My custom made AV rack

Oily

Novice Member
I made this because i couldn't find anything suitable or if i did it was to expensive.Its made from ally box section and 10mm acrylic for the shelves.I milled the slots out at work and had the acrylic cut to size,all the edges were rounded off so the kids couldn't slice themselves open on them ;) I installed LED's in the rear of the shelves.
Any comments ideas etc much appreciated
And oh,i made the speaker stands aswell :smashin:

inzaman

I'd agree it looks pretty smart.

thfccambs

Banned
Very good job mate.:thumbsup:

Knightshade

Novice Member
Nice Work:smashin:

cossie

Looks good

I've just asked my mate who works at the family joinery firm to make me a cabinet with 8mm glass shelves which I also wish to back light with Led strips.

Which make of Led did you use and any chance of a photo of how you attached them to shelves?

Oily

Novice Member
Looks good

I've just asked my mate who works at the family joinery firm to make me a cabinet with 8mm glass shelves which I also wish to back light with Led strips.

Which make of Led did you use and any chance of a photo of how you attached them to shelves?
I used some high intensity LED's out of some pushbike lights(don't ask why:D)
To mount them i just drilled into the acrylic with the appropriate sized drill bit
There some more photos here:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=606850

Knightshade

Novice Member
You could've gone the whole hog and put in 'knightrider' style leds......:thumbsdow

Per156GTA

I like that very much.

What is the total height of the unit, to the underside of the TV?

You might be better to place the centre speaker under the TV instead of the floor, for the sake of clarity of dialogue!

Cheers

Per

badbob

Banned
That centre speaker will sound lousy on the floor. Can't you space out the speakers more?

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
I like that very much.

You might be better to place the centre speaker under the TV instead of the floor, for the sake of clarity of dialogue!

Cheers

Per

That centre speaker will sound lousy on the floor. Can't you space out the speakers more?
Whats the betting that it isn't finished yet, and that the top shelf there is for the centre speaker - but looking at the state of the room everything hasn't been put in place yet.......? ;)

badbob

Banned
I would also remove those pink LED's. Looks tacky and a eyesore. And buy a better subwoofer. :D

inzaman

I would also remove those pink LED's. Looks tacky and a eyesore. And buy a better subwoofer. :D
And to quote badbob's signature;

"Remember, if you like it, it doesn't matter what others think." :smoke::cool:

Oily

Novice Member
I like that very much.

Cheers

Per
Total height 115cm.A few people have said move the speaker,i'm new to this av malarky so i didn't know where to position it :blush: I'll move asap

Why do they need to be spaced out more,the B&W manual says space them out 1.5 metres which they are.Besides they can't go any further due to the doorway.

Whats the betting that it isn't finished yet, and that the top shelf there is for the centre speaker - but looking at the state of the room everything hasn't been put in place yet.......? ;)
You guessed it :smashin:

They're red and whats wrong with the subwoofer?

Per156GTA

For me, that is an ideal height, as then the TV is at perfect eye height when seated.

Too many people place the sets way too high!

Top job, well done :smashin:

Cheers

Per

Oily

Novice Member
For me, that is an ideal height, as then the TV is at perfect eye height when seated.

Too many people place the sets way too high!

Top job, well done :smashin:

Cheers

Per
Thanks.

Just an update,i've moved the speaker as advised.We'll see if i can tell the difference :blush:

Attachments

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Nice! :thumbsup:

At least you remembered to put some clothes on when you took the photo. :rotfl:

visioneer

Novice Member
I agree with comments so far, top job :thumbsup:

One thought I had regarding the LED's was that if you had used frosted acrylic then the light might have been dispersed across the shelf better giving a more diffuse look. This assumes of course that the edges could be frosted too, not sure if that's possible or not.

Oily

Novice Member
I agree with comments so far, top job :thumbsup:

One thought I had regarding the LED's was that if you had used frosted acrylic then the light might have been dispersed across the shelf better giving a more diffuse look. This assumes of course that the edges could be frosted too, not sure if that's possible or not.
Thanks

Hmmmm,i not sure either,the guy said he would polish the edges so i'm guessing you could get frosted :confused:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews

Latest News

What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Warner Bros 2021 movies coming to HBO Max and cinemas simultaneously
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett