My Brief Guide to AppleTV as a Media Centre

bjarvis2785

Hi all,

Just wanted to share with you a brief guide that i've written.

Setting up Apple TV as a Media Centre

It doesn't cover every little aspect, but it's a start - i'll probably update it as and when i have more time to researcha bit more in to the area's i've not used myself.

If anyone wants to add any info to it and maybe make it into a forum post here then let me know and i'll gladly set it up :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Christ

Hi all,

Just wanted to share with you a brief guide that i've written.

Setting up Apple TV as a Media Centre

It doesn't cover every little aspect, but it's a start - i'll probably update it as and when i have more time to researcha bit more in to the area's i've not used myself.

If anyone wants to add any info to it and maybe make it into a forum post here then let me know and i'll gladly set it up :thumbsup:
That's a really useful guide, thanks for taking the time...

Presumably with XBMC installed you've got something with similar functionality to a Mac Mini with Plex on (in terms of a media player anyway) - is that the case?

bjarvis2785

No problems at all.

Yes xbmc would be the ATV equivalent of plex I guess.
I think when I set mine up properly I'll grab some pics etc and expand on the guide a bit.
Not sure when I'll get round to it at the moment as I'm busy ripping all my dvd's ...

RichJD

Novice Member
This has been a great help :thumbsup:

Just a few questions I hope can be answered.

I plan to use the ATV as a storage device for my lossless iTunes and hope to access it wirelessly via airport express base stations around the house, using my itouch to control it all. This way I can avoid having my mac on for this purpose.

1) Will I be able to boot up in the standard ATV OS without having my tv switched on if I were to also have hacked it with xbmc? As I understand I'll have to select which OS I want when I switch it on.....

2) I want to store all my itunes on it in a lossless format and I'm quite a bit over the 160 gig limit. Therefore, if I do install a larger HDD, will itunes accept it?

3) Any recommendations as to make and model of larger HDD? I've read somewhere that heat can be a potential issue.

4) In the hacked xbmc OS will I be able to stream 1080p files to it?

Thanks

Rich

bjarvis2785

Hi Rich,

Try these answers...

1) Will I be able to boot up in the standard ATV OS without having my tv switched on if I were to also have hacked it with xbmc? As I understand I'll have to select which OS I want when I switch it on.....
You don't really turn on/off the appletv as such. There is a standby mode in the menu, which then wakes upon button press on the remote, but IMO it's a device that is designed to be left on all the time.
Withthis in mind you don't select which menu system you boot into (xbmc or atv). Instead you launch xbmc from the atv menu. Xbmc will then run until you shut it down, at which point you will return to the atv os.
Control of either the ATV OS or XBMC is no problem via an iphone or ipod touch as there are apps available for both. My ATV used to be hidden away permanently in a cupboard and was controlled purely via iphone - This is a great solution as it would work anywhere i could get wifi access to my network.

2) I want to store all my itunes on it in a lossless format and I'm quite a bit over the 160 gig limit. Therefore, if I do install a larger HDD, will itunes accept it?
After a little playing around (with some help from this link) you will be able to set the default storage for the ATV as the external drive and iTunes will recognize it no problems.
You can then sync everything over to the ATV.

3) Any recommendations as to make and model of larger HDD? I've read somewhere that heat can be a potential issue.
Anything really... however, I would be more concerned about noise from the HDD. My ATV with external drive was hidden away in a cupboard so didn't have to worry about noise.

4) In the hacked xbmc OS will I be able to stream 1080p files to it?
XBMC will allow you to stream a 1080p file, however the ATV isn't man enough hardware wise to handle it. You will need to modify the hardware and install a crystal HD card - i haven't done much research in this field yet but google it and there's loads of info (specifically on the xbmc forums).

To get exactly what you want (including the 1080p) you would need to use xbmc with a crystal HD card. You can then get a iPhone/iPod app to control xbmc. You can then playback all your music through xbmc too.

If you don't have various file formats to playback and you decide you only want the music side of things then you don't need xbmc.

Hopefully all that helps, let me know if you need anything clarifying. :smashin:

Last edited:

Stelph

bjarvis2785 perhaps you could help me with my question regarding the crystal HD card and the Apple TV since you seem to know a lot about it?

Bascally I am also looking into adding a crystal HD card to my AppleTV once it is delivered so I can add an external drive with my HD-DVD rips to run in XBMC, however since to add the card you have to remove the wifi card I am not sure if this will ruin my plans on how im going to use the AppleTV!

I will be using Homeplugs to connect the ATV to my Router/PC so I have no issues with syncing with my iTunes, however I was planning to control the appletv with my iPod Touch, will this still be possible?

I am not sure if when you are syncing the ipod touch with the ATV ect it is syncing directly with the ATV wifi card (which would mean it wouldnt work) or if it is syncing with the router and connecting with the ATV via the network (which would mean it would work).

Any advice or clarification would be appreciated!

bjarvis2785

Hi Stelph,

As long as your ATV is accessible via your network then your ipod Touch will work - in your case it will connect through your router.

HTH :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom