My Complete Loft Apartment Renovation

Discussion in 'Members DIY Home Cinema Showcases' started by ollyrayns, Jun 29, 2015.

1. ollyrayns

ollyrayns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hello everyone,

Well I've been watching this thread for the past 5 or so years waiting patiently to buy my first place. I've gained quite a few ideas and thought it's been very interesting and worthwhile. Well a year ago I finally got the chance to buy my first property but annoyingly the only place I really wanted to buy was let until May this year! So I purchased with the tenants in situ and got down to waiting and planning.

I had some great ideas about what I wanted to achieve and decided to get some help for bathrooms and kitchen design from a local interior design company who have been really good (at spending all my money) but no seriously they have helped a great deal and have came up with some great design ideas. The rest of the designs have come from looking on websites like Pinterest and Houzz and have the useful help from my close friend Grace (I know during the last year I've tested her patience by going on and on about different ideas here and there!!).

Well after a few complications when the tenants moved out I've finally managed to get the apartment stripped out (in about three days).

Here are some photos of the apartment before I ripped it all out

Views of the living room
    thumb_DSC01747_1024.jpg
    thumb_DSC01766_1024.jpg
    Old Kitchen:
    thumb_DSC01772_1024.jpg
    This is the dining area of the living room:
    thumb_DSC01753_1024.jpg
    The hallway:
    thumb_DSC01775_1024.jpg
    Main Bathroom:
    thumb_DSC01780_1024.jpg
    thumb_DSC01779_1024.jpg
    Awful shower (looks like it belongs in a vets)
    thumb_DSC01782_1024.jpg
    Bedroom Two:
    thumb_DSC01784_1024.jpg
    thumb_DSC01792_1024.jpg

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  2. ollyrayns

ollyrayns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Master Bedroom:
    thumb_DSC01794_1024.jpg
    thumb_DSC01799_1024.jpg
    thumb_DSC01800_1024.jpg
    Dressing area to Master Bedroom
    thumb_DSC01803_1024.jpg
    thumb_DSC01805_1024.jpg
    En-suite:
    thumb_DSC01808_1024.jpg
    thumb_DSC01810_1024.jpg
    thumb_DSC01812_1024.jpg

3. Mr X

Mr X
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,646
    Looks like a great space. Looking forward to seeing it develop :)

4. Picko

Picko
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Wow, that place seems to have a bit of everything. The main living space is looks really smart and clean, so any improvements should just add to that... I hope it goes well mate! How much roughly do companies charge for interior design ideas? Hundreds or thousands?? Design is not one of my strong points and is the main reason I can't ever get started!!

5. ollyrayns

ollyrayns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Well the company I went to are quite high end but only charge £150 per bathroom/ kitchen you need designing. I got it for nothing because my friend Grace (who helped me with most things) works for them. I gave her my ideas and budget, she double my budget :facepalm: and we went from there.

6. ollyrayns

ollyrayns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Here are some photos of the stripping out of the apartment. This task for me was hard because I only had three days off work to get everything stripped out and to the tip (that was a nightmare as the van I rented didn't fit into my apartment's car park (I only found that out when I took it down the tightest car park entrance and got stuck on an RSJ and had to reserve the van up and around and out. Potentially one of the hardest bits of driving I've ever had to do!)

Taking down the boarding around the RSJ's. The three exposed RSJ's are going to be painted the same colour as the radiators are being powder coated in. Its a grey RAL colour
    thumb_DSC01944_1024.jpg
    I took down the little stud wall partition. I'm having a glass banister made and placed here instead so it's much lighter and more open.
    thumb_DSC01948_1024.jpg
    Two RSJs stripped now. It was rather hard work as they are double boarded (for fire regulations) which meant a lot of smashing and pulling.
    thumb_DSC01947_1024.jpg
    Out come the kitchen draws and oven.
    thumb_DSC01953_1024.jpg
    Here is a photo of me with my head in the cupboard! Last remaining one.
    thumb_DSC01959_1024.jpg
    And all the kitchen units out now, stud wall around a waste pipe gone and some of the tiles being stripped off.
    thumb_DSC01960_1024.jpg
    The wall between the Master Bedroom and the living room needed to come down for my new kitchen design as I needed to take the wall back by just over a meter into the Master Bedroom so I could work a good kitchen layout
    thumb_DSC01961_1024.jpg
    All the glass blocks are gone now.
    thumb_DSC01963_1024.jpg
    Next we had to take down the top part of the wall. The living room floor has been suspended for some reason (after looking in the void there doesn't seem to be much reason as to why) but this obviously meant the bedroom floor is lower than the living space.
    thumb_DSC01965_1024.jpg
    The ceiling in the kitchen was suspended which had to be taken down, as does the section of ceiling in the bedroom which will now be part of the living room.
    thumb_DSC01966_1024.jpg

More photos of strip out to follow.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  7. Mr X

Mr X
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,646
    Wow! Good progress!

8. mooperman

mooperman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,992
    Daaaamn..... Looked good before so looking forward to see what you come up with.

9. Seriously Ltd

Seriously Ltd
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,728
    Subscribed!!

10. Russ 66

Russ 66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,468
    Wow that looked like a lot of fun.

11. beecee

beecee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +516
    looks like lots of work.

why did you feel the need to expose the steel joists? as you know it was covered for fire regs, and pretty sure now your house insurance will be void if there is a fire by doing that.

looking forward to seeing this develop.:smashin:

12. Seriously Ltd

Seriously Ltd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,728
    As a qualified fire safety officer for one of the UK's fire and rescue services I would double check with building control that you have not contravened the fire safety regs 2006,by compromising the structural fire resistance of the building.

If the steel RSJ's are load bearing then they usually require plaster boarding with a 2mm skim.

Steel loses 2 thirds of its structural integrity at approx 600 degrees. A compartment fire will often reach temps at head height of 1000 degrees.

13. AidenL

AidenL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,437
    I agree with Rich - RSJs are usually covered for fire resistance reasons - it's even more important if there's a property above too.....

14. ollyrayns

ollyrayns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    This was a question I discussed with my contractor and also the building firm who redeveloped the building in 2001. As I'd seen other apartments in the building with their beams exposed I knew it could be done and I was told as long as the beams are painted with layers of intumescent paint for steel this is enough for it pass any building regs.

15. Seriously Ltd

Seriously Ltd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,728
    I should have mentioned and realised you would be applying intumescent paint. These can be built up in layers to provide 2hrs fire resistance and comply with fire regs. My apologies for not seeing the wood for the trees.

16. ollyrayns

ollyrayns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    So this is just a small amount of the rubble sacks we ended up filling. In total it was over 200 bags filled plus the rest which didn't fit in bags. I had a permit to tip for free with a van because I live in the City Centre.

I didn't really read their T&C's very well because when I got to the tip for the first time they told me I was allowed 20 bags worth and a couple of others bits. Luckily I played naive and blamed the councils website and the gentleman let me off. I think the next day when I went back with an even fuller van than the first day he was a bit taken back!
    thumb_DSC01972_1024.jpg
    The wall down and the ceiling exposed. The next job was taking up laminate flooring in the living room.
    thumb_DSC01976_1024.jpg
    The is the main bathroom which I stripped out. The vets shower was a real pain to remove with the studded wall around it. I didn't get as many photos as I'd have liked here but with it being 5pm on Thursday and only have a few hours of daylight left on the final day of clearing out I was starting to panic and wasn't thinking of photographs.
    thumb_DSC01980_1024.jpg
    The ensuite with the bath products removed
    thumb_DSC01985_1024.jpg
    The dressing area with the wardrobe removed, the cupboard which the boiler is housed in has been removed. This will be made much smaller so I have room to put a dressing table and make it a real dressing space. The hot water tank was connected to a combi boiler for some reason so this has now been removed.
    thumb_DSC02008_1024.jpg

This is the final photo of the removal of my old apartment. Coming up next is putting it all back together again and I hope with some big improvements.

17. mooperman

mooperman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,992
    Good work. Thing I'm curious about is..... what are your actual plans?

18. ollyrayns

ollyrayns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Here are some visuals of the main bathroom:
    Main Bathroom Overhead.jpg
    Grace and I chose the bath which is called Amiata by Victoria+Albert (this was a treat) and also a matching Amiata basin. The bath in the visuals isn't the actual design of the Amiata as they hadn't at the time got a CAD 3D product to put in the design. The Amiata range looks lovely and as with all V+A products it's made from limestone. The floor under the bath has had to be reinforced as the bath weighs 65kg and takes 260 litres of water (and if you put two people in there) you're looking at over half a ton of weight.
    The floor tiles were also a treat. They are Domus Azulej Renda and to me look fantastic.
    Main Bathroom 1.jpg
    Main Bathroom 2.jpg
    Main Bathroom 3.jpg
    The Master Ensuite:
    Master Ensuite Overhead.jpg
    With the ensuite I pushed the boat out on the shower enclosure. This is 1200x900mm glass shower screen with no large metal pieces (I wanted something plain and elegant). Some of me now wishes I'd just gone for a wet room floor but it's a little late for that now!
    Grace isn't happy with the yellow wall and this has been revised now. One of her colleagues has came up with an interesting idea using masking tape to create geometric patterns so I will be running this by the decorator at some point.
    There is also now a recess going above the WC to match the one in the shower (Useful for my Bose SoundDock while showering :) )
    Master Ensuite 3.jpg
    Master Ensuite 1.jpg
    Master Ensuite 2.jpg
    The Kitchen:
    Kitchen 1.JPG
    The kitchen is being made in the UK by a local kitchen manufacturer. I could have gone for a German kitchen but looking at the quality of doors by a German company called Pronorm it wasn't anywhere near that of the local manufacturer for the same price. With Pronorm you were paying for the brand name rather than the quality. I've gone for a matt white units with a grey Silestone worktop. The appliances are all going to be Siemens including an American fridge freezer (Very excited for this). I'm having a flush ceiling mounted extractor fan over the island which is self circulating and remote controlled.
    Plug didn't produce the designs/ visuals for the kitchen.
    Kitchen 2.JPG

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  19. mooperman

mooperman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,992
    Very nice indeed mate!

20. AidenL

AidenL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,437
    Very nice, I'm liking that a lot.....

21. RainbowShooter

RainbowShooter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Looks like a fantastic build! Have you thought about integrating multi room audio in the designs? Would save you having to use the Bose dock!

22. ollyrayns

ollyrayns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I thought about it and looked into what I could but the cost of the renovation made me think twice about multiroom audio because I'm already at the ceiling cap for my type of property in my location.
    I've gone for two rocki wifi music devices for the living room and master bedroom so I have multi room audio for there. Sadly the bathroom will just be the Bluetooth Bose sound dock.

23. ollyrayns

ollyrayns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Update: I happened to be on holiday the second week into the refurbishment so I've not managed to get as many photographs as I'd have liked. The first week was mainly the electricians doing their first fix and rewiring the apartment. Every light has been moved and pretty much every socket in the apartment has been moved or is new. The plumbers also carried out their first fix mainly moving pipework for the new placement of the bathrooms, radiators and kitchen.

The second bedroom with the new flooring for the hallway and living kitchen. It's a solid European oak. It happened to weigh nearly a ton, luckily it fitted in the lift!
    thumb_DSC02011_1024.jpg
    The new stud wall going up between the Living room and the Master Bedroom. On the right hand side you'll see the entrance to the Utility room I've created
    thumb_DSC02013_1024.jpg
    Not a lot to see. The cables are starting to come through the ceiling in multiple different places and plenty of timber for the new stud work.
    thumb_DSC02015_1024.jpg
    The main bathroom, stud and boarding for the wall to create a nice recess the length of the bath. The WC is only there at the moment because the old shower waste works for the gentleman to have a toilet. The plumber has fitted the new pipe work for the two way valve, wall mounted bath spout and hand shower.
    thumb_DSC05742_1024.jpg
    thumb_DSC05743_1024.jpg
    thumb_DSC05744_1024.jpg
    The spare room, which has become even more of a dumping ground. The new bathroom tiles and WC's are now in here
    thumb_DSC05745_1024.jpg
    The master bedroom, the new stud wall, again a bit of a mess.
    thumb_DSC05746_1024.jpg
    thumb_DSC05748_1024.jpg
    thumb_DSC05747_1024.jpg

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  24. ollyrayns

ollyrayns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Next update:

As I'm a week or so behind it's hard to remember exactly where I'm at right now. The tiler was due to start last week and should have been completed on the bathroom and en-suite now but I've been told he has hurt his back and now can't work. The contractor has another tiler but he is unable to start work until August 3rd! This is slightly concerning as I need to move in on August 15th.

Here is a picture of the ensuite with the toilet cistern and shower pipe work going in
    thumb_DSC05749_1024.jpg
    This image is where the old wardrobes were in the master bedroom dressing area. As you can see these have been taken out now.
    thumb_DSC05752_1024.jpg
    More of the kitchen wall has gone up now, the utility room has had the new shelving put in ready for the server.
    thumb_DSC05753_1024.jpg
    thumb_DSC05759_1024.jpg
    I was expecting the brick wall to be sandblasted to remove the white paint but after the blaster came to asses the apartment he has decided he isn't able to get his machines up into the apartment so we have had to fall back to plan B. Using a graffiti remover and painstakingly scrubbing all the bricks. This has been happening over the last week. Here is my attempt to get it started for them!
    thumb_DSC05762_1024.jpg
    thumb_DSC05770_1024.jpg
    The plasterer has been here for around two weeks now doing various different jobs, here is a finished wall in the main bathroom now just drying out.
    thumb_DSC05771_1024.jpg

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  25. Angeldevil

Angeldevil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Very nice... hope to see it done (as you :p)

26. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,100
    Will be following this to see how it turns out and whether you meet your deadline too. I'm glad you took out the glass 'bricks' as they remind me of a public toilet. I think it's going to look great based on the simulation pictures. :)

27. adonis

adonis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Good work there, cant wait to see it done

28. Dr Benway

Dr Benway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    What a great space.

I'd love to get stuck into a project like that. Looks like it will be very satisfying.

29. tony smallz

tony smallz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    putting this on the watchlist ;)

30. Plaverda

Plaverda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: