My Cinema/Listening room project, 56k modem users beware

Discussion in 'Members DIY Home Cinema Showcases' started by stevegreen, Nov 5, 2005.

1. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    Thought I would start a thread here charting the progress of my room.

As you can see from the pics below, it is currently being used as a store room for old boxes and my speakers :D (the travel cot isn't ours, we have someone staying)

The room is 13'x8' so is not massive by any means but the wall opposite the window is big enough for an image as big as 7' wide.

So, where to start.

The fuse spur for the projector is already in place though I won't get the PJ for a week, I have the new amp (Yamaha RXV2500) and the speakers consisting Polks and SVS for a 6.1 setup

New lights are being installed by my old man in a few weeks time, so I need to get the pace cleared and start thinking of decoration.

I have been thinking of carpeting the walls to stop too much sound leaking out, and to save me decorating :laugh: but have now considered that this would make the room a bit 'dead' so am now thinking; just do the lower half.

I will be making my own screen but not until I have the PJ in place to get the right image size.

This isn't going to be a quick job by any means but hopefully I shall have it nearly finished for Christmas (if i dont get too carried away)

I'll keep posting pics here so you can see how it goes :smashin:

I'll also remember to set the camera to put the date on the pictures so i dont have to bodge it next time!

This is the wall that the screen will go on:

[​IMG]

This is the rear of the room:

[​IMG]

2. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +247
    Always great to see another room from begining to end on here. Look forward to reading about and seeing all the progress you make.

Good luck :thumbsup:

3. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,082
    Me too, regular updates will do nicely and help keep you to your deadline of Christmas :)

4. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    carpet wont stop the sound leaking out steve, but it will reduce the harsh reflections in the room a little bit.

5. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    Been thinking today about putting some absorbtion material on the lower half of the room to stop some of the sound travelling too far and then carpeting the top half. Maybe some batons filled with rockwool or something similar and then plasterboarded on top.

It's all kind of open to suggestion at the moment.

6. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    Right, i've had a measure up today and have decided that the following might be the right way forward.

1. Build a framework on the screen wall 1.5" deep filling the wall.
    2. Extend this framework around the lower half of the rest of the room.
    3. Fill all of this space with insulation of some type then, maybe, staple carpet to the framework or plasterboard it (not decided yet)
    4. Above this framework, line the walls with cheap (ish) carpet tiles.

Screenwall to be completely black (except screen obviously)

I think this will give a good looking room but am a little concerned about all that carpet and soundproofing making the room dead completely.

Maybe using the carpet tiles on the top half will allow more refection of sound from the surrounds than the front three, don't suppose that is a bad thing.

Any thoughts on what level of sound proofing this would give me?

7. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    hi Steve

You wont make the room dead with carpet tiles, and you wont soundproof it by lining half the wall, how much do you want to soundproof? No sound leaving the room or just dull it down?

If you carpet the walls after its soundproofed you will dull down the harsh reflections, it wont be a fix all treatment but it also wont do any harm!

8. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    Just need to dull it down really. It's a detatched house and the room in question is over the garage.

The installation of carpet or similar is only to offer some sound absorbtion, as well as making it easy to decorate :)

9. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Ok then Steve, you have a couple of options, single baton. bit of insulation material like thick fiberglass and a layer of plasterboard, do that all round, sorted. Or you could go the whole hog and double skin it with plasterboard, or use acoustic boards, or MLV or Greenglue

Internally, carpet if you want, that will bring down unwanted reflections in the higher frequencies and see what its like after!

10. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    Right, things are moving along.

I have ordered the wood for the lower half of the room and i'm picking up the PJ tomorrow. I'll post some more pictures when the wood surround has been installed :smashin:

11. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    The room has been cleared now and I got chance to start putting some of the batons up. I painted the approximate screen size on the wall to show Lorna what it will be like :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next job is to remove the skirting and door surround and replace it with the same wood as used for the 'rail'. Then i'm going to put some baton's in making the frame complete, fill the gaps with Rockwool type material and then I can buy the carpet, both for the walls and floor.

