• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

My dedicated cinema room

sandhub

Novice Member
This is my new cinema room installed - so grateful to Gecko who have really done a fantastic job. Looks and feels like sitting in a cinema but with the bonus of my own supa comfy sofas. Gecko carried out the complete installation and advised on the room layout and decor. All the family are amazed at the quality.

Equipment installed is :
MK 5.1 MP150 system
Onkyo receiver
Oppo Blue Ray player
JVC Projector
11 foot Seymour tab tensioned screen

This is exactly the same system which was demonstrated to me when i visited the Gecko listening rooms - really please with it.
Tried to upload images but it keeps coming up with an error - even though the upload completes
just comes up with an "the following error occurred" - without an error code.

If the administrator could look into this - i will upload the photo's if it's a privilege / rights issue.

archie2000

Tried to upload images but it keeps coming up with an error - even though the upload completes
just comes up with an "the following error occurred" - without an error code.

If the administrator could look into this - i will upload the photo's if it's a privilege / rights issue.

I've been getting the same problem. I have been using the avforum app on my ipad to upload pics.

Steve413

Distinguished Member
Herbiefish....it was a difficult room to photograph as it's so dark, Sandhub has done a fabulous job with the decorating, it really is a nice room to relax in and enjoy a good movie.....or sport on SkyHD.

Jameskatie

Distinguished Member
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397757511.578474.jpg

Jameskatie

Distinguished Member
Just did that as a test I can upload off phone no probs

Per156GTA

Looking forward to the pictures. What are the room dimensions, as you haven't mentioned?

Cheers

Per

msaa13

Banned
This must sound awesome!

sandhub

Novice Member
Hi Per - the room dimensions are
15 ft width
22 ft length
screen is approximately 13ft from my sofa's. Just watched Oblivion - really amazing.

James i still cannot upload pics - even from my Samsung Galaxy.
Gong to send Rob and Steve at Gecko the pics - to see if they can upload them.
I wish i could talk to the administrator ! Seems like a privilege issue.

Orson

There seems to be a bit of an issue with the file size of images, it's being looked at, but in the meantime, the choice would be to either host the photos elsewhere (i.e. Photobucket etc), or try and compress it to document size in M/S picture manager and then try and re-upload it.

Rob Sinden

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Sanhub has sent me the enclosed pictures of the finished installation.

There’s not much to see, just a big widescreen picture – but that’s exactly what we aim for. If you want to get the most from your movies without being reminded you are in a room surrounded by speakers, we believe this is the way a cinema room should be designed.

The brief on this project was simply the best possible sound and vision given the budget. Gecko designed and installed the system and the client did the preparation of the room himself. This approach ensures the best possible design and product choice and the most affordable installation possible.

The room has a large window behind the motorised screen and another at the rear of the room. The clients’ wife was keen to be able to easily convert the room back to a spare room if the system didn’t prove popular. As such, both windows were blacked out with curtains. This combined with a dark, matt, wall finish create the best possible environment to get the most from the projector.

Below the front window sill, 3 flat MK MP150Mk2’s are fixed to the wall. These speakers have an angled front, so the sound fires up towards ear height at the listening position. The woven acoustically transparent screen drops down in front of all three speakers so the image is low in the room to create the most involving picture. This also means the front three speakers are completely hidden from view when the system is in use.

The rear IW95 speakers were placed in ceiling. Unlike most in wall / in ceiling speakers all MK’s are true satellite speakers. As they are designed solely to reproduce mid and high frequencies, high volume levels and high quality can be achieve with a very compact, affordable speaker.

The off axis response of all MK speakers is something that is paid particular attention to with the design of their “phase focused” crossover. What this means is that the speaker will sound tonally very similar whether you are directly in front of it, or off to one side. This also means that reflected sound off the walls will sound very similar to the direct sound from the speaker. This is one reason complete MK speakers systems are often described as being so enveloping.

The bass for the system was provided by a dual 12” MK MX350THX subwoofer. While a great deal of focus is often put on the output and bass extension of subwoofers, where MK subs excel is in their ability to disappear in the room. Partnered with 5 compact speakers and driven by an affordable Receiver, the whole system sound effortless and enveloping while fitting discretely into the room.

Attachments

• IMG_1484 Low.jpg
    IMG_1484 Low.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 815
  • IMG_1492 Low.jpg
    IMG_1492 Low.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 815
  • IMG_1490 Low.jpg
    IMG_1490 Low.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 778
  • IMG_1505 Low.jpg
    IMG_1505 Low.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 762
  • IMG_1501 Low.jpg
    IMG_1501 Low.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 753
  • IMG_1502 Low.jpg
    IMG_1502 Low.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 757

sandhub

Novice Member
Thanks for uploading these Rob.
On the curtains - they weren't enough to get the complete blackout - so what we did was purchase matt black cloth from a fabric shop with total blackout lining. The two were then sewn together. We made a border with a small wooden dado type rail - from homebase fastened with screws just inside the window sill all round. Onto this we stuck the stick on velcro, with the sow on being attached to the cloth. Then it was easy to attach the cloth to get a total blackout.

With a motorised screen as Rob says - the room can easily be used as a spare - although looking at the finished result - it will only ever be our cinema room. Also maintenance of the front window is easy.

Gecko - (all the staff) were fantastic at the advice they gave which we followed very carefully. They made a preliminary site visit, went away and worked out all the correct configurations as to the layout of the room, and the best system for my budget. They then came back, installed and calibrated the equipment.
Above all they were very patient and supportive throughout.
What i saw and envisaged in their showroom - they created in our very own cinema.

I am biased of course in that - to me i feel like i am at the movies every time i am in my own cinema room - with the comfort of my own sofa's.

Thank you guys.

Steve413

Distinguished Member
Hi Sandhub
How's the system going, are you enjoying it and watching plenty of movies/ Cricket and the World Cup?
Have you also mastered the hard drive with the Oppo?

Let me know if you need anymore film recommendations.....

Per156GTA

Hi Per - the room dimensions are
15 ft width
22 ft length
screen is approximately 13ft from my sofa's. Just watched Oblivion - really amazing.

James i still cannot upload pics - even from my Samsung Galaxy.
Gong to send Rob and Steve at Gecko the pics - to see if they can upload them.
I wish i could talk to the administrator ! Seems like a privilege issue.

Sorry, missed this reply last month. My garage is about 20.5ft x 15ft, so I reckon my finished space might be about 19.25ft x 14.25ft by the time I have built out the walls and dealt with sound proofing etc.. Very nice to see what you have achieved in that space.

Steve413

Distinguished Member
A few more photos of Sandhub's cinema room, sadly I'm no photographer, it's a very dark room and difficult to photograph.

ImageUploadedByAVForums1403728318.927889.jpg
ImageUploadedByAVForums1403728340.410340.jpg
ImageUploadedByAVForums1403728359.342888.jpg

One from behind the seating, one zoomed in on the screen and one of the three MK MP150 Mk2 speakers mounted on the wall with the screen retracted.

Deeez Nuuutz

Distinguished Member
Hi mate, loving the setup. Can I ask what the colour is you used for the walls/ceiling??

I'm doing a similar thing to our spare room, although it's not as spacious as your room being only 12ft x 7ft it'll do for now.

Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom