My dedicated cinema room construction thread

Pgrantuk

Standard Member
Hi Neil

Your Cinema looks great, really impressed with the star ceiling. Did you glue the fabric to the foamalux and then drill the holes through the foamalux and fabric or drill the holes in foamalux first and then glue the fabric on and just push the fibre optics through the fabric? Can you let me know where you got the fabric for the ceiling from also?

Thanks

Laudrup1

Hi Neil

Your Cinema looks great, really impressed with the star ceiling. Did you glue the fabric to the foamalux and then drill the holes through the foamalux and fabric or drill the holes in foamalux first and then glue the fabric on and just push the fibre optics through the fabric? Can you let me know where you got the fabric for the ceiling from also?

Thanks
That's a few interesting questions P. I'd like to know this too. Wasn't wanting to pester Neil too much after he answered my questions on the previous page.

Neil in Bristol

Novice Member
Hi Neil

Thanks
Hi. I glued the fabric on first, then drilled the holes.

This is the fabric:
THEATRE BLACKOUT CLOTH | Scenery Cloth & Stage Backdrops

I chose that one mainly because it is 3m wide, to save having a join, but I was pleased with how dark it was, and it's also thick enough that the glue doesn't show through.

Last edited:

Pgrantuk

Standard Member
Thanks for the info Neil, i'm about to embark on a garage conversion and have been impressed by your star ceiling, so considering giving it a go ..... if i'm brave enough! :)

JamesDavison

Thanks for posting where you got the blackout fabric Neil, I was looking for some. Although it is pricey! Pity that site doesn't seem to do small samples. Do you have any small pieces left over? :)

Neil in Bristol

Novice Member
Thanks for posting where you got the blackout fabric Neil, I was looking for some. Although it is pricey! Pity that site doesn't seem to do small samples. Do you have any small pieces left over? :)
Sorry about the delay replying. I've had a quick search in the garage, but it looks like I used the last of the fabric covering the screen edges, I'm afraid.

I think you could get similar fabric cheaper, but perhaps not at those kind of widths.

JamesDavison

Sorry about the delay replying. I've had a quick search in the garage, but it looks like I used the last of the fabric covering the screen edges, I'm afraid.

I think you could get similar fabric cheaper, but perhaps not at those kind of widths.
Ah no worries, thanks for looking :thumbsup:

kr1st1an

Standard Member
Well - it's been a while since I last posted!

We've now painted the room with Dulux Breton Blue on the side walls and the back wall and ceiling 'shelves' with Dulux Urban Obsession (dark grey).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/7148009743/image

Starting to paint the walls

My wife persuaded me to go with the star ceiling idea, which proved to be a major headache, as we don't have access to the roof space.

In the end, I bought a large sheet of Foamlux and screwed a light timber frame to the back. Foamlux is a plastic used for making shop displays etc. and is very strong and light. We covered the Foamlux with a large black stage backdrop cloth (glued on) to make it as matt as possible.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/7001922462/image

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/7001922932/image

Installing the 250 fibre optics took an entire day. I'm pleased with the end result, though.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/7148011203/image

Star ceiling in place, before the edges of the 'shelves' are finished.

I also made a change to the original plan of having no soundproofing. The sound was quite loud in the downstairs hall, so I decided to buy some acoustic sheeting to put under the carpet. It won't stop the sound completely, but it should help a little.

The stuff I chose was called Tecsound, and it's horrible! Very heavy, somewhat sticky on one side and almost impossible to get it to lie flat. I followed the instructions provided by the seller to install it with the fabric scrim facing down, but I'm not sure that was wise, as I now stick to the floor! Nevertheless, it will be covered with carpet and Cloud 9 underlay very soon.

Here's a photo I took today. It's quite sunny here, so the paint on the walls looks a lot lighter than it does when you're in the room.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/7148016967/image

It's been over a year since we moved house, and we haven't watched any films in that time, but the end is in sight! Once the carpet fitter has been, the only major jobs remaining are making the screen masking, deciding how best to cover the window (any ideas?!) and making some kind of radiator cover. And installing all the kit, of course.

I'm leaving acoustic treatments and final decision on projector positioning until the end.
How did you attach the foamalux frames to the ceiling? my plan was to sit them on the MDF shelf that I'm building all around the top of the walls, but i like the fact that you have raised yours up and attached it to the ceiling.

Neil in Bristol

Novice Member
How did you attach the foamalux frames to the ceiling? my plan was to sit them on the MDF shelf that I'm building all around the top of the walls, but i like the fact that you have raised yours up and attached it to the ceiling.
I made a wooden frame to go on the back of the foamalux and just screwed the whole thing to the ceiling joists along each edge. The fabric covers the screws at the edges, so they don't show. There are a couple of screws in the middle for extra stability.

kr1st1an

Standard Member
I made a wooden frame to go on the back of the foamalux and just screwed the whole thing to the ceiling joists along each edge. The fabric covers the screws at the edges, so they don't show. There are a couple of screws in the middle for extra stability.
Thanks Neil, I love what you have done with this room. I was going to use foamalux or black corex but i was going to wrap them taught rather than glue them but this means I will have to come up with another way of fixing rather than screw through the frames into the ceiling.

Last edited by a moderator:

kr1st1an

Standard Member
Since the frames are fairly light, how about using some large hooks and eyes?
Its not a bad idea Neil, my only concern is the frames can twist if they are not fixed in all 4 corners because of there size. I'll come up with something. What mm MDF did you use for the shelf around the ceiling?

Last edited:

Neil in Bristol

Novice Member
Very impressive Neil , regarding the ceiling why didn't you just use matt black foam PVC ? :)
Originally, I intended to make a frame and use the cloth without the foamalux, but I wasn't convinced it would stay taut enough, so the foamalux was 'Plan B'. In any event, I think foamlux is probably too shiny on its own.

That's the one.

how many "stars" do you have
cheers
I bought the 200 kit with white twinkling stars.

Rickyj at Kalibrate

AVForums Sponsor
I thought I had seen this cinema before, when it appeared in the Xmas edition on Home Cinema Choice, and well done on get 3 pages of coverage. I think that is a first for a readers cinema:)

Richard Fenn

RICKYJ said:
I thought I had seen this cinema before, when it appeared in the Xmas edition on Home Cinema Choice, and well done on get 3 pages of coverage. I think that is a first for a readers cinema:)
You beat me to it. Just spent 10 mins trawling the wrong forum looking for this thread so I could say congrats lol

Cracking HC :)

Gavinbat

Hi,
Got to say it does look fantastic :) Now I better get on with mine!
Cheers,
Gavin :)

rigman

Excellent room Neil

its a pleasure seeing rooms that someone has gone to the effort of having a good design and done their homework on suitable materials and then seeing it all come to fruition.
Mine will be having a refurb soon and I was thinking of finally going for the star ceiling this time. The foam board would make it a much easier thing to do so thanks for that.

DGracey

I have just returned to the forum after a few years break. I just read your thread start to finish. Absolutely fantastic build. Thanks for taking the time to document your progress.

nunoxad

Standard Member
Amazing!! god job :)

Trending threads

Latest News

Netflix UK free trials come to an end
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony update brings AirPlay 2 and Dolby Atmos support to select TVs
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cleer FLOW II headphones get Google Assistant