Question My camcorder (W850) doesn't record 60p -but it does 50p-

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Yaffrey, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Yaffrey

Yaffrey
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello people, I have a Panasonic W850 camcorder, nice camera by the way, but I have a little problem. I'm from Europe so the camera was bought here, so it records at 50p as it is the standards here.

Is it possible to configure the camcorder to record at 60p? Probably I'm confused about this, but the image at 60p should feel more "smooth" than 50p, right? so 60p it's better.

Also, I've read from a guy in another forum that if videos are 50p then when they're played in a computer monitor at 60hz there may be problems. Is this true?

2. 12harry

12harry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    As I understand it, you will have bought the PAL-version which is 50 fps. The marginal difference with 60fps will not be noticed, but you have the right model for UK/Europe . . . .
    Some camcorders can be set for NTSC/60 fps - like GoPro but few folks notice any real difference if they forget.
    Where 50/60 appears to matter is if you include lights that are flickering at the supply frequency - and if you are in a PAL country I guess the better "Spec" of PAL is an advantage too . . .

However, "digital" has created much confusion and it will be interesting to learn what the EXPERTS here have to say
    ++ I presume you asked yr Supplier - and Pana too. - but they will suggest reading the Manual, in all probability. That can be a source of confusion as you will have found.

On my Sony camcorder the label underneath states it is 50 fps and I've not found any Option to change this. ( or wanted to).
    There has never been a problem with Monitors and even my TV ( as a PC Monitor), doesn't seem to mind. After Rendering ( saving to USB Stick ), the same TV plays the files just fine, using a BlueRay player with USB input and HDMI out to the TV. What fps I'm actually watching is anyone's guess - but it looks good and with care I'm sure yr Panasonic will be just fine.
    If panning scenes - always be about half the speed you'd like-to......as you can speed it up ( or crossfade, etc.) in the EDIT, but at least yr prime footage will be steady and sharp.
    (( Any problems with my films are down to the operator.))
    A good tripod solves so many problems and should be the standard you judge all yr shots!

Of course if the Subject is passing quickly, you should attempt to pan so as to keep them in the frame - but the whole will be blurred - but it will "look right". You can practice with cars on a fast road provided that's safe.

In short, I doubt it's an issue and certainly, in the UK
    you should be happy with 50 fps.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,543
    Most computers do output at 60fps with only a few high end ones generally being able to be configured to 50fps. The slightly faster frame rate may well give slightly smoother image with fast movement, but not really enough to worry about IMO.
    However as 12harry says florescent lighting may have visible flicker if you record at one frame rate and play back at another. So you would need to consider how you will generally be watching the footage you record, on a PC screen or on the TV played on a DVD/Blu-Ray player or .........?

Most consumer camcorders do not off the option of changing between (the misused terms) PAL @50fps & NTSC @60fps. So there is a very good chance that your camcorder is locked to 25/50 (and possibly 24) fps.
    PAL & NTSC are actually the colour encoding formats of the old analogue TV broadcasts and not directly related to the frame rate (there is such a thing as PAL60). But it is generally easier to state it as PAL or NTSC rather than get into the technical details of frame rate etc.

Mark.