Quantcast

My BOSS Build Platform

drummerjohn

I should never have looked at this damn forum! Just went and ordered 2x JBL S2-1224s at £50 each.
I have 2 spare BK Elec 300w mosfet amps (silent) which will easily do the job.

Intend to use them for LFE for movies. My twin AE AV15-X subs I built 10years ago are for music.

Wull

I should never have looked at this damn forum! Just went and ordered 2x JBL S2-1224s at £50 each.
I have 2 spare BK Elec 300w mosfet amps (silent) which will easily do the job.

Intend to use them for LFE for movies. My twin AE AV15-X subs I built 10years ago are for music.
Check them straight away. Mine came yesterday. One of the magnets had come away from the speaker body. A replacements being sent out.

Last edited:

drummerjohn

Check them straight away. Mine came yesterday. One of the magnets had come away from the speaker body. A replacements being sent out. Can’t say the quality of the 1224’s as good as the 1214’s. The 1224’s feel quite plasticky.
Yep... has always been an issue when shipping speakers/drivers. Broken or bent baskets etc etc.

mbmapit

Quite a bit for a lot less power. The feeling is different/better. Watched terminator dark fate last weekend. There was one scene near the end (I should have taken its time stamp but had so much going on at the time) that really stood out. My sofa was raised/lifted off the floor for a second. I guess this is where the hoverboss got its name. Quite mental. Need to go revisit this to make sure this was what I felt just in case it was all in my head :)
Do you have any pictures of your hoverboss please? I have 3 subs and will be starting my build soon but would like to know the difference between a boss and a hoverboss if possible please.

paulst10

Distinguished Member

Wull

Yep, there the ones Paul. By far not the thickest of tubes but I haven't had any punchers yet :)

I just put one inner tube around each driver for now and left my 'DIY' Hudson idolaters in the original places. Installed a 3rd driver this afternoon. I've also placed sheet of 3mm ply on top of my carpet to maximise pressure (well that's the idea). Now want to time to see what works best.

Last edited:

paulst10

Distinguished Member
Yep there the ones Paul. By far not the thickest of tubes but I haven't had any punchers yet :)

Just put one around each driver.
Thanks, I'll grab 4 just in case I want them toward the front as well as around the 2 drivers. Do the Iso feet still make contact with the floor with the tubes installed?

unreel

I really think I'm going to have to give this a go. I've got a spare channel on my subwoofer amp, a spare channel on my Mini DSP 2x4 HD and a darkened room to hide it all in :D.

I've already got Buttkicker LFE fitted in my sofa with isolation feet fitted on the sofa, I guess I could leave these in place and fit new isolation feet under the plywood, or just sit the sofa on the plywood and hope one set of isolation feet does the trick.

What thickness ply is everyone using ?
With the inner tubes what pressures are you using ?

Wull

Thanks, I'll grab 4 just in case I want them toward the front as well as around the 2 drivers. Do the Iso feet still make contact with the floor with the tubes installed?
Not quite ‘when not sat on the sofa’ so there’s a slight wobble. But once you put weight they do. This is where I need to experiment more. Fewer the isolators the better I guess. Still early days

paulst10

Distinguished Member
What thickness ply is everyone using ?
18mm but I doubled up so 36mm (glued and screwed).. double the thickness = twice the rigidity :)

Edit: Ordered 4 tubes (2 spares if need be) should be able to test them out by this time next week :)

Last edited:

Wull

With the inner tubes what pressures are you using ?
Seems pressure around 6.5 psi is recommended. But this is hard to measure so I’ve just been using the ‘pinch test’ that m0j0 does.

“I started out with the intent of filling each tube to 6.5 psi, but my pump is probably not very accurate. So, instead I’ve resorted to a pinch test on each tube. If it’s too difficult to pinch, I let air out until it takes a little effort to pinch but still feel some resistance”

mbmapit

Hoverboss is basically the same as @paulst10 design but with inner tubes surrounding the drivers as well as. Loads gong on over at AVF. Here's a link to one:

What is the main benefit of using the inner tubes as well as the feet?

Wull

What is the main benefit of using the inner tubes as well as the feet?
"The tubes make the drivers more sensitive to the same input power, reduce excursion, and increase the tactile response. The drivers are also usually able to accept more power before reaching their maximum excursion (XMax) limit."

mbmapit

"The tubes make the drivers more sensitive to the same input power, reduce excursion, and increase the tactile response. The drivers are also usually able to accept more power before reaching their maximum excursion (XMax) limit."
Does this only apply if the inner tubes are what are holding the platform up as opposed to it resting on the feet? i.e. the inner tube is essentially creating a seal against the floor.

Wull

Does this only apply if the inner tubes are what are holding the platform up as opposed to it resting on the feet? i.e. the inner tube is essentially creating a seal against the floor.
Guess so. I’ve seen 1 inner tube placed round 2 drivers. But I think you would get better results mixing both inner tubes with Hudson type ISO for stability if nothing else. Plus guys over on AVF have tried removing all but a central ISO 'on a sofa build' and have ended up putting the ISO's back as this gave better results.
I personally haven’t used the Hudson’s. Being a cheap skate I headed down ‘Pets at home’ and got some of the rubber dog balls. Having watched @paulst10 video where he stands on a Hudson, these dog balls has similar results. Quite squashy yet take weight. Just cut them in half with a hacksaw (exact same size as a Hudson). £1. each ball. You do the maths. I got mine in the January sale too at 50p a pop :)

Attachments

paulst10

Distinguished Member
Picked up my tubes from the Post Office today @Wull :) Then realised I didn't have a pump that fits :facepalm:So will have to either buy a foot pump on Amazon or pop down to Sainsburys petrol station and borrow theirs :)

paulst10

Distinguished Member

Wull

Similar setup to a HB 'hoverBoss', but with the driver installed behind your seat firing into your back. This really hits hard. I still need to watch a few films before deciding if it's for me. But it is growing on me the more I test it. In fact to a point I think it works better than the HB. However, got to keep it real. Will this be one distraction to far?

paulst10

Distinguished Member
Similar setup to a HB 'hoverBoss', but with the driver installed behind your seat firing into your back. This really hits hard. I still need to watch a few films before deciding if it's for me. But it is growing on me the more I test it. In fact to a point I think it works better than the HB. However, got to keep it real. Will this be one distraction to far?
Do you have any pics/links? I'm feeling like I've missed something relevant on AVS lol :)
Still, I've achieved something in the last month, we've managed to almost double the BHP of my mates ST180 😱 That's some scary **** :D

paulst10

Distinguished Member
Thanks @Wull I'll take a look tomorrow :)

Although I feel the HoverBOSS might be enough for me (once they're installed) :)

Stoke192

Distinguished Member
What have you guys got your crossovers set to on the feed to your Boss’s ?

Cheers