My BOSS Build Platform

paulst10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd start a thread here as a couple of members here have an interest in the project I'm currently planning, It's early days yet as I've only just received the drivers today, so I thought it'd be nice to keep the info/progress all in one thread..

I plan to do a raised platform underneath my sofa consisting of two JBL GT5-12 drivers mounted to a sheet of ply in an open baffle config, The amp I'll be using is a Behringer NX3000D and crossover at around 30-35hz and below (hoping to get TR down to around 3hz). I plan to keep it as invisible as possible by wrapping the edges of the Ply in the same black carpet used already, with the drivers mounted upside down (magnet up) underneath the two main seating positions.

I'll update the thread as I go on over the next couple of weeks.. :)

Dms33Qx.jpg

Last edited:
Look forward to it as the concept has got very popular across the Atlantic in the last few months.

I've four of these drivers behind MLP as near field subs and they provide plenty of tactile effect. I also have a BK LFE mounted in the guts of the couch, but keep wanting to try BOSS too. Will wait for your feedback before taking the plunge.

I'm also very interested, having built an IB sub a few years back with 4x15" drivers, but the 'bang for buck' for BOSS massively Trumps that (excuse the reference!).
Been tracking the BOSS thread 'elsewhere', & everyone there seems to think it's practically a no-brainer :)

I'm also very interested, having built an IB sub a few years back with 4x15" drivers, but the 'bang for buck' for BOSS massively Trumps that (excuse the reference!).
Been tracking the BOSS thread 'elsewhere', & everyone there seems to think it's practically a no-brainer :)
Yes, I looked into other options.. adding VNF subs (could cost thousands) or adding tactile transducers, 2x Crowsons worked out about £1500 with an amp. And the Earthquake Q10B is £425 without an amp. I'm hoping the BOSS setup will be a bit less than that.. so far looking at £100 for the two drivers, £210 for the NX3000D amp, a couple of sheets of Ply, some cables and connectors and isolation feet.. Should be around £400 in total. And easily upgradable just by adding another driver or two.. :)

Does the amp need to be as powerful as the NX3000D, from what I've understood, as it's not sealed, therefore no back-pressure, 80 watts per driver would be more than enough?

However if you're thinking of upgrade path in future, may make sense....

Does the amp need to be as powerful as the NX3000D, from what I've understood, as it's not sealed, therefore no back-pressure, 80 watts per driver would be more than enough?

However if you're thinking of upgrade path in future, may make sense....

Yes 80w should be enough each driver in an open baffle.. But I am also thinking of potential upgrade options in the future. Here's what AVS member trhought told me yesterday..
Each channel of the 3000 will provide enough power for your 2 JBL's. I'd recommend wiring them in series for 8 ohms which will allow the 3000 to deliver about 310 watts RMS to that one channel. That's about 155 watts for each JBL which will be plenty. The 8 ohms of impedance will also allow the Behringer to run cooler and hopefully not engage the fan as much as a result.

Then, you'll have the other channel available for another project or more drivers down the road.

Is this thread you're watching on AVS? The Hideaway Theater - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Has some excellent quotes/user reviews in the OP for anyone curious or that might need convincing on how effective a BOSS can be.. :thumbsup:

Will watch this with interest, good luck. Tried buttkickers, got NF subs, might have to give these a try once I've seen how yours turn out......................

Will watch this with interest, good luck. Tried buttkickers, got NF subs, might have to give these a try once I've seen how yours turn out......................
You tried that BEQ yet Mr miles? :devil: :D

Following this with interest, I ran speaker cable in my floor slab specifically for this purpose!

You tried that BEQ yet Mr miles? :devil: :D

Haha, still working away so just haven't had time. Nearly finished, so will give it a go soon............

Haha, still working away so just haven't had time. Nearly finished, so will give it a go soon............

At this present time, it's by far the best upgrade I've ever done. Hopefully the BOSS will contribute even further to that :D

Just taken delivery of the amp.. :thumbsup:

ACmA1YP.jpg

Before I order the cables, I'm trying to decide whether to keep it up front with the rest of the equipment and run two lots of 15m speaker cables around the room or buy one 15m RCA cable and mount the 3000D behind the seating position.. I think I'd prefer it behind, but got it nicely hidden up front behind my centre speaker at the moment.. decisions decisions :)

i6vaiGC.jpg

It depends I think if you want easy access to front panel display to switch between different settings for music and movies. If you have a universal setting however it doesn't really matter. I leave mine on 24/7 so forget it's even on.

It depends I think if you want easy access to front panel display to switch between different settings for music and movies. If you have a universal setting however it doesn't really matter. I leave mine on 24/7 so forget it's even on.
I should be able to do that at the front or back, also that could be done on the NX Edit software via laptop. I also don't listen to much music so I tend to have just the one setting with boosts applied via the MiniDSP for lower level movies (Netflix etc!)

I'm leaning toward the back as my equipment rack is running out of space and also running out of available plug sockets lol

Yeah I've run out of space up front too, its tucked away behind the sofa inside a open cabinet fed by a 12m xlr cable.

I find controlling it via the software a little cumbersome for everyday use because I have to run a 4m usb cable to the htpc in the front cabinet. Besides I have it primarily setup for movies because with music it doesn't really come into play often other than with ulf bass tracks.

Im sure you know already but when you get it all setup ensure you get the delay right, its critical for time alignment with your main subs.

Yeah I've run out of space up front too, its tucked away behind the sofa inside a open cabinet fed by a 12m xlr cable.

I find controlling it via the software a little cumbersome for everyday use because I have to run a 4m usb cable to the htpc in the front cabinet. Besides I have it primarily setup for movies because with music it doesn't really come into play often other than with ulf bass tracks.

Im sure you know already but when you get it all setup ensure you get the delay right, its critical for time alignment with your main subs.
With it behind I could get away with the USB cable I already have as my laptop is only about 1.5m away, I'm surprised I still have that particular type of USB cable as it's an old printer style one and I've never owned a printer :D

Yeh I'll probably set the delay in the NX software or the MiniDSP.. thanks for the reminder :) Probably be another week or so before I get round to making the platform though.

Pic with it behind..

14twehK.jpg

Last edited:
With it behind I could get away with the USB cable I already have as my laptop is only about 1.5m away, I'm surprised I still have that particular type of USB cable as it's an old printer style one and I've never owned a printer :D

Yeh I'll probably set the delay in the NX software or the MiniDSP.. thanks for the reminder :) Probably be another week or so before I get round to making the platform though.

Pic with it behind..

14twehK.jpg

Looks good Paul, looking forward now to your build project, lotsa pictures please!

You'll be a pioneer in a sense, dont think I've seen a dedicated thread for a BOSS platform in the UK. :smashin:

Looks good Paul, looking forward now to your build project, lotsa pictures please!

You'll be a pioneer in a sense, dont think I've seen a dedicated thread for a BOSS platform in the UK. :smashin:

How are you planning to time align them? I’ve considered this but never really found it an issue. I think as long as the BOSS beats in time to say some hip hop your golden.

I should be able to do that at the front or back, also that could be done on the NX Edit software via laptop. I also don't listen to much music so I tend to have just the one setting with boosts applied via the MiniDSP for lower level movies (Netflix etc!)

Glad it's not just me. I wonder why Netflix at times sound so dissappointingly flat even though it would stream UHD content without issue!

Yeh, I was going to say @Alaric has done one already as he posts on AVS as well..

I just got the Neutrik 4 pole adaptor delivered at 9:20pm (bit of a late one) :eek: I was hoping it was my 4k set of Apocalypse Now that should be due tomorrow (which was a bargain at £10.85) :cool:

How are you planning to time align them? I’ve considered this but never really found it an issue. I think as long as the BOSS beats in time to say some hip hop your golden.

Yeh I think it's just your sense of feeling that does it.. :)

Glad it's not just me. I wonder why Netflix at times sound so dissappointingly flat even though it would stream UHD content without issue!

Yep, Netflix/Amazon (and quite a few Blurays) are pretty tame when it comes to bass IMO, I already run my subs 2db hot in the AVR and I have additional +2db and +4db boosts on separate configs on my 2x4HD to compensate :D

Last edited:

I've obviously been absent from the underground diy world for too long.:D

Although with your IB system I wonder how much more wobble you really need ;)

I'm basing the time alignment on my experience with the current Earthquake transducers I have attached to my sofas. What I noticed was I needed it to be very precise so they were perfectly in synch (to the millisecond) with the subs otherwise it went astray and just didn't feel right. Not an exact science I know since I dont have or know of any measurement tools to do it but just based on what I know real (natural) wobble feels like from multiple sub based IB system.

Having said that I do wonder what a BOSS platform can add to the Earthquake transducers, will need to research it a bit more...

Not an exact science I know since I dont have or know of any measurement tools to do it
I wrote a vibration rta for this purpose, there is a thread on AVS that has a few users who are trying it out

Yeh, I was going to say @Alaric has done one already as he posts on AVS as well..

*WAVES*

I was a pretty early adopter of BEQ over on AVS as I've had Buttkickers for decades and i've done a fair bit of playing with them using Behringer Ultrabass pro EX1200 back on DVDs and early bluray in my old cinema set-up and the issue was that there's never been a Ultra-low sub effects channel and that kinda synthesized one. I needed time alignment for my dual Paradigm Servo 15 subs and the MiniDsp 2x4 was the recommended way to go for the DDRC-88a dirac room correction, so the HD and doing some funky dsp was a no brainer. Somewhere along that early thread the concept of the BOSS sprung up and got broken into it's own thread and to be honest compared to MOST upgrades it's peanuts and bit of effort, so i hunted out the GT5-12's.

I already had a suspended platform set-up for 5 seats, 2x buttkicker LFE's, 1 x buttkicker origional and had recently wired in a pair of clarke tst239 - Which certainly had some response, but tuning the BKs has always been tricky to get the oomph without the bottoming out thud. I modified the platform front for the two GT5's and used a spare channel from the amp powering the clarke's.

Arguably it's a fudge, the RA300 amp is 4 ohms 150w and doesn't recommend a 2ohm load and yet it seems to provide more than enough power for the pair of GT5's and pair of Clarke's and is running pretty low on both so you really don't NEED masses of power for these things!

The BOSS has awesome speed response which i think is it's biggest benefit and in my case i've managed to tune some of the other things down so the Buttkickers don't bottom but they do augment the set-up.

Between BEQ and BOSS it's an incredible experience and i'd highly recommend

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom