My Bug has started to Bug me...!!

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by Malcolm4000, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Malcolm4000

Malcolm4000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I know that it's not the best unit in the world, but I saw a Bug on offer in Comet a few weeks ago for £99.99 and I bought it, as I'd had my eyes on one for a while,. The thing I use it for is to record radio and then listen to it on my PDA direct from the SD card on my commute into and out of London. All went well at first - even though I'd read some horror stories.

Now, though it seems to not want to do anything right at all. I have had a full programmes of my recordings fail on me over this last weekend, so I did a reset (by holding menu down for 3 seconds) and re-entered all 8 of my timers...none of which conflict with each other. But now the Bug came on OK to record Radio 2 this evening, as I checked and the speakers were off as I had set them, but when I went back an hour later, after the programme had finished the speakres were blaring out AND the programme seems to not have recorded...I don't know what to do next? Have I simply got a faulty bug?? Any advice or shared experiences would be perfect cos I loved it qwhen it worked, but I don't want it going off to record some middle of the night music show on Radio 1 and waking us up with its noisy speakers!!! I have moved the unit recently - and whilst reception remains OK, that wouldn't have altered the way the timres work, would it?

I'm baffled and any help would be greatly appreciated...maybe there is a more comprehensive reset I could use...? Anything really, I'm desperate?

M

2. ProfessorYaffle

ProfessorYaffle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Firstly, ensure you are running firmware v1.2 and not an earlier or later (BETA) version. To check, press & hold the Info button. v1.2 can be downloaded from www.thebug.com.

Secondly, ensure you are using a recommended SD card. Viking & Sandisk are good. Reformat it via the Bug. Not only reset, but power off afterwards (imperative if you do need to update the firmware).

I got a Bug for £89.99 and the first thing I did was upgrade to v1.2 and get a Viking SD card (surprisingly cheap via Amazon, by the way). I've recorded many hours via both recurrent and adhoc recordings and have only missed one (buggered around with the SD card & input recording details just after show had started - my fault!).

I love it - used to record to cassette and had no timer - so this is radio recording Nirvana!

Also note there are MP3 players out there (Samsung, for example) that support MP2 natively. And ebuyer has a £14.99 player with SD slot that plays them when renamed to MP3! Interesting!

3. Malcolm4000

Malcolm4000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ooooohhh, I'm interested in the ebuyer player, which one is it? thanks for the help by the way

M

4. ProfessorYaffle

ProfessorYaffle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Here's a link to the mostly excellent reviews of the SD player. Note the MP2 comment in the 3rd review:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...eful&filter_category=&filter_string=&offset=0

Also note that the white one is the better model, so make sure you get that version. Additionally, my only reservation is whether you'll need to use a specially formatted card (even if you do, renaming & copying MP2s to a spare card isn't too much of a chore). And it's only £14.99! Even better value if your PC has no card reader.

5. Malcolm4000

Malcolm4000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks...I'll try it - I have a order due to ebuyer this week anyway...