I'm intending to make the screen sit on a frame so it is proud of the wall, the top of the room (everything above the rail) will then have carpet tiles on it.

I'm buying a smaller radiator so that I can mount the centre rear under the window sill.

My old man is coming on Sunday to install the spotlights in the ceiling, so, i'll be putiing the component cables in the loft space at the same time.

Got all of the equipment now too, picked the AE700 up last weekend :clap:

Slowly, it's coming together :D

12. R2D2

R2D2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking good keep those pics coming

13. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    Some more pics :D

Dad fitting the lights.

[​IMG]

I went for some nice recessed spots. The pack had five in but we only fitted 4.

The power point for the projector now with lead attached. Also, the component cables going up into the loft.

[​IMG]

The lights fitted.

[​IMG]

More of the lights and the front of the room with the component cable coming down.

[​IMG]

Next on the list is to finish off the woodwork frame which is now mainly done, buy a new radiator for tha back of the room, stick the insulation in.......well, you know the rest!

Bit at a time eh!

14. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +247
    It looks to be coming alonh nicely :thumbsup: I wish I had put the power plate for the PJ somewhere in the living room now instead of in the bedroom....the Wife keeps threatening to switch the thing off when I am playing on Live and she is upstairs unless I turn it off myself and there is nothing I can do about it :(

15. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    Really looking forward to seeing the carpet going on the walls :thumbsup:

16. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    Well, I have ordered 35m of speaker cable today for delivery tomorrow and have also ordered the carpet from Carpetright. Only thin carpet but it's corded and will look really nice. The lower part of the room will be in a dark grey colour with the top of the room being a light grey. The floor carpet is black.

I have decided to reverse the colours on the screen wall meaning that the majority of it will be white (the screen) but the carpet behind it will be dark grey.

Hopefully make a start on it on Thursday though I am having to do virtually all the cutting myself (should be fun!)

17. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    :eek:

And it was all going so well!!!

Been on the phone to a carpet fitter and he is coming on Thursday afternoon to help me cut and fit the carpet, meaning that all I have to do is get the wires in place and the insulation done, both joibs I could have done tomorrow night (Wednesday).

So, i'm feeling well pleased with myself. This room could be complete by the weekend with just the equipment to wire up to existing wires, speakers on the wall and the PJ to mount.

Lorna goes into the garage and see's THIS!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, off I trot upstairs armed with a saw and remove the floorboards so we can have a closer look.

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

Anyway, managed to get a plumber round tomorrow night at 5.30, BUT, the carpet bloke is coming on Thursday afternoon, so I hope Mr Plumber Man can fix the problem :rolleyes: :(

18. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    Back on track thank God!

The plumber man turned up an hour late but he came, he sorted the problem out by making a new joint ( :smoke: ) :laugh: on the radiator pipework and hey presto it's all fine :clap:

Anyway, unabated I carried on and have finished off some of the woodwork, though there is still a little left to do:

[​IMG]

I have put the wires in the spaces that I left available and secured them. I think I might throw a couple of pieces of string through, just in case ;)

[​IMG]

The sub bale is running along the bottom of the framework as it's not quite long enough to go the same route as the speaker cable, lucky that it was long enough at all actually :smashin:

[​IMG]

Then all the wires end up behind where the AV unit will be.

I'm getting quite a little mass already

[​IMG]

And finally, here is the carpet that is going to be laid and stuck tomorrow :D

[​IMG]

Oh and just to finish things off. I have ordered my Foamex screen and will collect that tomorrow. I have sourced some little velcro type things that I am going to attatch to the back of the screen and then simply pop it on the wall.

Also decided that the surround left and right are going to go on the side walls as it should be. We won't bash our heads on them as the sofa will be by the side of them!

Can't wait til this time tomorrow!

Forgot to mention, the plumber only wanted to charge me a tenner, for about an hours visit. I had to give him £20, he's going to order the new radiator (custom sized) and fit it :clap:

19. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    Glad you got sorted mate :thumbsup:

Taegugki ;)

20. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,963
    Look forward to the invite when it's all done. Are you planning to get it all calibrated? Piers only lives round the corner.

21. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    No problem Stuart, bring some eggs with you :laugh:

Not sure about the calibration yet. I think it is something that I may well do at a later stage, need to get a sofa first but, as you say, travelling expenses won't be much of an issue!

22. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    Carept man didn't turn up, so no news apart from I have the screen and all of the woodwork is finished with wires in and insulation in place.

Will post pics when I get chance :(

23. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    So, the room is now ready apart from the carpeting which hopefully will be done pretty soon. I'm contemplating doing it myself, but am a bit wary as I don't want to mess up the cutting. I may have a go on Sunday.

Anyway, this is the screen:

[​IMG]

I also put a line of batons in the centre of the current framework to make the fitting of the carpet easier and to give more fixing points.

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

and finally, the insulation in!

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

24. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    Good stuff you won't be long now :thumbsup:

25. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    [sulk mode=ON]Entirely my point. It should have been a lot further along by now, i'm getting really itchy because I want it ready now I have everything that I need so why shouldn't it be ready[/sulk mode]

Seriously considering doing the carpet my self now :eek:

26. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    Hi Steve,

If you're going to plasterboard the battoned area, you shouldn't have too many problems with the carpeting - cut it roughly to size and then staple or pin/nail the top of the carpet onto the top of the batten so the carpet cannot slide down once in place. Use thick wallpaper paste to glue it to the plasterboard. Use Stanly blades to cut the carpet agains the wall as you go. Don't worry about making a listake as you can cut again and glue the loose piece back. You can also use a painted length of dado rail or similar to sit on top of the carpet against the wall and that will hide any rough edges. You can fit some skirting board along the bottom (I painted mine black) and that will hide any rough edges there too. The internal corner edges shouldn't be too much of a problem because you can butt the carpet you put on the adjacent wall up to it and they can blend into each other (if that makes sense).

Gary.

27. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    Thanks Gary :smashin:

I was actually planning to carpet the top half of the room in a light corded carpet, that has a felt backing, this directly onto a painted wall. I think the wallpaper paste solution may work for me in that case, damn sight easier on the nose than the spray glue I was thinking!

On the lower baton area, I was planning to use the same carpet (though a different colour) but this time, simply to staple it to the wooded area, maybe a staple every 50cm or so to keep it taught. This carpet will be darker so hopefully I can lay my hands on some black staples.

The floor carpet has rubber backing, so will be spray glued onto the floorboards. This will be done last, so I may not even need skirting board if the cutting is good! :)

I'm having a carpet fitter come on Monday to have a look, but i will want to be there on fitting to 'lend a hand', I have specific places where I want wires to come out!

What do you think? Am I in cloud cuckoo land?

28. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    Does this really need an answer :rotfl:

29. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    I can probably answer it myself when it's finished, one day I'll walk in and all the batons will have fallen down :eek: :laugh:

30. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    Sounds good Steve, but I wouldn't carpet all the walls above ear heght just in case it leads to a dead sounding room. If you wallpaper paste it up itcan come down again though. It might be an idea to see what it sounds like with the bottom half and screen wall done though, because then you'll know whether or not the rest needs to be done.

I've seen a spreadsheet which showed the effects of a totaly deadened room and you lose bass absorbtion below 350hz IIRC, plus you may have to turn up the amp a bit more to counteract it if other frquencies are absorbed. It all depends on what frequency bands the carpet is effecting - being felt backed it may not have a great effect like a foam backed carpet would, so you may be OK.

Try not to have too much light coloured stuff near the screen, as it can bounce light back from the walls onto the screen and if you have some scenes that contain both bright and dark areas (like black bars with a bright scene or a moon in one corner) it can bounce back and wash out the black parts a bit. I've seen this happen and sometimes the black bits change colour and lightness depending on the film content.

Gary.