My brain hurts!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by chrisc, Jan 16, 2002.

1. chrisc

chrisc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I wonder if any of you guys can help with a configuration problem I've been trying to figure out for some time.

The situation is this: I have a HC set-up with 5 Def Tech Pro Cinema speakers, a B&W active sub, with line and speaker connections, and a Marantz SR5200 (OSE) AV Receiver/Amp. This works fine. The Def Techs sound great, and are small enough to look OK.

I also have two medium-sized B&W speakers, which I used to use with a (very old) HiFi amp and CD player, in combination with the B&W sub. I intend to buy a new Hi Fi amp for listening to CDs.
    The problem is that I also need the sub for a good sound with these speakers, and the Def Techs aren't big enough for a good stereo HiFi sound. Is there a way I can connect this lot up so that I can listen to CDs through the B&W speakers, and the B&W sub, and also make use of the sub in my HC set-up?

I've thought about buying a switch to change the front speakers between the B&Ws and the Def techs, but I'd rather have a "proper" Hi Fi sound.

Any help would be appreciated!

Chris

PS. Does anyone else have this model of Marantz - the 5200 SR OSE (Original SE)? Seems like mine is different to everyone elses :(

2. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Use your B&Ws as front speakers and connect the CD to the receiver, then use direct mode to listen to music...

3. chrisc

chrisc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately the B&W's are too big to go either side of the front of the TV, and they would be positioned in the wrong place for CD listening (the TV is close to the corner of a long rectangular room).

Thanks for trying to help!

Chris

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If your amp has A and B speaker connections can you not connect the Def Techs to A speakers and the sub to the line level outlet and the B & W speakers to the B connectors with a speaker level lead from the B connectors to the sub

5. chrisc

chrisc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately not, part of the reason for wanting to use a hi-fi amp (the other part of the reason being that I want a 'proper' hi-fi sound.

Thanks anyway

Chris

6. WSC

WSC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You might consider connecting the CD player into your Marantz and then taking a connection out of your Marantz into a seperate amp. This amp would then drive your B&W's and you would still be able to use the one subwoofer.

Rgds

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're only going to use the Marantz for watching DVDs, then why don't you connect the sub to the Marantz at line level and the sub to the other hi-fi amp at speaker level. That way your sub will work with both. This is, I believe, the way you're intended to use the sub anyway (apart from the fact you're using different amps and speakers as well). What I mean is, listen to music using speaker level outputs so you can use the subs crossover to match to your hi-fi speakers and listen to DVD's using line out and the AV Receiver's LFE bass management.
    Simple really!

Hope this helps.

8. chrisc

chrisc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Smarty

Thanks! That helps a lot - I wasn't sure whether you could do that or not - I seem to remember reading something in the manual about it, but to be honest, I didn't take too much notice of it, and haven't been back to check.

Thank you

Chris