Quantcast

My dedicated cinema room construction thread

Neil in Bristol

Novice Member
How did you attach the foamalux frames to the ceiling? my plan was to sit them on the MDF shelf that I'm building all around the top of the walls, but i like the fact that you have raised yours up and attached it to the ceiling.
I made a wooden frame to go on the back of the foamalux and just screwed the whole thing to the ceiling joists along each edge. The fabric covers the screws at the edges, so they don't show. There are a couple of screws in the middle for extra stability.

kr1st1an

Standard Member
I made a wooden frame to go on the back of the foamalux and just screwed the whole thing to the ceiling joists along each edge. The fabric covers the screws at the edges, so they don't show. There are a couple of screws in the middle for extra stability.
Thanks Neil, I love what you have done with this room. I was going to use foamalux or black corex but i was going to wrap them taught rather than glue them but this means I will have to come up with another way of fixing rather than screw through the frames into the ceiling.

Last edited by a moderator:

kr1st1an

Standard Member
Since the frames are fairly light, how about using some large hooks and eyes?
Its not a bad idea Neil, my only concern is the frames can twist if they are not fixed in all 4 corners because of there size. I'll come up with something. What mm MDF did you use for the shelf around the ceiling?

Last edited:

Neil in Bristol

Novice Member
Very impressive Neil , regarding the ceiling why didn't you just use matt black foam PVC ? :)
Originally, I intended to make a frame and use the cloth without the foamalux, but I wasn't convinced it would stay taut enough, so the foamalux was 'Plan B'. In any event, I think foamlux is probably too shiny on its own.

That's the one.

how many "stars" do you have
cheers
I bought the 200 kit with white twinkling stars.

Rickyj at Kalibrate

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
I thought I had seen this cinema before, when it appeared in the Xmas edition on Home Cinema Choice, and well done on get 3 pages of coverage. I think that is a first for a readers cinema:)

Richard Fenn

RICKYJ said:
I thought I had seen this cinema before, when it appeared in the Xmas edition on Home Cinema Choice, and well done on get 3 pages of coverage. I think that is a first for a readers cinema:)
You beat me to it. Just spent 10 mins trawling the wrong forum looking for this thread so I could say congrats lol

Cracking HC :)

Gavinbat

Hi,
Got to say it does look fantastic :) Now I better get on with mine!
Cheers,
Gavin :)

rigman

Excellent room Neil

its a pleasure seeing rooms that someone has gone to the effort of having a good design and done their homework on suitable materials and then seeing it all come to fruition.
Mine will be having a refurb soon and I was thinking of finally going for the star ceiling this time. The foam board would make it a much easier thing to do so thanks for that.

DGracey

I have just returned to the forum after a few years break. I just read your thread start to finish. Absolutely fantastic build. Thanks for taking the time to document your progress.

nunoxad

Standard Member
Amazing!! god job :)

Trending threads

Top Bottom