my cat has died

andy2322

Today my cat was killed by a car :( my kids are devastated and on my youngest birthday too.I know it's soon to replace her but the kids want a new cat like jinx.so if anyone can help who has a kitten that looks like her can you message me please.

ForumRunner_20120720_205045.jpg

ForumRunner_20120720_205103.jpg

ForumRunner_20120720_205119.jpg

rousetafarian

Dog, cat....whatever I feel your pain. Hope the weekend isn't too traumatic.

phillyd1981

I am sorry to hear that one of my cats went missing went missing once for a week and my wife was in a right state how old was he? have you tried asking your local cat shelters you stand a better chance of finding a similar looking kitten if you cast your net wide I would have thought that some off the bigger cat homing organisations would have a website with photos of cats that need a good home.

John Simon

This forum is such a nice place, we are so lucky to have such great members. Our cat died aged 19 two years ago, we still miss him so much that it's difficult to even think about having a new cat.

nheather

Distinguished Member
We lost our favourite cat to a car accident earlier this year.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/general-chat/1603021-r-i-p-gizmo.html

We now have a new kitten (he's about 4 months old now).

We deliberately avoided getting an identical replacement because no cats are the same and we felt we would always be making comparisons.

Even now, with a cat with totally different markings I sometimes find myself comparing them (invariably with the new one not being as good) but I have to stop myslef. I think if the new cat were a fascimilie it would be very hard not to compare all the time.

My recommendation would be to get a nice shelter kitten or cat and don't worry too much about the colour and markings.

Cheers,

Nigel

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Coommiserations, I hope everyone gets over the loss.
How about taking the kids to the shelter when they are ready?

aVdub

Banned
Lost a good little fella (jack russel) to a hit and run driver on new years day 2000. Died in my arms when found trying to crawl back home
It was my fathers dog and he, after a couple of days, went out to one of those pet rescue centers and came home with two smashing dogs.
We never forgot nutty Jack, but those two little rescue dogs really helped.

montybaber

So sad, sorry to hear this

We lost our cat last Sunday we had her since a kitten and she was 12, she was also hit by a car.
Luckily somebody let us know and i collected her and buried her straight away.

raduv1

Distinguished Member
We had 3 cats Harley Abbie and Phoebe sadly Last year we lost Harley after 17 years. He was family and a friend we miss him still we felt so guilty having him put to sleep but the poor guy was very ill. They all have their own personality and we all miss them . Jinx looked like a cracker sorry for your loss and hope you find another just like him .

Wild Weasel

Distinguished Member
My condolences; It's a horrible feeling. I had to have my cat Emily put down last month due to hepatitis. She was only 8 years old. :(

Got a couple of tom cats (brothers) from the RSPCA today. They're upstairs now exploring.

dc8900

Distinguished Member
Sorry to hear that mate :( my cat is about 9 years old now, I do dread the inevitable day :(

andy2322

Hi thanks for all the kind messages family is heartbroken.we still got her brother and he is feeling the loss too so sad.got a family holiday soon so will go to a shelter when I'm back and let my girls pick a new cat.

nheather

Distinguished Member
we still got her brother and he is feeling the loss too so sad

My experience.

We had two cats, a ginger male and a black\white female, not brother and sister but aquired together when they were both kittens. The female was always shy but got on with the male.

At the age of 3, the male was killed when hit by a car.

We have since got a tabby male kitten - he was 8 weeks when we got him.

He is very friendly and inquisitive. We followed all the instructions about keeping them apart and introducing them slowly. The new kitten wants to be friends but female isn't having any. She doesn't fight him but she cackles, fluffs her tail and eventually runs off.

The sad thing is that she will hardly come into the house now and we hardly see her. We keep hoping it will improve but it has been going on 2.5 months now. I worry what will happen when the weather turns cold and wet.

Obviously, all cats are different, but something to bear in mind.

Cheers,

Nigel

metropolis

sorry to hear about your cat.

you may want to try some of your local animal rescue places for a new cat.many of them are overflowing with cats and kittens looking for a new home.many of them have pictures online so you can see any that look like yours.

Miss Mandy

nheather said:
My experience.

We had two cats, a ginger male and a black\white female, not brother and sister but aquired together when they were both kittens. The female was always shy but got on with the male.

At the age of 3, the male was killed when hit by a car.

We have since got a tabby male kitten - he was 8 weeks when we got him.

He is very friendly and inquisitive. We followed all the instructions about keeping them apart and introducing them slowly. The new kitten wants to be friends but female isn't having any. She doesn't fight him but she cackles, fluffs her tail and eventually runs off.

The sad thing is that she will hardly come into the house now and we hardly see her. We keep hoping it will improve but it has been going on 2.5 months now. I worry what will happen when the weather turns cold and wet.

Obviously, all cats are different, but something to bear in mind.

Cheers,

Nigel

My experiences are very similar to this so I would think long and hard before adding a new kitten to the household, especially within the first few months after the loss of this one.
Are you prepared to possibly loose the cat you have left if it doesn't get on with the kitten?
You're going to be adding a new member to the family where the previous cats were very close and the existing cat is going to see the baby as an outsider invading it's territory.

My condolences on your loss though, I'm a cat lover myself and have had cats all my life so I know how you're feeling.

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
Hi Andy,

Cat owner here too, and so all I can do is pass on my condolences to you, and your family. Losing a pet is never easy.

I would caution you on getting a new cat too soon. Kids (and adults) need time to grieve, in my opinion, and getting a new cat too soon, may mean that your kids don't get on with it, when the newbie turns out to not be like their previous pet.

Sometimes, getting a completely different type/breed/colour of cat, is the better solution/option. That way, your kids (and you too) won't be constantly comparing it, to the beloved pet you've just lost.

Pooch

ukbootlegs

Sometimes, getting a completely different type/breed/colour of cat, is the better solution/option. That way, your kids (and you too) won't be constantly comparing it, to the beloved pet you've just lost.

Pooch

I am with Pooch on this. I was gonna suggest the same thing.

I have two cats (along with the wife), one is 17 years old and one is 8. I would hate to lose either and I know I will be upset when they do pass.

My wife maintains we would get a replacement cat immediately, but I have said no.

Try a different breed, colour etc as Pooch suggests. I know I would.

NorvernRob

Distinguished Member
Really sorry to hear this, we've always kept cats and love them as pets.

Sorry to hear that mate :( my cat is about 9 years old now, I do dread the inevitable day :(

9 is still relatively young for a Cat, we've lost 3 of our old ones in the last few years - Lucky who was 17 and Pippa who was 20 (had to have them both put to sleep due to illness brought on by old age), and Lucy who was 12 to cancer.

It's a wierd feeling losing a pet when you're 35 years old and have had it since you were at school.

We've had different experiences with introducing new cats to the household, with no long term issues (and we've done it lots of times). Last year we got 2 new kittens to add to the 2 older males we already had, the older ones didn't come into the living room for around a month but then settled down and now they're all fine together.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Good point Pooch.

travid

Distinguished Member
Not a pet person myself, but it must be heart breaking for you and the family

My sincere sympathy to you and your family:(

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sonus faber unveils new flagship Arena speaker series
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sharp showcases its upcoming 4K TV and audio line-up
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
HiFi Rose announces all-in-one RS520 audio streamer
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022