My dedicated HC room - now a batcave! *7.2.4 Atmos installed*

Thank you. Anything is possible when you put your mind to it. Most of my kit was purchased on a relative shoe string, mainly second hand or end of line products and B&Q weed surpressent ;). Even very small rooms can be made into a HC.

Thank you. Anything is possible when you put your mind to it. Most of my kit was purchased on a relative shoe string, mainly second hand or end of line products and B&Q weed surpressent ;). Even very small rooms can be made into a HC.

It certainly is mate. I've been on a steady but addictive equipment upgrade path for the last 8 months...!! I'm afraid one thing just led to another and before you know it.....money starts to evaporate very quickly i'll tell ya....!! :D. Mind you it was a mix of second hand and new....so some restraint was exercised....!! ;).
The latest is happening soon when i'll be saying bye bye to my projector in favour of a lovely new model...!!:clap:. The only thing letting my room down at the moment is the decor.....but thanks to others and yourself....that might be changing hopefully. The forum can be a really good source for inspiration looking at other members ideas and results......encouraging me to spend more.....naturally...!!! :laugh:

They look like completely different sized rooms before and after, It looks a lot more spacious all blacked out, nice setup :thumbsup:

Hi Neil,

Thought I'd pop in to see your thread, what a great build! Your room looks great, like many others, love your checkerboard wall panels :cool: You kept quiet about the French Cleat for quite a few pages! lol

Still undecided here about the fixing method, Rob's put the fear into me about guests or kids leaning on the fabric...which is a fair point, I don't want to be too precious about telling everyone to stay away from the front wall...o_O May go the surface mounted MDF route and attach it using "Button fix"ers.

Next project starts......

Well I'm just starting my Atmos/DTS:X upgrade ready for when the new AVR are released. The plan is to use 4 M&K K4 Tripole speakers fixed onto the ceiling for Atmos/DTS:X use. Have made some timber wedges that I will fix to the ceiling and then feed speaker cable through. Will attach the speakers onto the wedges that will then be angled towards to seating position.

Timber wedge with cut out for speaker cable.
20150902_151305.jpg

Wrapping in black-out fabric (weed suppressor).
20150902_151705.jpg

All covered.
20150902_152018.jpg

Just waiting for speaker cable to arrive I can they fix the timber wedges and speakers to the ceiling all ready for my new AVR.

Attachments

• 20150902_151305.jpg
    20150902_151305.jpg
    752.5 KB · Views: 186
As usual you're one step ahead of me Neil: I'm just looking into AT screens, then the Atmos bit will come later, though I don't mind you being a trailblazer for me. ;)

I was hoping to just hang the K4s from high up on the side walls (maybe angle on a bit of MDF if need be) since mine will be hidden inside an AT pelmet. I'm intrigued to see how these wedges fit and what sort of angle you'll end up with for the K4s. You've certainly got your money's worth out of the weed suppressor fabric. :)

So started to fix my Atmos/DTS:X speaker wedges in place yesterday. Tried to take some photo's but has the room is so dark its difficult to get a shot that shows what I'm trying to do. Once they were fixed in place with the lights of and just the PJ on there hardly visible so thats worked out well.

Rear ceiling postion.
20150903_145748.jpg

Front ceiling postion.
20150903_151803.jpg

First speaker in place.
20150903_194207.jpg

Will fix remaining speakers today and then its already for when my new AVR arrives sometime next month.

Attachments

• 20150903_145748.jpg
    20150903_145748.jpg
    521.9 KB · Views: 362
New AVR installed, went with a Denon 7200WA in the end and it sounds awesome. Will try and get some better photos up of all four ceiling speakers. Expensive upgrade (for me anyway) but so far seems worth every penny.

Looking good. May I ask what distance and angle (between the vertical plane above the listening position and the Atmos speaker, if you follow what I means) you went for? Equidistant back and front from the sofa? Thanks.

Difficult one to answer really. I didn't measure or work out angles. The speakers are placed two just behind the seating position and two in front of the seating position. Both are line with the front left and right speakers. At a guess the timber wedges I made probably have a 10-15 degree angle. As I'm using tripole speakers for Atmos don't think the speaker position is that critical. Trust me there was no sience involved just trial and error.

Unfortunately I couldn't align my 1st pair of in-ceiling speakers (which will become the rear Atmos pair) with the Fronts because of the positions of the joists, but they're not massively far off, and whilst it will be more noticeable when I install the front in-ceiling pair, it would look odder to try to bring the fronts in line. Doesn't sound like it will matter very much at all, thanks for letting me know. I've only got two possible options for the distance the front pair will be from the sofa (bearing in mind I could move the sofa forward or back a few inches), one a fair bit closer to the distance the rear pair is from the sofa, the other a fair bit farther, and not sure which one to pick (and cut the holes).

@mcspongy From what I've heard in my room and at other venues (dealer demo rooms) I don't think it makes a great deal of difference imo if your ceiling speakers are not exactly where Dolby recommend.

I paid Neil a visit today to see a few upgrades since I was last in his theatre probably about a year ago.

As soon as I walked in I could see that the screen was bigger than last time as Neil has made it wider and brought it forward a bit to accommodate his two subs behind the AT screen.

The image now is HUGE:D and looks fab although a tad less sharp which I think can be sorted with the addition of a Darbee which I believe Neil is trying to source (anyone out there got one for sale).

I had gone over mainly to hear Neil's new Atmos setup which has been described on here already. I have heard a couple of dealer setups but it is always nice to see how they have worked out in folk's own HT setups.

Neil has done a great job here in putting in the two sets of K4's and by the sound of it positioning of and the MK K4's speakers work very well indeed.

We spent a couple of hours listening and watching a host of Atmos encoded movies including Unbroken/Mad Max/Gravity & also a few non Atmos films to see how good the upmixer was.

The Atmos ecoded films were easily better than standard vanilla DTS MA with regards to the front soundstage and fully enveloping 360 degree seamless sound bubble.

Without Atmos or the upmixer selected the front soundstage almost collapsed to the physical size constraints of the screen but when engaged the whole image became more alive and believable as the soundstage expanded well beyond the screen boundaries, above to the left and right and behind our listening position.

Needless to say I shall be looking to add an Atmos/DTS X enabled receiver in the next few months as this is certainly the future for anyone that wants a more involving film or musical experience as it is a far more immersive event.

Thanks Neil I had a blast and when I get my avr you will have to pop round for a listen.

Have now replaced my LCR speaker with XTZ M6's. Make a absolutely massive improvement to the front sound stage.
Sorry no pic's of the speaker in place as there behind my screen.

20151105_111114.jpg 20151105_105440.jpg

Looks superb. Since I had my gorgeous daughter I've avoided for a while now coming to this forum, I knew it would kick off ideas. I love your lighting effects on the panels, I've been sitting in my room watching Peppa Pig with the aforementioned daughter and day dreaming I need a nice softer light. Right now it's either stark bright spot lights or total blackness! Are you happy with your lighting? Is it LED strip lights?

Hi mate. The led's are actually decking lights from B&Q that I inserted into a small pelmet. Tbh I hardly ever put them on just when showing my room to mates and family. I like it totally dark :)

This deserves a bump!

Very nice indeed. :thumbsup:

One of my favourite rooms, a great theatre.

I'm also considering upgrading to Atmos this year. I'm assuming you're very pleased with the outcome from an audio point of view?

Thanks for sharing

Thanks guys. @Mr X if you can acomodate the extra speakers Atmos/DTS:X is one of the best upgrades you can do. I'm so impressed with what my little K4t speakers can achieve. Having sound all around and above you certainly makes a difference and really sucks you into the film.

Quick Q if you don't mind.

My AVR does either 7.2 or 5.1.2. Will a couple of ceiling speakers make much difference? All that's above my TV room is unused loft space. I'm currently running 5.1 as space is too tight for rears.

Quick Q if you don't mind.

My AVR does either 7.2 or 5.1.2. Will a couple of ceiling speakers make much difference? All that's above my TV room is unused loft space. I'm currently running 5.1 as space is too tight for rears.
Yes most definitely! Honestly it's well work doing. Even though there are not to many Atoms blu-rays released the upmixing from none atmos discs works really well. You won't be disappointed :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom