My dedicated HC room - now a batcave! *7.2.4 Atmos installed*

True Romance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right before we go any further can I just pass on a massive thanks to all the members that have taken the time and effort to post their HC rooms on here. You guys gave me inspiration and some fantasic ideas, I couldn't possible list all that helped as the list would be far to long. Once again many, many thanks :smashin:

Okay long time member but only now getting around to posting photo's of my HC room :blush:. Have just blacked out the first meter around the screen using a combination of Devore and velvet curtains. Make a big diffence to PQ :smashin: The screen is 2.8m across, the wide angle lens makes it look smaller.

Kept my old plasma for xbox/kinect use as my nipper plays on it with her mates so didn't want them keep turning the PJ on and of.

Thanks,
TR.

*edit* I'm now in the process of turning my room into a batcave (well 3/4 of it anyway), please scroll down to see updates.

*edit* Batcave now complete, before and after shot below:-

before:-

IMG_0968.jpg

after:-

IMG_1081.jpg

rear of room stayed the same

IMG_0976.jpg

Now with new sofa

IMG_1084.jpg

Now with 3.1m AT screen

ATscreen1_zps9677e9df.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good mate.

What speakers are you using as I can't see them in your sig?

lol.... cheap acoustic solutions eltax, had them a while but they will be next on the list of upgrades. New PJ first, got a Epson TW6000 on order. Hopefully by Christmas time will be looking for some MK's.

Last edited:
You certainly can't go wrong with the MK's.

Give Al at Ideal AV a shout as he's the man for MK stuff.

You certainly can't go wrong with the MK's.

Give Al at Ideal AV a shout as he's the man for MK stuff.

Right for a short term measure I was looking at getting the Tannoy HTS101 5.1 setup, mainly as I would really like some black speakers. These will be for a round 8-12 months until I can get some Mk (hopefully). Do you think they would be okay or could you recommend some other speakers as you seem to be the man in the know ;)

Did post a thread in the "what speakers should I get" section but no replies as yet.

If its only going to be a temporary measure I'd be more inclined to look at something like this mate...

Boston SOUNDWARE XS SE Black | 5.1 Speaker Package | Richer Sounds

I've not heard the Tannoy's so not in a position to comment on how they sound but have listened to the Boston's being driven off a little Denon 1910 amp and they sounded very good indeed.

They should certainly last you until you're ready to go down the MK route and for £220 shouldn't break the bank.

Hope this helps.
Mark

Impressive, very nice, must be pleased

Looks very nice, congrats :smashin:

Thanks guys,

been on a bit of a spending spree over the last few weeks. First blacked out around the screen then I upgraded my speakers for a set of MK's. These in turn led to my new onkyo 818 as my old 605 was just lacking that little bit of punch. Did have two 720p projectors one for 2D and one for 3D but have now sold these and gone with one pj an epson tw6000. Also got a new sofa due in a few weeks, nice electric recliners ;). Not sure how I've managed to get all that lot as I was under strict instructions not to spend any money this year by her in doors....but hell whats the worse that can happen.... :eek:. She doesn't even know about the onkyo, I snuck that one in under the radar! Next task is a new Monolith sub but not sure how I'm going to smuggle that thing inside!!

Great set up you have there:thumbsup:

How big is your screen?

Great set up you have there:thumbsup:

How big is your screen?

Would like to say its bigger than Gecko's.....but sadly not......lol. Its 2.8m wide, the camera's wide angle lens makes it seem much smaller.

You know what....I've been checking out this forum for years..and this one is a cracking room mate.....and I'm guessing your into photography too ? Nice pics....great looking room.

You know what....I've been checking out this forum for years..and this one is a cracking room mate.....and I'm guessing your into photography too ? Nice pics....great looking room.

Thanks you :smashin: Only an amauter in photography though, wish I had more time to really get the most out of my kit.

Looks great - not sure on the view from the sofa though :D

Looks great - not sure on the view from the sofa though :D

Thanks.

Lol..... Yes we ended up with two spare sofa's when we redecorated so put them in my hc room. They do help with sound though :)

Wow love it! Great work! How are you liking the M&Ks? :)

Wow love it! Great work! How are you liking the M&Ks? :)

Cheers :smashin: Yes the mk's are fab, just upgraded to an mk 850 sub so mk's all round now :D

Okay I'm now going "bat cave", well 3/4 of the room anyway. Fist job painting the ceiling. Used wickes "chalky flat matt liquorice" as recomended somewhere on here. Wow great paint, nice and flat absorbs the light really well, not cheap mind.

Got to say just painting the ceiling black as already made a huge diffence to the pj's image :smashin:

Still not sure what to do with the walls, didn't really want to just paint them. Was looking at using fabric cover panels or even black curtains that I could then pull back should we use the room for parties, music, disco's ;), etc.

2012-09-13094533.jpg
2012-09-13110726.jpg

Last edited:
Phase 2 is now under way, gone with side panels covered with fabric. Had a ready supply of old ply panels from work that I've added a frame around to give the panels some depth...

20120915_124958.jpg
20120915_124516.jpg
20120915_134201.jpg

Attachments

• 20120915_124958.jpg
    20120915_124958.jpg
    491.8 KB · Views: 194
  • 20120915_124516.jpg
    20120915_124516.jpg
    392.6 KB · Views: 190
  • 20120915_134201.jpg
    20120915_134201.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
How many panels are you putting on the walls.

I am currently at construction stage and am planning colours of walls/ceilings and just weighing up positives and negatives for going dark vs light.

The room is supposed to be the family room, having kids under the age of 5 also making use of the room as a toy room. So gotta get the balance right between what daddy wants and what is also nice for them too :)

Going to end up with 36 panels. If your room is multi purpose I wouldn't go black, may be dark browns. I was going to use black curtains that could be pulled open when the room was used for anything other than movies but went with fixed panels in the end has my room is only for watching movies.

are some panels dark blue or is it just the nap going a different way?

are some panels dark blue or is it just the nap going a different way?

All the panels are black. I've used two types fabric to give a chess board effect. The camera flash as made them look blue.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom