My Computer folder slow to open/load up !

S

singhie

When I double click 'My Computer' folder, it takes 30 secs or so to display the content icons. It just displays an empty window with the egg timer icon until the icons appear.
Its the same when accessing through explorer as it takes ages to load up.

Can anyone please advice on how to solve this problem.

Thanx !!

Turning off 'thumbnail' view should speed things up if that's what you use, not sure what's actually causing the issue though. :)

Thanx for the reply.
I have it set to view in tiles mode so it can't be that thats causing the problem.
All other folders ie' 'My Documents' open up normally without any delay.
Once all icons can be seen it then runs fine thereafter.

May be its trying to read the title of the CD/DVD, and the CD/DVD is badly scratched? Try emptying the optical drives first.

Do you have a printer? If so, what make is it?

singhie said:
Yes, its the HP Photosmart 3210
Is your printer software up to date, as there are reports on the web that suggest this issue can be caused by the HP network printer software? If not, I would recommend that you head over to HP website and see if there are any updates (critical or otherwise) available for your printer:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?lc=en&cc=uk&lang=en&dlc=en&product=439488&os=228 (I assume this is the correct printer)

I've used HP printers in the past and there is usually a software component that can check for any updates (or you could just use the "Automatically check to see if you need an update" from the link above).

Do you have any network shares mapped that are not available - that will really slow things down as it waits for the remote system to reply.

singhie said:
Thanx Plexshaw, I'll try this out tonight after work.
Let us know how you get on.

All my HP software/drivers etc did need updating however this did not solve the problem.
Also I have no networks mapped so its not that neither thats causing the delay.

Ahh... dang. :(

I was really hoping that would help. Just out of interest, how much of the HP stuff needed updating?

Everything under the update section from the link you sent was update.
Although I used the HP option on my computer to do it rather than the HP website itself.

Is there anyone else with any solutions.
Its getting extremely annoying now as when you try accessing anything listed in 'my computer' it takes far to long to load up.

Please help !!

It is most likely to be your printer drivers as I have seen this before, the HP update does not always work effectively. Its due to the WIA agent and the image part of the drivers.

Try uninstalling the printer drivers, reboot and see what happens - if its back to normal then download and install the latest drivers for the printer plus any update packs.

Thanx JuzzyD.

I re-installed the drivers and software and then updated it. It has now fixed the problem.

Hi, the same thing happened to me and I went to the control panel and found administrative tools, services and then scroll down to Windows image acquisition. double click the Windows image acquisition and change it from manual to disable. Your problem will be solved as it did on my computer. I think that all this pertains to is cameras etc. Fred

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom