My dedicated cinema room construction thread

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
Looks superb :) Where did you buy the foamlux from, and how did you go about glueing it? Did you manage to get a good finish on it? I assume the foamlux was completely covered in glue?

Neil in Bristol

Looks superb :) Where did you buy the foamlux from, and how did you go about glueing it? Did you manage to get a good finish on it? I assume the foamlux was completely covered in glue?
I got the Foamalux from Robert Horne: Acrylic, Correx, Polycarbonate - Robert Horne Direct. They can cut it for you, too, but a stanley knife also works just as well.

I used Bostik Fast Tak contact adhesive, which worked well without damaging the fabric. It's available from Tesco Direct for next day delivery to a branch.

Finish was superb. No wrinkles at all, but you have to work quite fast, so it's useful to have at least 2 people!

I might use the same stuff to make some devore velvet panels if I get any light spill on the walls near the front.

I'm trying some cheaper "Economy Foam PVC Board" for the screen surround/masking which should arrive tomorrow. Will let you know how that compares to Foamalux.

Last edited:

Neil in Bristol

I'm trying some cheaper "Economy Foam PVC Board" for the screen surround/masking which should arrive tomorrow. Will let you know how that compares to Foamalux.
Used this for the screen masking. It's not quite as rigid as foamalux, but did the job and cost a lot less. It covered it in leftover fabric from the ceiling.

I'll get some more photos on here soon. Phase 1 is practically finished. Only problem is that my camera doesn't have a wide enough lens to show the room properly. I've tried making a small panorama, but that doesn't quite work. Any suggestions?

HDLAD

Novice Member
great thread , this is what happens when you put time , dedication and saving money into it ;) lookforward to see the finish !! :smashin:

have thought about mood lighting myself philips 21:9 ambilight seems to be a good job or their floor lamps( atrocious money though!)

your screen seems to be a pretty wide screen what ratio will this be????

Midge01

Superb work Neil, just superb.......................

Midge

djpaulc247

Distinguished Member
This looks great, I rent my house and can't wait to buy somewhere and do something like this or Phil's, I love movies and a home cinema would be amazing!

Out of interest what was your budget for the room and how much have you actually spent?

Neil in Bristol

your screen seems to be a pretty wide screen what ratio will this be????
It's 2.40:1. My projector is 16:9, so I'm showing a letterbox image with the black portions off the top and bottom of the screen. It's very hard to see any stray light when the screen edges are in place (not shown yet in photos).

In future, I'd like an anamorphic lens, but they;re not cheap :eek:

Neil in Bristol

Out of interest what was your budget for the room and how much have you actually spent?
I expected to spend up to £1000 on the new AV equipment, £500 on the carpet and £500 on the materials (i.e. timber, paint etc). We already had the projector and an old sofa we could use until we found a new one.

Turns out I wasn't too far out. Materials ended up costing more than I expected, though. That was in part due to the star ceiling and soundproof material for the floor which we didn't originally plan to have.

We did buy a new sofa, too, which was £800.

Breakdown of costs below, if you're interested. It shows the cost of making the whole room from scratch, even though we already had the projector.

AV Equipment
Epson EH-TW 3500 Projector £1,200
Onkyo 609 AV Amplifier £350
Wharfedale DX1 HCP Speaker package £300
Panasonic DMP-BDT110 Blu-ray player £100
Flat HDMI Cables £30
Speaker Cables £78
Maplin IR Extender £29

Materials
Foamalux for ceiling £100
Tecsound 35 Acoustic floor covering £350
Velcro for masking £18
Maplin speaker felt £12
MDF, chipboard and timber £100 (approx)
Misc fixings, consumables etc. £100
Dunelm Mill blackout cloth for screen £20
Foam PVC for screen masking £40
Wool serge fabric for star ceiling and masking £54
Paint £100

Lighting
11m dimmable rope light £40
240v Downlights £50
Star kit £150
15mm LED Lights for stage £20
Siemens lightwave remote kit £100

Furnishings
Carpet £240
Carpet fitting and underlay £130
John Lewis black leather sofabed (Swindon outlet store) £800
IKEA Tupplur blackout blind £13
IKEA Lack tables (three temporary speaker stands!) £15

Total £4,539

I'll post some photos when I've managed to get some good ones.

Last edited:

djpaulc247

Distinguished Member
Thanks for that, straight away the projector and couch is £2k so £2.5k for the rest is really good. Definitely a pipe dream of mine and hopefully, in the not to distant future, I'll have my own home cinema thread on here :)

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
I honestly think this is a great project, and stunning when you consider how cheap you've done it for. Amazes me that other threads where an installer was paid and did everything gets more coverage and praise than something like this, which is ambitious, quality, and really importantly...was done by you :)

Looking forward to seeing the finished product :thumbsup:

Neil in Bristol

I honestly think this is a great project, and stunning when you consider how cheap you've done it for. Amazes me that other threads where an installer was paid and did everything gets more coverage and praise than something like this, which is ambitious, quality, and really importantly...was done by you :)

Looking forward to seeing the finished product :thumbsup:
You're too kind!

In hindsight, there are things we would have done differently, so I'm sure a professional install would be better, but I'm very pleased with the result for the price.

Of course, we do have the option to add or change things as we go along. Acoustic treatments and projector housing are two projects over the coming months.

peterc14

Standard Member
Great job... trying to make a screen myself but not making great job of it.

What did you use for the screen border? Where did you purchase and how did you fix it?

Neil in Bristol

peterc14 said:
Great job... trying to make a screen myself but not making great job of it.

What did you use for the screen border? Where did you purchase and how did you fix it?
The screen border is made from foam PVC, covered in black fabric and attached using Velcro to the outside frame, rather than the screen itself. Bought the foam PVC from Robert Horne online.

What aspect of making the screen are you having trouble with?

peterc14

Standard Member
The screen border is made from foam PVC, covered in black fabric and attached using Velcro to the outside frame, rather than the screen itself. Bought the foam PVC from Robert Horne online.

What aspect of making the screen are you having trouble with?
Thanks Neil.

I am trying to make a freestanding screen so that the screen can be removed when not being used. I have made a screen from timber and blackout cloth but having a bit of trouble in relation to the border.

So did u fix velcro to the screen and then use this to attach the border - this might work for me,

Neil in Bristol

peterc14 said:
Thanks Neil.

I am trying to make a freestanding screen so that the screen can be removed when not being used. I have made a screen from timber and blackout cloth but having a bit of trouble in relation to the border.

So did u fix velcro to the screen and then use this to attach the border - this might work for me,
My screen fits inside a timber frame that's part of a false wall. I've attached the Velcro to that.

If you want to attach something directly to the screen, perhaps you could attach rare earth magnets to the edges of the screen frame, behind the screen material and corresponding magnets on the back of the border? Attaching velcro to the screen material would probably be a bad idea.

peterc14

Standard Member
My screen fits inside a timber frame that's part of a false wall. I've attached the Velcro to that.

QUOTE]

Neil... thanks for taking time to reply.

So is your border make up as follows... timber frame with blacl velcro stuck to timber and then something else put on the velcro?

Thanks Again.

Neil in Bristol

@PeterC

I'm probably not explaining it very well!

The border is made from foamalux covered in fabric. It's attached by Velcro to the 'fake wall' timber frame that you can see in all the early pics in this thread. The screen is made from a separate wooden frame with blackout material stretched over it which in turn sits in a hole in the timber frame. Hope this makes sense!

peterc14

Standard Member
@PeterC

I'm probably not explaining it very well!

The border is made from foamalux covered in fabric. It's attached by Velcro to the 'fake wall' timber frame that you can see in all the early pics in this thread. The screen is made from a separate wooden frame with blackout material stretched over it which in turn sits in a hole in the timber frame. Hope this makes sense!
Thanks Neil - I think I understand now.

The border is made from foamalux - was this one sheet cut to form the border or couple of pieced attached (glued?) together. My screen is slightly larger than 8 x 4 sheet, so not sure foamalux comes i this size.

The foamalux is covered with black material - velvet? Where did you buy the velvet from - seems to be expensive material.

Then the foamlux is stuck to the frame via velcro strips.

I have never actually heard of foamalux - would you recommend it?

Neil in Bristol

peterc14 said:
The border is made from foamalux - was this one sheet cut to form the border or couple of pieced attached (glued?) together. My screen is slightly larger than 8 x 4 sheet, so not sure foamalux comes i this size.
You can get foamalux in larger sizes as a special order, but it might not be worthwhile. I made the border from 6 pieces. You can't see the joins unless you look hard. If I were to do it again, I'd use gaffer tape to join the foamalux and cover the lot in material so it was just 4 pieces instead.

peterc14 said:
The foamalux is covered with black material - velvet? Where did you buy the velvet from - seems to be expensive material.
I used wool serge (theatre backdrop cloth) that was leftover from my ceiling. It's pretty black. I guess velvet would be better still.

peterc14 said:
I have never actually heard of foamalux - would you recommend it?
You can order samples on EBay if you want to see what it's like. It's a good alternative to hardboard or MDF because it's light, easy to cut and flexible.

inzaman

Very nice :cool::smashin:

Neil in Bristol

Thanks, everyone :)

Screen diagonal is around 115", ratio 2.40:1 constant height. I zoom out for 16:9 films to leave about 1ft at the left and right of the screen blank. I don't use any masking yet, but might consider some in future.

jagdeepp

Banned
Superb.

Very impressive indeed. The project also shows that the outlay isn't as significant as many expect for what is essentially your own mini odeon that you can enjoy without mobile phones going off and the sound of others crunching loud on tortila chips during a movie.

Intrigued by your screen. I've gone with a Carada which is totally awesome. I do however hope to go wider at some point. My screen is 135" diagonal in 16:9 ( i think). I'm thinking of going scope and making a screen at some point in future. I just wonder how wide the blackout material is since my screen would probably be just under 4 metres in length by around 2.5 metres or so in width.

Neil in Bristol

jagdeepp said:
I'm thinking of going scope and making a screen at some point in future. I just wonder how wide the blackout material is since my screen would probably be just under 4 metres in length by around 2.5 metres or so in width.
The Dunelm Mill material is 135cm wide. I think you'll struggle to get anything much wider, unfortunately.

Phil.LFC

Novice Member

Trending threads

Latest news

Google Home update leaves smart speakers dumb
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG Display posts Q3 losses of $377 million
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix reveals how viewing metrics determines a show's success
  • By Andy Bassett