with this already applied and came under warranty. I've tried RCE Region 1 discs and Region 2 discs, all play fine, so the region patch worked perfectly.

Next picture quality, ok I can't test this perfectly because my good cables are packed away, but it looks good. The colours are bright and crisp. Though there was a little image shadowing but I think this was due to the cables, will know later when its all hooked up.

Menus navigate fine, there is a small pause of around 1/2 a second before the next screen would appear but nothing out of the norm. To be honist slightly faster than my dead Loewe Xemix.

Next of all is the layer change. Again this has has a small pause of around 1/2 a second, but its not bad.

I've got a load of SVCDs and it plays them all which my Loewe wouldn't even attempt to touch.

So things to still test are: High Quality video cable, digital out, WMA cd's. (don't touch MP3, I own all my cd's and I make my own WMA mix cd's using Windows Media Player).

If you have anything you'd like me to test or look at in closer detail just ask away and i'll see if I can do it.

2. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I'm in the process of trying to find a new system for my parents, and the Denon is one that had cropped up for me to consider :)

I'm pleased your first impressions are good - I hope it lives up to your more long term expectations too :) I'll look forward to reading more of your opinions on it in the future:) :smashin:

If you don't mind me asking - how much did you pay for the unit?

K.

3. davidcotton

davidcotton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  4. garrad

garrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. Kirk

Kirk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Garrad,

Can you let me know how long it took for delivery please on your order.

I placed my order with avland last night and its good to hear someone else is using them as well.

Cheers,

Kirk

6. garrad

garrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hehe they took 3 weeks, but that was ONLY because they had to wait for the multi region update direct from Denon. After that it was on a 48 hour delivery and arrived before 9am in the morning. Very impressed.

Because they don't usually deliver to Rep. of Ireland they called me up today to see if it arrived ok. Talk about great service.

I would totally recommend them.

7. BLS

BLS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HANG ON!
    Surely one of the key selling points is that the 700 has a buffer for seamless layer changes!
    If there's a half second delay this is a con!

8. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    I've read in other posts on this subject (on this very forum) that the layer change can cause a cache flush. In this case it doesn't matter how much of a buffer you have. If it gets emptied, then you'll get a pause.

9. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I've got it and the seamless layer change does not work!

Am I missing something,else it's going back?

The layer change is the same as all my other DVD players I've had.

10. Barry Bingham

Barry Bingham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Garrad, are you able to test the jpeg picture viewing facility? Is it painfully slow or reasonably quick? Does it take jpegs on CD-R and CD-RW?

Be interested to know as I'm in the market for a second (jpeg-capable, component out deck) to complement my existing Denon ADV700 after bad experience with Tosh 330. Down to the Denon or the Panny S75.

11. garrad

garrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll check it out. I'm moving my tv tonight to the new house so when its set up i'll have a look. I'll try tonight but could be tomorrow.

Also i'm going to try WMA support (thinking that might fail for me as all my cd's i encoded using WMA9 and I think its WMA8 only).

One thing I won't try is MP3, sorry guys if you were curious. I hate them, can't stand the format and refuse to touch them.

12. garrad

garrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok to add to my thread. I set up my TV and amp again so everything is looking good.

My highquality SCART cable produced a perfect picture with no image shadowing. (Damn cheap cables).

The main part to this addon though is the remote control review here. It sucks. It is such a bad remote. Now I'm not going to go as far as saying its like a £60 player's remote, but it does suck.
    The angle of the remote is tiny, I was thinking of putting a laser pointer stuck to the end of it so I could make sure I was pointing it at the DVD player. The buttons feel unresonsive and I had to press them twice a lot of the time.
    The cursor when it was working felt strange, it wasn't in the right place with the balance of the remote. I had to stretch my fingers to reach the top arrow and had to bend it strange to press the enter button.
    The same for the placement of the movement buttons. Next track and Previous track are badly placed too and the play button is a big risk to the stop button.

But in saying all that I don't really care, I have a Philips Pronto and will set that up later in the week.

13. BLS

BLS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes that's what I thought. Isn't there something in the DVD spec that says the buffer should be emptied during the layer change?

So are Denon lying when they claim that there buffer gives seamless changes? ..and what about the 2900? I have heard people claim seamless changes on that. Are they mistaken or will it work for certain discs?

14. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I have the 2900 and played around 10-15 disks on it, before i took it back (it started freezing on one of my R4 disks, and would not lock on to the format)...i never once had that very,very annoying (IMO) layer change...it deff works on the 2900.
    I tend to get a bit distracted with the layer change, but apart from the 1 disk freezing, i was totally there (in film heaven) with the others.

15. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I'm with you on that one,it's the one thing that spoils DVD for me.

£400-£700 is a lot of money to me to spend on a DVD player for a seamless layer change,if it works.

Is there a cheaper one that's guaranteed to work?